robbers at my hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fullframe45

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 --5.
Due to the very poor weather we are having here in lancashire yesterday was the first day i have been able to inspect my hives for 8 days. I have one hive that has been building up nicely with a this years postal mated Queen .SB national and she had run out of room to lay ,I did not think there was any need to add a second BB at this time and also they had hardly any stores. So i gave them a frame of stores i had spare and put a super on . My thinking was to help them out for a few days till better weather and give them some room .Anyway the robbers got wind of this and the hive was mobbed, The entrance has always been kept to about three inches so i imediatley shut it down to about one inch.I.do not know yet what damage they have done inside but i will try today even though its raining again . Is there any was i can get to feed them.Will they target the hive again . Another lesson learnt.There is still some bramble flowers out and rosebay is showing well lots of thistle and nine acres of spuds in flower but i dont think they visit them. Thank you.

Has the robbing stopped?
If it has then put a rapid feeder on top in the day and go back to add some syrup in the evening. The 2 litre round ones are perfect for this.
If it hasn't then I'd move them away somewhere and feed as above.

I went back later last night and all seemed calm ,but did not open up to have a look ,I will check today ,But as i have a super on should i put a feeder on top ,or below the super. To move away is not an option for me im afraid.

You say no room to lay, so you put on a super. If above the Qx, then you still have not given her extra room, or do I have it wrong and you now half brood and a half? A frame of stores is less likely to induce robbing. Be careful not to spill any syrup

The QX was below the super as i always have done ,I do not want to go brood and half.I understand what you mean and rightly or wrongly my reason for putting it on was just to give a bit more space for the bees till the weather improves and it also gives a cpl days for me to work out what to do. Remove frames or go DB and get some kit ready.It was very windy and showers ,so my best option(so i thought) was to do what i did.thank you.

The QX was below the super as i always have done ,I do not want to go brood and half.I understand what you mean and rightly or wrongly my reason for putting it on was just to give a bit more space for the bees till the weather improves and it also gives a cpl days for me to work out what to do. Remove frames or go DB and get some kit ready.It was very windy and showers ,so my best option(so i thought) was to do what i did.thank you.
Run out of room to lay and no stores ! , hmmmm ,what has been the purpose of your intervention in bad weather then?
Somebody else may explain.

I went back later last night and all seemed calm ,but did not open up to have a look ,I will check today ,But as i have a super on should i put a feeder on top ,or below the super. To move away is not an option for me im afraid.
If they really have run out of food and the queen has no room to lay then they really do need that super under the QX ( I presume it's drawn?) AND feeding.

A tip for life with bees ,.........expect the worse and hope for the best . When your making an intervention with your bees try have everything to hand so you can minimise your intrusions
what part of Lancashire are you at ?

Please read my posting again. I did not say that they had run out of stores.I said very little stores. As my apiary is several miles from my home and i have nowhere to store any spare kit on site.Again as i said i am almost in the middle of acres of spuds ,acess is not as easy as it may be for some, Hence the thoughts on (quote the apiarist ) go home and have a cup of tea and think it through.My next move is to check them today (as i said previously)and give them another BB with drawn and maybee dummy if needed and as Erichal sugested give em some syrup. thank you. Still learning.

The frame of stores with bees removed is not likely to have started the robbing more likely the act of opening them up if your main flow has stopped, all those bored foragers have little else to do…. The last thing I’d do unless in dire need is give them a feed. That really will ring the dinner bell.

Just managed a quick inspection between heavy downpoar ,No dead bees seen and all looks calm.Inspection board quite clear also, Managed to get another BB on so now DB and just left them for today. See what tomorrow brings.Did not feed. Thank you.

If robbing then forget wet feed use fondant, no spillage or aroma to attract roobers. plonk a big slab on top of the frames direct or a QX on a bit of Grease proof paper so that it doesn't sag down the seams.

Latest posts

Back