Buying some new queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

markjadams

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

I have raised a few queens this years but I also want to buy a few different ones in to see how they all perform.

I follow the youtube videos for "The Bee Man" who is based in Scotland and I was wondering if anyone else have purchased queens from him and what they were like.

I am based in Wales and dont like the idea of imported queens but thought that his climate would be a good match.

Thank you

Sorry to say but his fame has passed me by so could you post a link to his video please?

PH

Hi,

I have raised a few queens this years but I also want to buy a few different ones in to see how they all perform.

I follow the youtube videos for "The Bee Man" who is based in Scotland and I was wondering if anyone else have purchased queens from him and what they were like.

I am based in Wales and dont like the idea of imported queens but thought that his climate would be a good match.

Thank you

You have to remember that buying one or two single queens is not necessarily a true reflection of that breeders queens. You need to be buying queens over several years and assess their performance.
I would hope no one in their right mind would be finger pointing unless they had several of said queens , over several batches, that were consistently bad for whatever reason.

I have followed Mike Waites videos, his instagram, and his facebook and never heard anything contrary to the quality of his queens. He's also very helpful. Ask him personally!!

He would not be in business if they weren't performing. You can ask about any breeder on here and you would always get mixed results, for many reasons. Some because of incompetence by the beekeeper, some because of specific weather and climate patterns after purchasing the queen and obviously, through poor crosses or the odd queen that just dose not perform. It does happen!!

My point is, whatever you buy and whoever you buy from, remain open minded. Your still, buying in underlying good genetic material that will enhance your apiary the following year(may be not this year now) with drones from the line. Thats what you should remember.

Thank you

Why go that far? more than one reputable and reliable queen breeder but a stone's throw over the border in Ceredigion

Hi jenkinsbrynmair,

You are just around the corner from me, I am in upper Brynamman/Garnant.

Where do you get your Queens from? I want to try a few different places, just out of interest to see how they all do.

I have a strong feeling the OP has not really thought this through.

PH

Why do you say that Poly hive? I have great respect for "The Bee man" he really seems to know what he is doing and wants to produce the best queens possible.

I also want to try a few different queens, I fully understand that its not a representative sample but it gives a random selection from different suppliers.

It is just for my own personal interest to see how different queens perform.

When I was searching old threads for queen producers a name that cropped up was Ged Marshall of British Honey Producers Ltd. He is based in Milton Keynes direction.

Doesn't sound like there's any genetic provenance with them?
"taken to mating nucs throughout the area. They are left in the mating nucs for 14-21 days"

Open mated with any local drones?:scotland-flag:

Cannot give any particular recommendation - just the website. When I enquired about this I was told that they are mated at isolated locations which I think is as good as you get for UK queens. Happy to be corrected on this. The queens seemed ok but only had a couple.

I know they are often out of stock however.

When I was searching old threads for queen producers a name that cropped up was Ged Marshall of British Honey Producers Ltd. He is based in Milton Keynes direction.

I can highly recommend Ged's bees, as well as Peter Little's

A few years ago I ordered well in advance from Beeman; told approximate date of expected availability. When date arrived, told bees at collection point, but not enough for all orders, so first come first served.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back