Tell me not to . . .

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The displeased examiner told me that the slots ran the "wrong way" despite my pointing out that it had clearly been that way for some months and other hives in the apiary were similarly configured - it didn't seem to be detrimental to those colonies. My conclusion is in matters of detail the test is how the bees respond. If it works for them, it works.
Funny you should mention that. Just yesterday I placed QEs on top of my hives ready for later in the season. It occurred to me that I had been told once which was the correct way, but I'd forgotten. I've never paid any attention to that - but maybe if I had I would have learned something, even if the reality is that it makes no difference.

I agree. What puts me off is that it is very "wordy". 27 pages; however, I recognise that some beekeepers hold some practices very dear and others reject those same practices. A classic was during a practical exam when I reinstated the QE exactly as it was on an Association hive when I had opened it. The displeased examiner told me that the slots ran the "wrong way" despite my pointing out that it had clearly been that way for some months and other hives in the apiary were similarly configured - it didn't seem to be detrimental to those colonies. My conclusion is in matters of detail the test is how the bees respond. If it works for them, it works.
another myth the usual suspects cling on to - it makes not a damn bit of difference

I agree. What puts me off is that it is very "wordy". 27 pages; however, I recognise that some beekeepers hold some practices very dear and others reject those same practices. A classic was during a practical exam when I reinstated the QE exactly as it was on an Association hive when I had opened it. The displeased examiner told me that the slots ran the "wrong way" despite my pointing out that it had clearly been that way for some months and other hives in the apiary were similarly configured - it didn't seem to be detrimental to those colonies. My conclusion is in matters of detail the test is how the bees respond. If it works for them, it works.
Sounds like someone I might have told a few home truths to despite the outcome. There's tact and there's annoying nonsense. Getting long in the tooth makes me less likely to put up with the latter. 😎🖖

Latest posts

Back