Change in temperament genes and /or weather?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OursonAnglaise

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Last year my bees were in the main very calm, but like another poster today for some reason they decided they really didn't like me! Earlier this year they swarmed, and my new queen is doing fine. The last time I was able to inspect (due to weather) was 3 weeks ago, and although a little more feisty than I had become accustomed too, I was able to cope

The last month has been very hot/Thundery by turn. Today, although cooler there had been a storm overnight.

As soon as tried to lift out a frame they were all over my tool, and up against my veil.... (How do they know that is the bit to aim for?)

I ended up with a sting on my leg (not too bad), but decided that today was not the right day to disturb them & eventally managed to shut up shop.

However about 5 mins later (still in my suit but with the hood down) I walked to the front of the hive and a bee flew straight to my face & stung me between the eyes. A second got caught in my hair & totally panicked me as it would not go. It was not until I got back to the house and got a brush to my hair that I was able to get it out. It did not sting me, but I was seriously unnerved by the whole episode. Luckily it was a matter of a few tens of meters rather than miles!!!

Do you think it's a question of mongrel bee genes changing the temperament (& therefore should I requeen) or am I just being a girly wuss who was spoilt last year and needs to get a grip?

Aggressive Colony

Last year my bees were in the main very calm, but like another poster today for some reason they decided they really didn't like me! Earlier this year they swarmed, and my new queen is doing fine. The last time I was able to inspect (due to weather) was 3 weeks ago, and although a little more feisty than I had become accustomed too, I was able to cope

The last month has been very hot/Thundery by turn. Today, although cooler there had been a storm overnight.

As soon as tried to lift out a frame they were all over my tool, and up against my veil.... (How do they know that is the bit to aim for?)

I ended up with a sting on my leg (not too bad), but decided that today was not the right day to disturb them & eventally managed to shut up shop.

However about 5 mins later (still in my suit but with the hood down) I walked to the front of the hive and a bee flew straight to my face & stung me between the eyes. A second got caught in my hair & totally panicked me as it would not go. It was not until I got back to the house and got a brush to my hair that I was able to get it out. It did not sting me, but I was seriously unnerved by the whole episode. Luckily it was a matter of a few tens of meters rather than miles!!!

Do you think it's a question of mongrel bee genes changing the temperament (& therefore should I requeen) or am I just being a girly wuss who was spoilt last year and needs to get a grip?

I had a similar experience on Thursday afternoon. Weather was 15 degrees but rather changeable with grey skies and not much wind. Opened my first hive which is brood and a half. Top super seven frames of capped brood but the brood box had only two frames of capped brood and two frames of BIAS.
Only two frames of nectar. No capped honey. Five empty frames.
They were extremely angry and covered my left hand almost immediately I removed the top super.
One sting immediately followed by at least ten on that arm and hand. Thankfully I now wear leather gloves and only three managed to get through to my skin. I quickly shut up the hive and left them alone.
They are a swarm I caught about eight weeks ago and have not shown this sort of aggression before.
On reading another post on the forum a member commented on an aggressive hive and a more experienced beekeeper suggested that they could need feeding with this awful summer weather we are having at the moment.
Yesterday I put 4 pints of 1:1 syrup on that hive and today 24 hours later the rapid feeder is empty. I'll keep an eye on their food reserves and plan accordingly. Could this be one of the reasons for their sudden aggression?
Some of my other hives were also more aggressive than usual that day.

This is my third year of beekeeping and have a lot to learn.

In this instance I don't think it is lack of food....they have drawn out a second super & have started to fill. The first super is completely full.

I'll try again next week, if the weather is better....

Of course there is always a chance with a change of Queen / unknown mating that the colony can change temperament but personally I tend to only judge colonies after several inspections over different weather conditions.
I had a few colonies that were a real pain to inspect earlier in the year which are now absolutely fine.

As bees work on pheromones I personally believe they can tell if you are nervous / not relaxed and try to always calm myself before inspecting.

Totally agree. Give them the benefit of the doubt, be calm, talk to the bees and if they remain moody, requeen.

Latest posts

Back