changing veils

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iawtkb

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I have a jacket with the fencing type of veil, but I would like one the other, rounder ones. Are the zips standard - can I simply buy a new head piece and swap?

The zip on my BB wear jacket is compatible with the sherriff apiarist but the zip on two other cheaper suits I own is larger
If you know someone who is good with a sewing machine they can swap zips over if required.

I have a jacket with the fencing type of veil, but I would like one the other, rounder ones. Are the zips standard - can I simply buy a new head piece and swap?

Not as such. And definitely not between brands as a matter of course.

However, some manufacturers (BBwear to my knowledge - perhaps others) deliberately design to permit such interchangeability (their hat or their veil on any of their suits or jackets).
I think you'll have to ask the supplier of your particular jacket.

Probably not ... I've got three different suits all from different suppliers... three completely different zips and they are not even the same length ... if you want to do this then you will probably need to change the zip completely ... either unpicking the existing 'matching'' zip and restitching it onto the new hood/suit or buy a completely new (and very good quality) zip from these people ... about £8 inc postage.

Jaycotts in Chester. www.jaycotts.co.uk

You will need a double ended two way zip about 30" long ...

Fragile Planet will fiddle around at a price if their round tops don't match.

Probably not ... I've got three different suits all from different suppliers... three completely different zips and they are not even the same length ... if you want to do this then you will probably need to change the zip completely ... either unpicking the existing 'matching'' zip and restitching it onto the new hood/suit or buy a completely new (and very good quality) zip from these people ... about £8 inc postage.

Jaycotts in Chester. www.jaycotts.co.uk

You will need a double ended two way zip about 30" long ...

I bought a couple of low cost round veil suits from ebay and ayear later my son bought me a vest with fencing veil. The vest was tight but the veil fits both suits. Maybe just good luck.

You don't just need to match zip size and length, but type as well (metal to plastic, nono, for example, but it goes further than that - coil or toothed, airtight, you name it). What you need are "open" toothed. As far as the size is concerned, it's the width of the "chain" - the teeth when done up - in mm.
There's a case for both types. A hat suits me because I have wide periferal vision and the fencing type cuts that - but those with it can look up, which is useful in swarm collecting. Fortunately I bought BB, maybe I spent more than I might, but it'll last me longer and I'm about to show a profit when I get the fencing type as well.

Last edited:
BTW the reason you don't want a single zip is because you can't see if it's closed completely at the back: you need two shorter zips starting at the back and finishng at the front, so you can see if they're closed before doing the velcro covering the gap, stopping anyine getting in. And you do them finishing at the front so you can push the hood off backwards easily.
You only need the experience once of the buzzing up close and personal to make certain of that every time...

BTW the reason you don't want a single zip is because you can't see if it's closed completely at the back: you need two shorter zips starting at the back and finishng at the front, so you can see if they're closed before doing the velcro covering the gap, stopping anyine getting in. And you do them finishing at the front so you can push the hood off backwards easily.
You only need the experience once of the buzzing up close and personal to make certain of that every time...

No ... what is more usual is a double ended two way zip so there are two zippers on the same zip and they can be done up and unzipped from either end of the zip. They don't start at the back and finish at the front - the single zip goes all the way round and the actual fasteners are both at the front when it is done up ..usually hidden under a velcro flap to close off any slight gap at the front. Nearly all modern suits are made with this type of zip arrangement.

You must have a strange suit. All the members of my association have one double ended zip starting and ending at the front. There is a slight overlap and a velcro flap to cover the ends as well.

BTW the reason you don't want a single zip is because you can't see if it's closed completely at the back:

The veils we have only have a single zip, fencing type, made by BB-Wear, no problems at all...that is if you need to wear a veil of course:D.

The veils we have only have a single zip, fencing type, made by BB-Wear

This is curious - all the BB wear suits we have as an association, (bought over several years since 2009), plus my own, my partner's and everyone else's I know, have two zips - both start at the back (with Velcro to seal the gap where the zip tails meet) and end up at the front with another Velcro to seal the gap there. All are fencing-type veils and are a mix of full suits, jackets and smocks. (My 1980s Sherriff smock is the same, too...). Not being contrary - it just seems curious...

This is curious - all the BB wear suits we have as an association, (bought over several years since 2009), plus my own, my partner's and everyone else's I know, have two zips - both start at the back (with Velcro to seal the gap where the zip tails meet) and end up at the front with another Velcro to seal the gap there....
Recent purchase (autumn 2013 at NHS) BBWear BB1 has one double ended zip around the hood (it has other zips, down the front and ankle cuffs but only one to hold the hood on). One double ended zip around the fencing style hood where it can be detached for washing. Curiously, the online description includes the phrase "Velcro tabs where neck zips meet for extra security" The only velcro patch is at the front under the chin, where the two ends of the one zip meet. Is the description actually for the older design where there were "zips" plural and it's a fairly recent design update for BB?

Another older jacket (Thornes budget I think) has a similar (but not 100% compatible) double ended zip arrangement. BBwear have a velcro patch under the zip ends, the other has the velcro on a flap over the top. BTW reading glasses do not count as eye protection if you open up to add them later and forget to do the zip up again.

Last edited:
Thanks all, I think the only way to be sure is to buy myself a round veil, remove the zips, and re-sew.

Just fyi, the one I'm using now only has one zip - starts on the right, goes all the way around, and overlaps at the front. Then I cover it with the velcro. Carefully!

When I get round to doing it, I will try to post photo's of the process, just in case anyone else is interested.

Back