cheap hive on Amazon

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watch out for hives made from pine from Chernobyl, they are said to glow in the dark so the bees can find their way home after a skin full and a curry.

easipet hive

The come from a firm called Easipet in Devon called Far East Direct UK Ltd. Lots of bad feedback for dog beds etc but just "Some items damaged and I have to return to swap having fully assembled." on the hives - early days yet...

Someone must have bought one and could review it here - I reckon Th**nes budget with frames are better value...

R2
I know this thread started a long time ago, but...

Funny you should say that, I bought one, and have it almost completely assembled.

I'll let you know how I got on once it's finished and I've had a mentor look at it.

One concern I have about purchasing cheap cedar products (whether a hive or anything else) is where the cedar comes from. Russian cedar is often felled illegally and in the East the endangered Siberian Tiger is very dependant upon the integrity of these ancient cedar forests. China seem to have no compunction whatsoever about mass deforestation in order to supply their ever growing export industries.

So if you care about world environments, don't want to finance another countries power and wish to safeguard sustainable logging then paying a few ££s more for a British Made product made from ethically sourced materials may be necessary.
Following on from this post I suggest that you do not buy from Oak Furniture Land. I have it on good authority that the timber used is from from unsustainable forest felling in China.

No complaints

I too have bought beekeeping kit from this company and found the quality good and the turnaround excellent.

easipet hive

Hmm, I'm glad to hear your experience was positive Greg.

The OP, although it was some time ago, was referring to an amazon ad for an Easipet hive.
That's who I got my flat pack from, although I got it through ebay, and it looks like I bought exactly the same product.

Look, when everything goes well, like: The box turns up in good time, undamaged with nothing missing and it all fits together ok.
That's not really news unless you are a gambler, because that's what you paid for, it's what you expected, and when you get it everyone's happy.

But, when everything hasn't gone well, it doesn't matter how long they've been in business, or how many boxes they move, or how many passengers they carry, or serve. What defines a service, company, or trader; is how they behave afterwards, in other words, whether they give a toss or not.

As far as beehives are concerned, all that I've read and been told, suggests that what's important is the quality of workmanship, rather than what wood it's made of. So instead of buying the wood and building it ourselves at a very very low cost, we pay quite a bit of money for what we trust is good workmanship.

Last edited:
11 of 11 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Simple but good, 1 Aug 2011
By Michael - See all my reviewsThis review is from: Easipet National Beehive with Two Super Boxes 175 (Misc.)
This is a [nearly] complete cedar National hive with two supers 'Made in China'. You need to add the mesh for the varroa floor, something to space out the frames [especially in the supers] and the relevant frames. The quality of the parts is good, although if you look long enough you will find some minor [cosmetic] flaws. The brood box and supers are easy to assemble [I am not very good at this sort of thing , but I did it within minutes]. Initially I was not sure about the wooden queen excluder, but it works really well. I have not seen a comparable hive as cheap as this anywhere else. Delivery was without delay. I fully recommend this product. Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No Report abuse | Permalink
Comment Comment

8 of 8 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars National Bee Hive flat pack, 7 Sep 2011
By rusty - See all my reviewsThis review is from: Easipet National Beehive with Two Super Boxes 175 (Misc.)
I purchased the Bee Hive with some trepidation but having put it together consider it excellent value. Although of basic constructions and needing some additions like veroa mesh base and stand and minor improvements to the roof for ventialtion am pleased with the purchase. Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No Report abuse | Permalink
Comment Comment

easipet hive

It's nice to hear that a bunch of people didn't have any problems.

They paid their money and trusted that they would get a good product, seems like they did.

My point however, was that, that doesn't define the trader.
What defines the trader, is how they behave when things don't go right.

A few of these hives have been bought by our association beginners (from another source though) - they look fine, no problems putting them together. No complaints so far - and most importantly, the prices are reasonable.

easipet hive

So is there no one out there who has had a negative experience with an Easipet hive?

So is there no one out there who has had a negative experience with an Easipet hive?

