Bailey Comb Change

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anita Marles

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello, Ive started a Bailey Comb change and installed the queen on an established frame in an upper brood box with fresh foundation on remaining frames. Existing brood box below with queen excluder in between. I had a super full of capped honey but have set that aside and put a 1:1 syrup above the new brood box to encourage comb building. A week later and they have taken no syrup and only produced 1/2 frame of comb. I took the syrup away and put the super on top having scratched the surface of the capped honey to get them going. Any suggestions on how to get the bees up into the new brood box and building comb? Thanks very much. As an aside is it bad that the queen is sitting there on one frame and not really laying due to lack of comb?

I think it's way too late in the year for this .....

We are past the longest day. The brood nest has started to shrink. The bees know that their aim from now on is to gather stores in their existing comb, not build new comb.

I would consider abandoning this attempt and doing it in spring, which is when Bailey's are meant to be done I think

Why are you doing it now?

Hmm. didn't know that. With recent swarms wont a colony build up from a swarm? or are you saying an established colony wont be inclined to build comb?

Is it possible that once all the brood has hatched from the lower brood box could I shake the bees into the upper one and remove the lower brood box? And then they might be more enticed to build comb?

or as you say maybe wait until next year......Thaanks

With recent swarms wont a colony build up from a swarm?

A swarm will build new comb if they don't have enough, but presumably your colony has 11 frames of drawn comb, which is all they feel they need.

No, definitely do NOT carry out a shook swarm at this time of year (or any time)

Just reverse the whole thing and do a Bailey in spring.

Hello, Ive started a Bailey Comb change and installed the queen on an established frame in an upper brood box with fresh foundation on remaining frames.
A few things:
  1. why?
  2. Not really the way to do a bailey change, where on earth is the queen going to lay? with the way you've done it, it should have been frames of clean drawn comb up with the queen above the QX then remove the bottom box after the brood has emerged
  3. why feed in the middle of a flow
  4. why?

Is it possible that once all the brood has hatched from the lower brood box could I shake the bees into the upper one and remove the lower brood box?
Certainly not
What has motivated you to do all this?

No wait.
Swarms are in a completely different frame if mind. They will build comb. They are in a hurry

Hello, Ive started a Bailey Comb change and installed the queen on an established frame in an upper brood box with fresh foundation on remaining frames. Existing brood box below with queen excluder in between. I had a super full of capped honey but have set that aside and put a 1:1 syrup above the new brood box to encourage comb building. A week later and they have taken no syrup and only produced 1/2 frame of comb. I took the syrup away and put the super on top having scratched the surface of the capped honey to get them going. Any suggestions on how to get the bees up into the new brood box and building comb? Thanks very much. As an aside is it bad that the queen is sitting there on one frame and not really laying due to lack of comb?
Pull up six pulled frames from below replace with six foundation frames from above, when they have pulled all new frames above, then replace old frames below and take up six foundation frames again. You seem to be giving them too much hard work all at once and they will sour at that prospect.

Where do you think the nurse bees are going, after they have all emerged (not ‘hatched’) from the bottom box?

There is no reason not to put up at least two frames with the queen - they, too could be easily worked out to one side and removed later.

It is generally considered an early season frame change system, but should work eventually at this time, too. There is, I think, a better way of changing out old frames at this time of the year.

Where do you think the nurse bees are going, after they have all emerged (not ‘hatched’) from the bottom box?

There is no reason not to put up at least two frames with the queen - they, too could be easily worked out to one side and removed later.

It is generally considered an early season frame change system, but should work eventually at this time, too. There is, I think, a better way of changing out old frames at this time of the year.
To be honest I do comb change every year in spring usually just changing out the two worst combs in the broodbox, as you deplete your honey crop by changing out in the middle of the season, do not understand the thinking behind a whole brood box of foundation now!

There is no thinking behind it .... that's the problem !
Of course there is thinking, good thinking, probably "Bailey comb exchange produces new comb, and I need comb" Thats good, but timing is of. No problem with that, beekeeping is above all about timing, and has to be learned the hard way.

Of course there is thinking, good thinking, probably "Bailey comb exchange produces new comb, and I need comb" Thats good, but timing is of. No problem with that, beekeeping is above all about timing, and has to be learned the hard way.
Yes ... you are right - the right plan at the wrong time is a recipe for a disaster ... but it still comes down to thinking about what you are doing.

Latest posts

Back