So Denmark is rejection Chinese honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It appears that the Danish supermarket chains have rushed to remove Chinese honey from their shelves: report

I know most folk can't read this (Finman probably can), so the important point is that the food authorities have tested three samples which have turned out to be counterfeit honey, at the importer Scandic. The main supermarket umbrella organization which controls a number of chains, initially claimed that the tests used were unreliable, and then said they were trying to determine which brands were not real until the authorities put a stop to their stonewalling by fining them - they quickly removed the offending products then.

The important question is, who in the UK & Ireland has bought "honey" from the same suppliers and are continuing to sell it to the public in full knowledge that it's fake.

most I would say.

I went into an independent shop today and there was at least 40 diff manuka honeys on the shelf. surely they cant all be real.

Oh and it said it champions local produce. the most local honey was from spain lol

Last edited:
most I would say.

I went into an independent shop today and there was at least 40 diff manuka honeys on the shelf. surely they cant all be real.

Oh and it said it champions local produce. the most local honey was from spain lol

If I recall correctly a programme on TV last year indicated that there was more manuka sold than actually produced. Figure that one out!

I can just about read Danish... I think the scandal is about FAKE honey???

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search...l+china&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

Yeghes da
Abit of searching showed up this.....

http://www.poandpo.com/agrifish/fake-chinese-honey-is-being-sold-in-denmark-17-2-2016/

This is different from the AFB and chloramphenicol adulterated stuff that China has been flooding the world honey market with.
I find it disturbing when English honey packers are selling a blended product of EU and Non EU honeys alongside UK produced honey.. IN VERY SIMILAR packaging!!

Nos da

I know most folk can't read this (Finman probably can),

You can right click in chrome and get translation. Not always 100% perfect but good enough most of the time.

Tens of thousands of cups and bottles of adulterated Chinese honey was yesterday at. 16 very hastily removed from over 1000 Danish supermarkets.

This honey is fraud

Budget honey sold in supermarket and grocery store.

Apiary foreign honey sold in the Net.

Svansoe blossom honey sold in Meny, Kiwi, Spar, My Grocery and Easy-Buy.

Svansoe Mild and Fresh sold in Meny, Kiwi, Spar, My Grocery and Easy-Buy.

The products have been added cheap sugar to save on the expensive honey.

There doesn't seem to have been a case of a problem with honey since March 2014, very recent finds may appear later.

This is not to say that no honey imported into Europe has been tested or that all have passed tests applied to it, only that any problems have not been deemed serious enough to be reported.

People that buy my honey (some that are more used to the 99p stuff from supermarkets) often comment that it has more taste and is less 'sugary.

I've often wondered ....

Fake honey from China has no honey in it at all... sugar colourings and has a medicinal aroma..... unlike Makuna honey that has honey in it??
Yeghes da

As long there is honey from EU and non EU in same jar there will be such.. There is such great space for criminal, I tought in EU is much more order and it turned into pooh..
At same time our real honey is depreciated and has to be competitive with prices against a lot cheaper and lower quality " honey".
Funny I heard some mixed "honey" was sold to Germany at higher price of real honey ( metioned were that it came from Hungary and Romania so far).

Last edited:
Fake honey from China has no honey in it at all... sugar colourings and has a medicinal aroma..... unlike Makuna honey that has honey in it??
Yeghes da

Not necessarily! New Zealand produces 1,700 tonnes of Manuka Honey and the UK imports 1,800 tonnes. Some 10,000 tons of produce is being sold internationally as Manuka Honey. Somebody, somewhere, is playing fast and loose with Manuka. (Jonathan Leake (26 August 2013). "Food fraud buzz over fake manuka honey". The Times (London).)

The biggest problem is that it may not be being adulterated with honey - sugar syrup, corn syrup, etc., or Chinese honey, Indian honey - who knows? It may not even have any Manuka Honey or even any sort of honey in it - just sugar syrup and flavourings

CVB

unlike Makuna honey !!!!!

From the antipodean isles of Makuna where the Hula girls dance and the oozlum oozlum bird flies around in ever decreasing circles until it disappears up itself ... from which vantage point it views it's baffled pursuer!!!

Not to be confuse with that overprice and vastly over rated stuff that tastes like creosote and tar!

Yeghes da

Latest posts

Back