The only negative side is that the wood is quite heavy, but I guess if you buy cedar that shouldn't be a problem. Just note that the roof has no ventilation holes and to me the queen excluder is not so great.. I think you can easily find cheap hives all over ebay/local workshops like peakhives and Caddon hives just to name a few. Only problem, quite long shipping times..

easipet hive

That looks like a good deal

rather than what wood it's made of

This is the bit that would worry me.

I could make a superbly finished hive in Balsa wood!

Longer term will be the key. I don't look at a product as delivered - I consider the full-life term in the costings. If they stand up to the test of time, OK. Until then...

I'll let someone else test them. Let's be hearing 5 years, or so, down the line.

I have purchased hives/hive sections from numerous outlets. Each product differs. I have 'nationals' from Thorne, Peak-Hives and Caddon. There are workmanship and wood quality/density/colouration differences in all of them.

Personal and ethical approaches as to why you may purchase from a particular supplier may contribute to you purchasing decision. I know that when I purchase from UK workshop such as Peak-Hives that I am directly paying the craftsman and supporting UK manufacturing. I know when available they obtain cedar from the Chatsworth Estate, thus reducing the environmental impact of transporting wood from the far east.

Overall I tend to purchase hive parts from Thorne. Happy with the quality and the price you pay for that. Stock availability at Thorne is never an issue whereas Peak-Hives you may be waiting 6 weeks :eek: Caddon have their hive products 'temporarily out of stock for at least 5 weeks now. Interesting to know what their definition of 'temporarily' is.

Interesting to know what their definition of 'temporarily' is.

For a workshop with just the sole trader or perhaps a couple workers, there is likely a dilema at times.

If an order for, say bespoke 30 windows and half a dozen doors comes in at a far better profit margin, the 'quiet time work' may get delayed. At the prices charged for some products it is clear that they are not hugely profit-making. To cut the costs they are needed to be 'stacked high' with large runs on production-run machines.

This may not be the case in all instances, but that is what I would suspect happens - the building trade comes first.

I have purchased hives/hive sections from numerous outlets. Each product differs. I have 'nationals' from Thorne, Peak-Hives and Caddon. There are workmanship and wood quality/density/colouration differences in all of them.

Personal and ethical approaches as to why you may purchase from a particular supplier may contribute to you purchasing decision. I know that when I purchase from UK workshop such as Peak-Hives that I am directly paying the craftsman and supporting UK manufacturing. I know when available they obtain cedar from the Chatsworth Estate, thus reducing the environmental impact of transporting wood from the far east.

Overall I tend to purchase hive parts from Thorne. Happy with the quality and the price you pay for that. Stock availability at Thorne is never an issue whereas Peak-Hives you may be waiting 6 weeks :eek: Caddon have their hive products 'temporarily out of stock for at least 5 weeks now. Interesting to know what their definition of 'temporarily' is.

:iagree:

For a workshop with just the sole trader or perhaps a couple workers, there is likely a dilema at times.

If an order for, say bespoke 30 windows and half a dozen doors comes in at a far better profit margin, the 'quiet time work' may get delayed. At the prices charged for some products it is clear that they are not hugely profit-making. To cut the costs they are needed to be 'stacked high' with large runs on production-run machines.

This may not be the case in all instances, but that is what I would suspect happens - the building trade comes first.

Close to the mark I'd say RAB

I have a friend who is a self employed cabinet maker. Commissions come first after that he produces stock items, which is the cabinet making equivalent of what O90O says above. This will almost certainly be the reason for temporarily out of stock.

On the up side it means they are making a living and will be there to supply your needs in years to come.

...Caddon have their hive products 'temporarily out of stock for at least 5 weeks now. Interesting to know what their definition of 'temporarily' is.

It's worth contacting them. I and a friend both got hives from Caddon in the last month despite the website saying they were out of stock.

It's worth contacting them. I and a friend both got hives from Caddon in the last month despite the website saying they were out of stock.

Sssh ! Dont tell the great unwashed that for the courtesy of a personal call its still possible to get service.

Back