Carbonate crown boards

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m sorry to ask such a basic question, but what thickness polycarbonate does everyone use?

5mm - 6mm works best. I've used 8mm that I got free and that was ok as well. Anything much thinner than 4mm tends to bend under the weight of a feeder and you will need to support the centre with some scraps of timber resting on the tops of the frames.

You have enough room between the two existing holes to cut another one in the middle with a tank cutter. If you then glue the piece you have cut out to a square of plywood you can then fill the hole when you are not using it. If you make similar covers for the other holes - problem solved, Sit your rapid feeder over the new hole - job's a good 'un.

** Edit - Looks like Madasafish got there before me !! No matter great minds think alike !

I watch out for scraps of polycarbonate - sometimes polycarbonate shower screens can be found at your local recyling centre and for a pound or two you have enough PC to make several crown boards and the offcuts can be used to make rims or covers for the holes.
Hole in middle great idea ( if that is where is was in the first place)
Now I would have 3 holes and having to scrabble about for 2 bits of tile not too wee or too big that cover the extra holes without impeding the flat balance of the rapid feeder.
The boards are not of use to me ...bin beckoning

I buy 5mm if I see a good offer on ebay, or if it is nearly free or really cheap I wouldn't quibble on any thickness over 5mm. In summer they can be simply used as a flat CB without insulation or any spares can be used in the store/shed for top and bottom boards.

Buy or pilfer scrap 3 x1 out of a skip, route a groove in the base of the timber one bee space up, cut and add the poly and screw/glue the corner butt joints. The rest of the other side should be deep enough to accommodate 40 or 50mm insulation.

In one hasn't a router simply glue & screw 2 x1 or 2.5 x 1 together to form a sq box. Cut four 8/9mm X 25mm/1" strips for the poly and drill some clearance holes through the strips and poly edge, use 40mm screws to a fix the poly/strips to the sq box to make your insulated CB.

With my insulation I run strong string under the poly and up the edges and leave 6"tails, I keep the string in place with tape to make lifting out the tight poly fit easy.

Last edited:
Hole in middle great idea ( if that is where is was in the first place)
Now I would have 3 holes and having to scrabble about for 2 bits of tile not too wee or too big that cover the extra holes without impeding the flat balance of the rapid feeder.
The boards are not of use to me ...bin beckoning

Not tile ... you can just cut a couple of bits of plywood - or polycarbonate - if you have two of these crownboards - sacrifice one to make one that is usable. You will have enough in the one you cut up to make a couple of bits to fill the existing holes - Superglue the bits (or epoxy glue) to permanently fill the existing holes and you will still have enough to make a square to stick on the bit you cut out for the centre hole to make a cover. I hate wasting things or consigning them to the tip ... when there is still life in them.

... the distance between the centre of the polycarbonate hole and the distance of the hole in my rapid feeder do not marry up ...
Yes, you've already explained that, and I've acknowledged it.
... the hole in the polycarbonate does not allow full access to the feeder when it lays flat ( that is one hole) ...
Yes, the holes do not line up, but the feeder is lying flush! The bees have access to the feeder, and can't escape above the CB.

Yes, you've already explained that, and I've acknowledged it.

Yes, the holes do not line up, but the feeder is lying flush! The bees have access to the feeder, and can't escape above the CB.
Unfortunately a reduced access similar to the the 6inch bathroom door scenario. The items were not seconds or thirds but I won’t buying from these folk again as paid full price and expected to have items ready to use without having to spend time making them fit to use.

Thanks for all the suggestions, particularly the wood offcuts as been using bits of tile and slate.

Unfortunately a reduced access similar to the the 6inch bathroom door scenario. The items were not seconds or thirds but I won’t buying from these folk again as paid full price and expected to have items ready to use without having to spend time making them fit to use.

Thanks for all the suggestions, particularly the wood offcuts as been using bits of tile and slate.

The problem is that, historically, crownboards were made with two holes designed to fit Porter bee escapes ... they were not really intended to take rapid feeders ..They were crown boards that could be used for clearing supers and at the time often were left open for 'ventilation'. Feeders tended to be something that a beekeeper would make like the one in the attached photo. These would either be sited directly on top of the hive or could be sited so that the central slot was over the two bee escape holes.

It's another example of how beekeeping takes an awful long time to catch up with changing trends and ideas ... the design of the crown boards you bought was not intended as a feeder - I can see how you are disgruntled and perhaps the supplier should re-think the design but I feel sure that they would be saying that the use you intended was not the use they had in mind.

Attachments

• English feeder.jpg
    English feeder.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 12

Why didn't you return the CB as unsuitable? Look on the supplier's website. They might have made it to fit a specific feeder sold by them.

As you haven't returned it, make use of what you have. You can use it as it is because the bees can still feed from the feeder. Or you can easily adapt it (and you've received loads of repeated suggestions about that). You'll find you'll use it - if not now, later. There are numerous things you can use to cover the holes, as already suggested, also old credit cards, plastic notebook covers, plastic tubs ... Lots of things. Look around.

Got mine from Calendon bees on ebay and they are very good comes with insulation which fits either side of the middle wood part I then pop 50mm of Kingspan on top of that. $_7.jpeg

Thanks everybody. You have given me ideas. I have been given some large sheets of clear plastic, most 6 MM. thick, some 10 mm. I do not know if it is Perspex or polycarbonate. My question is how do I cut it to size? I have an electric jigsaw if that will do it.

Thanks everybody. You have given me ideas. I have been given some large sheets of clear plastic, most 6 MM. thick, some 10 mm. I do not know if it is Perspex or polycarbonate. My question is how do I cut it to size? I have an electric jigsaw if that will do it.
Yes it will do it .. go slowly and let the blade do the work, don't force it. I cut mine with both a table saw and a bandaw and they both work well but a jigsaw will do the job. Clamp a guide to the material to keep the saw going straight as they can wander.

Why didn't you return the CB as unsuitable? Look on the supplier's website. They might have made it to fit a specific feeder sold by them.

As you haven't returned it, make use of what you have. You can use it as it is because the bees can still feed from the feeder. Or you can easily adapt it (and you've received loads of repeated suggestions about that). You'll find you'll use it - if not now, later. There are numerous things you can use to cover the holes, as already suggested, also old credit cards, plastic notebook covers, plastic tubs ... Lots of things. Look around.
The seller has not replied to my request for a return authorisation note as per the terms of his website and that is why it is still in the garage.
In fact no further communication at all.
Therefore I got in touch with the credit card company and I have got my refund by that method.

Not much point “in having a dog if you have to bark yourself“ and having to repurpose an item that was purchased at full price.

Boards not being given houseroom now. Finito.

Use a fine blade meant for plastics not a wood blade

I use a normal throw a way 22pt saw, supporting the cutting edges with a batten underneath. Jigsaw/table saw etc,etc will work fine tooth blade is best.
Use a plane or carbide paper to clean any edges.

I converted one of my Paynes poly crown boards to polycarbonate. It’s really good!
I’m thinking to convert more now...

Attachments

• A35D6EFE-46B3-43B3-B1DA-2D07D38567D8.jpeg
    A35D6EFE-46B3-43B3-B1DA-2D07D38567D8.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 36
  • F51FD401-C04F-4C19-AE60-67C9298AA814.jpeg
    F51FD401-C04F-4C19-AE60-67C9298AA814.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 35
  • 83E10583-C0A0-4EBF-86B3-0A8F7407DA63.jpeg
    83E10583-C0A0-4EBF-86B3-0A8F7407DA63.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 34

Latest posts