Carbonate crown boards

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enrico

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It takes a while for us oldies to change habits of a lifetime but this year I made polycarbonate crown boards for all my hives. I put them on two weeks ago Oh how I wish I had done it years ago. A simple lift of the roof and you can see what is going on without disturbing everyone by taking off the crown board.
I anyone is thinking about it, trust me, it is worth the money!

I made some insulated ones the winter before last, attached some string to the 40mm insulation board to simply lift it out to see into the BB or super.

All the school hives have these now.
Will mean other staff can take groups down for a look without opening up.
Brilliant.

It takes a while for us oldies to change habits of a lifetime but this year I made polycarbonate crown boards for all my hives. I put them on two weeks ago Oh how I wish I had done it years ago. A simple lift of the roof and you can see what is going on without disturbing everyone by taking off the crown board.

Did you build a frame for the poly, or just use flat?

I have bought these for most of my Paynes National Polycarbonate Quilt plain or c/w ppb esc

(the version without the escape hole, personally)

Seem very good so far.

It also converts them to top bee space, which is a nice added benefit. I still have the flat perspex sheet on a couple of the hives, which is OK, but can lead to crushing if you aren't very careful.

I have bought these for most of my Paynes National Polycarbonate Quilt plain or c/w ppb esc

Seem very good so far.

It also converts them to top bee space, which is a nice added benefit. I still have the flat perspex sheet on a couple of the hives, which is OK, but can lead to crushing if you aren't very careful.
It provides a space, maybe but it doesn't convert your box. If you stack your boxes you still rely on the BBS recess to avoid crushing bees.

Seem very good so far.

Have been meaning to get a couple of these (or try and make them) and notice they are back in stock now. Any winter condensation issues or are they as good as the wooden ones in this respect?

It provides a space, maybe but it doesn't convert your box. If you stack your boxes you still rely on the BBS recess to avoid crushing bees

Obviously, yes.

Did you build a frame for the poly, or just use flat?
I bought flat and then glued 6mm strips to both sides and screwed through. Circular feeder hole cut in centre. Covered in normal use.

Mine are Perspex (polymethylacrylate) sheets to which I've added a wooden rim. I don't know whether either material is better than the other

Mine are Perspex (polymethylacrylate) sheets to which I've added a wooden rim. I don't know whether either material is better than the other
One is cheaper than the other for sure!!!!

Did you buy the poly locally and what’s it like to cut / screw?

any crownboard designed for bottom beespace boxes have an 8-10mm rim to give space above the frames

I didn't say it didn't. But I have a few Paynes hives which are BBS, and which usually come with a flat sheet of perspex, which can squish bees if you aren't careful (and also get heavily propolised). These wooden-framed polycarbonate quilts are much better, allowing the bees to move over the top of the frames (hence my use, or rather misuse, of the term "converting them to top bee space") and making it much easier for me to put the perspex on without crushing bees. It also makes for a much better viewing gallery when I want to check on how they are doing without actually opening the hive.

Last edited:
I sell my honey at the door and part of the show is to show visitors (who want to ) my hives (that is when it is not raining, blowing a gale or 15C... or of which happened in the last 7 days).

I have a hive situated right beside the steps to the rear garden where the hives are. Just whip off the roof and visitors can see the bees through the clear CB.. People appreciate the show and it helps them come back to buy more honey.
Double Apideas with clear CBs also are a good show when you can pick them up so people can see bees close up...

Did you buy the poly locally and what’s it like to cut / screw?
I bought it cut to size as it wasn't much more expensive than a sheet. Just googled it and bought the cheapest. Easy to drill. Cut centre holes with a hole cutter. Used mitre glue to stick the edges on. I use mitre glue for everything. Brilliant stuff. But screwed it in the corners too for belt and braces, probably unnecessary!

Latest posts

Back