All Chinese honey banned in UK

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madasafish

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
6 to 8 Langstroth jumbos, a few Langstroth and National nucs.
It would appear that despite it being common knowledge that Chinese beekeepers use antibiotics on an industrial scale, UK supermarkest have been selling it.

"All Chinese honey is ordered off shelves

Food watchdogs have ordered all Chinese-produced honey to be withdrawn from sale after trials found that much of it is contaminated by antibiotics.
Forty per cent of the honey sold in the UK comes from China.
Tests of 16 pots found that ten contained the powerful antibiotic chloramphenicol.
The chemical is a trigger for aplastic anaemia, a rare but serious blood disorder which affects up to 100 people in Britain each year. It has also been linked to leukaemia.
The news comes just two weeks after the Food Standards Agency told leading supermarkets to withdraw specific batches of own-brand honey produced in China which were found to be contaminated with another antibiotic, streptomycin.
The sudden withdrawal of all Chinese honey threatens to cause a UK shortage.
Two Tesco Finest Acacia Honey jars tested positive for chloramphenicol. One also contained traces of streptomycin.
A pot of Tesco Pure Set Honey also tested positive for both.
Two jars of Sainsbury's ownbrand honey and a Gales product tested positive for both.
Honey from Rowse, Bee's Queen and Asda also tested positive for at least one of the chemicals.

: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...nese-honey-ordered-shelves.html#ixzz2ijfUeUe6

I hold my breath for prosecutions and jailing of UK supermarkets directors for selling food which is actively dangerous to human health..:)

Shocking but sadly not surprising .... if they can't spot a horse in their beefburgers what chance have we got of them spotting chemicals in foreign honey .... I just wonder whether the jars (particularly Gales & Rowse etc. !) carry a warning that 'could contain honey imported from China' ....

Mind you ... there'll be a few commericial beeks rubbing their hands and getting ready for some bumper prices for their honey !! Good luck to them ... about time 'real' honey got some press ... BUY BRITISH HONEY - Where is the BBKA when you want them ?

Last edited:
I think You will soon have honey jars with label - mixture of honey from UK and honey which is not from UK. This will solve the problem ( similar as we have here some "living examples")..

Shocking but sadly not surprising .... if they can't spot a horse in their beefburgers what chance have we got of them spotting chemicals in foreign honey .... I just wonder whether the jars (particularly Gales & Rowse etc. !) carry a warning that 'could contain honey imported from China' ....

Mind you ... there'll be a few commericial beeks rubbing their hands and getting ready for some bumper prices for their honey !! Good luck to them ... about time 'real' honey got some press ... BUY BRITISH HONEY - Where is the BBKA when you want them ?

The CEO or was it the MD of ICELAND... said we did not test for horse in our burgers... but then we did not test for dog or cat either!

I hope nobody has "split" their home produced honey with this Chinese stuff !

Geez...................this story is over 10 years old! Articles with EXACTLY the same wording, by the same author, written no later than 2002.

Simple Google search turns them up.

Even british bee farmers could possibly be a little naughty and slip some imported Chinese honey into the supply chain as their own.

I hold my breath for prosecutions and jailing of UK supermarkets directors for selling food which is actively dangerous to human health..:)
Wether it is dangerous to human health all depends on levels detected and it is calculated on the average daily intake. Level of detection is usually 10PPB! It is very low.

Shortages weather real or phantom, are always good for creating opportunities to make more money for genuine product.

This should push prices for local / domestic honey up by 25 - 35%

The new news (this month) is that the largest alleged "launderer" of Chinese honey has filed for bankruptcy protection.

http://www.businessweek.com/article...t-food-fraud-groeb-farms-files-for-bankruptcy
In February, the {USA} Department of Justice announced that Groeb Farms, among the nation’s biggest honey suppliers, was involved in the nation’s biggest food fraud. On Oct. 1, Groeb Farms filed for bankruptcy.

The honey laundering case, ... involved a German company in Chicago, ALW, that was illegally importing cheap (and sometimes adulterated) Chinese honey. The honey itself isn’t illegal; mislabeling it to avoid paying high tariffs is. Two ALW executives pleaded guilty to fraud.

Groeb Farms had been one of ALW’s best customers, and after being caught in a sting that Homeland Security agents called Project Honeygate, the Michigan-based honey processor entered into a deferred prosecution agreement and paid a $2 million fine. It was also required to dispose of any Chinese honey it had in its inventory. Apparently that proved expensive: Groeb had to buy new honey just as prices were rising.

Geez...................this story is over 10 years old! Articles with EXACTLY the same wording, by the same author, written no later than 2002.

Simple Google search turns them up.

Yes ITLD ... you are right ... 2002 and 2011 ... but it has been reported by the Daily Mail as a 'current' story so what is going off ? Is chinese honey outlawed or is it not ? Is it still on our supermarket shelves and should it be ?

Anyone know ???

I think You will soon have honey jars with label - mixture of honey from UK and honey which is not from UK. This will solve the problem ( similar as we have here some "living examples")..

Already do Goran - honey produced in EC and non EC countries.

Now that we're getting a griop on the chinese honey scandal - isn't it time the great unwashed were informed of the other sh!t the supermarkets sell

MANHOOKA!

I have just searched the Mail today online (health section as indicated) and can't find any trace of this article

is it a cut and paste job?

Yes ITLD ... you are right ... 2002 and 2011 ... but it has been reported by the Daily Mail as a 'current' story so what is going off ? Is chinese honey outlawed or is it not ? Is it still on our supermarket shelves and should it be ?

Anyone know ???

Yes I do ...

The day at the top of that page is always todays date that has caused the confusion ... someone has found the article and seen the date at the top.

It is infact the 2002 article not a new News item.

Move along now ... there's nothing to see :)

OOOPS
Sorry about that.

The naughty step for a day...and a hat with a big "D" on it...

Might be an old article but begs the question: are tests carried out for antibiotics in supermarket honey regularly?

Latest posts

Back