cheap hive on Amazon

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RAB,
you are quite right it is an outrageous price for foundation. But everyone does it i.e. selling a range of products, some at bargain prices and some with high profit margin. I think the supermarkets pioneered this practice. Personally I get upset with honey being sold as a loss leader down my local Morrisons.

Come on folks supermarkets do this all the time sell some things cheap and others are more expensive give the guy a break. Some people sell nucs more expensively than others doesn't mean the product is bad or the seller is bad either.

Last edited:
One concern I have about purchasing cheap cedar products (whether a hive or anything else) is where the cedar comes from. Russian cedar is often felled illegally and in the East the endangered Siberian Tiger is very dependant upon the integrity of these ancient cedar forests. China seem to have no compunction whatsoever about mass deforestation in order to supply their ever growing export industries.

So if you care about world environments, don't want to finance another countries power and wish to safeguard sustainable logging then paying a few ££s more for a British Made product made from ethically sourced materials may be necessary.

I agree with Chris B and VEG; Rodney is perfectly entitled to put whatever price he wants on his wax, if he can sell it at a greater price than the competition more power to his elbow. It's called an open market and I'd sooner have that than fixed prices, which I see as one step away from communism.

Last edited:
Rodney is perfectly entitled to put whatever price he wants on his wax,
Agreed . Perfectly entitled.

I reckon I am also perfectly entitled to my view that it is grossly overcharging - probably to some that could ill-afford to fall into the 'trap' set (~50% discounted pricing claim). And we know that for all these claims of discounted prices it only needs to be offered for sale at the higher price for a limited period in a limited location to be legal. I may be asking where and when shortly.

You are very welcome to buy your wax foundation from Rodneydavies' company at those prices. I would personally prefer the more tried and accepted wax from a UK supplier than risk that of a 'far east' importer, given a similar pricing structure - many of us may remember the problems with Chinese honey and would not want to even risk our bees being 'contaminated' with anything which might conceivably be sourced from China. Perhaps that is me being particularly fussy.

At less than one fifth of the quoted normal retail price, I don't think I would be alone and most of those who have bought (from this source) would follow me rather than buy at those prices again.

On a more subtle point from your post, Is this actually rodney's company? Or is rodney simply an employee? The way your comment was worded is making me wonder now, what with forum rules. Off for a look at Company House now. Back later.

RAB

Another warm welcome to the forum.

Hope Rodney survives the baptism of fire. Comes up with some scorching answers to questions and gets over the shock of the initial welcome.

Never mind Nellie, You can support him by buying his foundation. Bet you don't though (unless just to win the bet!).

RAB

Course I won't, I don't use the stuff.

Don't see it as giant conspiracy though either. If a couple of packs if their foundation stops the package looking attractive on price then don't buy it.

Frankly more interesting questions have been asked, such ad where the wood comes from,than trying to spin a conspiracy theory into expensive wax.

Thanks for the heads-up rodneydavies.

One last question (before I move on from this thread, if answered satisfactorily):

Where (location) and when (time period) was your product recently offered at the full price given - £26.99 for ten sheets of shallow National wired foundation - before your apparent reduction to three times a more 'normal' figure?

RAB

Last edited:
I didn't realise that Trading Standards were here!

The guy is running a business, had the decency (or commercial awareness) to sign up to the forum to answer questions about the hives. He then get's an incredibly hard time about the pricing of another product.

Surely business is business, we all need to make a living somehow and when selling, some things are your profitable items and others a loss leader. I don't think he should have to justify his pricing to anyone other than the person who is intending to buy it, those here who are giving him a grilling over it obviously arent!

Also quite why anyone would care about the ownership of the company, let alone take enough of an interest to actually waste their own time looking it up is totally baffling!

I don't blame rodney for not coming back to answer any more questions, I've only just joined, seen this thread and am wondering if I want to, if this is how people are treated here, it's verging on bullying!

I joined in the hope that I could get some sound advice from those with far more experience and (as with many forums) I'm reading people bickering and trying to out smart each other already.

we got one from th****s for 116.00 came complete with 2 supers, mesh floor, qe, frames and foundation for both supers and brood, nails, glue, crown board, the complete package really. made it up and its great. Cedar as well

we got one from th****s for 116.00 came complete with 2 supers, mesh floor, qe, frames and foundation for both supers and brood, nails, glue, crown board, the complete package really. made it up and its great. Cedar as well

They are very good value - would be nice to see a 14x12 option as well.

I don't blame rodney for not coming back to answer any more questions

To be honest, I didn't think he would be back. At least the thread gives a 'heads up' to those who otherwise might have been duped into thinking 'less than half price' was a 'bargain'.

Giving it a 'bump' will, no doubt get the attention of a few more new beeks who will be able to avoid those exceedingly excessive prices for what could be cheap pesticide-ridden foundation from China. Perhaps you also need to read the Chinese honey 'scam' (via India) on the forum too. I suppose you consider those selling that (pesticide and antibiotic ridden honey) are good guys too?

Welcome to the forum.

Back