Buckfast breeder queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks but I wish! I've been to so many apiaries in my area, all have the same savage bees, its well known around here for some reason. Ok some are better than others but generally horrible.

Is this the result of the left-overs of buckfast breeding nearby? I am sure that we will all be interested to learn how the offspring of your buckfast nucs behave in a couple of generations' time.

Is this the result of the left-overs of buckfast breeding nearby? I am sure that we will all be interested to learn how the offspring of your buckfast nucs behave in a couple of generations' time.

Haha I dont think so. I'm AI from now on so I dont intend to find out!

I'm jealous, I dont expect to see many drones for another month and a half.

Drones have been around for a few weeks in some numbers but temps are still a little cold, im not expecting much, most cells looked good in the starters after 3 hours but the finishers might be a different story. Currently raining and 12o.

Do you find that the temperature / nutrition affects their semen load much?

I was referring to amount of queens produced regarding the temperature/forage. I normally take drones from one site and dont start until Mid/end of March so by then its usually 20+ and it stays like that until end October, forage in plenty all year round too so I havent noticed, sorry.

I was referring to amount of queens produced regarding the temperature/forage. I normally take drones from one site and dont start until Mid/end of March so by then its usually 20+ and it stays like that until end October, forage in plenty all year round too so I havent noticed, sorry.

Thanks. I was curious whether the drones you have now have a proper semen load. If you're planning to do II, having enough mature drones will probably be your limiting factor

Just out of curiosity B+.....How many drones do you gather semen from for II?
Theoretically, each mature drone should yield ~ 1ml of semen and it takes 8-12ml to inseminate each queen.
The problem is that if you try to inseminate queens earlier in the year the drones don't seem to have as much semen. Thats just what I've found in my area so others may have different experience. Immature drones may not have any semen at all. I use 15-20 drones per queen to make sure she gets enough.

Last edited:
Theoretically, each mature drone should yield ~ 1ml of semen and it takes 8-12ml to inseminate each queen.
The problem is that if you try to inseminate queens earlier in the year the drones don't seem to have as much semen. Thats just what I've found in my area so others may have different experience. Immature drones may not have any semen at all. I use 15-20 drones per queen to make sure she gets enough.

Thanks B+

ml?? μl surely.

Phew.... was thinking how BIG those Iberian mutants must bee!!:ohthedrama:

I can just about squeeze in four micro liters.!!!

B+ do you check for spermatozoa motility on collecting?

Oh and DYNARCH.... welcome back to the madhouse!!!

Yeghes da

Just an update.....

Went to the local ish buckfast breeders apiary. Well I've heard it all "I have a valley with only buckfast bees, drowned with buckfast drone colonies". This guy really does, We drove 65kms up what I can only describe as the Portuguese version of the alps, 25% hairpins etc. This guy really does have a valley to himself, langstroth hives all over both sides of the valley, not sure what they eat and every hive was being fed, must cost him a fortune.

Anyway he has the calmest bees I have ever seen, no beesuit, no gloves, no smoke and into one of his hives. If it was one of my hives it would be 100 stings plus in only a few seconds. Needless to say I bought 2 pedigree buckfast nucs to try. Started my grafting yesterday.

Hi, how much he sell each queen?

And how much is a nuc with 5 frames?

Ohhhh, not cheap indeed. Hope it gives you lot of honey . Good luck with them...

Latest posts

Back