Buckfast breeder queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been looking over the past few months at all the registered 'Buckfast' breeders listed on:http://perso.fundp.ac.be/~jvandyck/homage/elver/ There are no registered breeders in the UK listed, terrible shame really as the 'Buckfast' strain was developed in the UK by Brother Adam. There are two breeders who are based in Portugal.

As stated by B+ you could contact 'Hivemaker' on here, he breeds 'Buckfast' breeder queens, these are listed on his website, ExmoorBeesandBehives - he does not show the pedigree lines there mind.

I hope this information helps.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for all the info, it turns out I have a buckfast breeder queen rearer only 45 miles away from me, visiting early Feb.

Thank you very much for all the info, it turns out I have a buckfast breeder queen rearer only 45 miles away from me, visiting early Feb.

He may make such a claim but many such claims prove false; also any progeny eventually get mated with local mongrels and the Buckfast (claimed?) trait gets diluted or lost anyway, unless of course one is in a very remote where mongrel drones are not going to be. Pretty unlikely I would have thought.

He may make such a claim but many such claims prove false; also any progeny eventually get mated with local mongrels and the Buckfast (claimed?) trait gets diluted or lost anyway, unless of course one is in a very remote where mongrel drones are not going to be. Pretty unlikely I would have thought.

My take on the so called Buckfast honey bee was that it was a deliberate hybrid between a Carniolian and an Italian type of bee... showing short lived hybrid vigor... but the Super Buckfast was related to the original hybridisation carried out at Buckfast Abbey by Brother Adam?

A bit like the Norton motorcycles produced at Bracebridge Street and the badged up Norton Matchless hybrids produced in the final days of Associated motorcycles in Plumstead. Matchless frame and Norton engine ( although my N15cs has Norton Roadholder forks and not Matchless ones as fitted to the later P11s)

Just noticed a magnificent full moor rising over Dartmoor!!:icon_204-2:

Yeghes da

Thats why I'm visiting. He AI his queens and is in a remote place, is also on the registered buckfast breeders list and runs a local one, a guy I'm keen to meet.

Thats why I'm visiting. He AI his queens and is in a remote place, is also on the registered buckfast breeders list and runs a local one, a guy I'm keen to meet.

Must admit I did wonder why... when you are fortunate enough to live in a place where the endemic native honey bees seem to adapted so well and I am informed produce copious amounts of honey in the environment that they have adapted to since the ice moved away!

Yeghes da

You folks, live in THE country where the Thoroughbred horse breed was created, and still can't get the idea what buckfast breeding is all about!!!

Must admit I did wonder why... when you are fortunate enough to live in a place where the endemic native honey bees seem to adapted so well and I am informed produce copious amounts of honey in the environment that they have adapted to since the ice moved away!

My local bees arent adapted so well to varroa, foul brood and they all are absolute savages, the only quiet bees are diseased bees. I want a change and the 40 or so buckfast crosses I have have already proved so much better I thought why not try and get rid of the local bees altogether. The orders I already have for bees and queens are 100% buckfast up to now.

You folks, live in THE country where the Thoroughbred horse breed was created, and still can't get the idea what buckfast breeding is all about!!!

Very true and such a shame not a single English breeder on the register. There must be a reason though?

I'd love to try a Hivemaker breeder queen but what a risk getting it to Portugal. Its enough stress trying to introduce a breeder queen here, I usually buy the hive she is in!

Even on Exmoor the local horse breeders have to go in and cull/ remove any horses that are not of the Exmoor pony line....prevents introgression from pikey horses and other nere do well horse owners who take the poor things up to the moors and simply abandon them!

Point being bees can fly... and drones quite some way... hive hopping
Horses as far as I know do not fly... except in Mythology..

and that seems to be where many claimed B bee breeders seem to be.. in the land of myths!

Roll on Spring!

Yeghes da

? all true thoroughbreds are descended from three foundation sires - Darnley Arabian, Godolphin Arabian, and the Bryerley Turk.

A bit different to some of the scrubs now being peddled out there as thoroughbred Buckfast bees.

Even on Exmoor the local horse breeders have to go in and cull/ remove any horses that are not of the Exmoor pony line....

I see where you going here.
This aproach is probably useful IF you want a pony to remain a pony (externally). BUT if you want to get a champion horse that wins at almost every horse race, you must choose parents that actually WERE champions almost every time at almost every horse race. (A small detail, wich in Wikipedia was missed to mention)

Very simple concept.

In bees, IF you allow drones from swarmy, agressive or unproductive hives to mate with your virgin queens, just because they belong to the "right race", you will see that this eventually leads to deterioration of the econimic qualities, which are far more important.

This means that it DOES NOT MATTER what kind of bees your neighbour has, as IF you want to keep your bees pure, you need drone contol anyway and the every drone from the right race is "good enough" aproach HAS TO DIE!

Simply put, Buckfast breeding basically is matching best individuals with best individuals.

My PE teacher at school used to say that in a race, the ones from the tail always run fastest, as they have to catch up the lead. And I almost regret saying you the truth, while everybody is staying quiet.

My local bees arent adapted so well to varroa, foul brood and they all are absolute savages

100 to 1000 colonies of savage, varroa infested and riddled with foul brood.... not a good starting point to start selectively breeding a strain of calm, productive, varroa and foul brood resistant bee?

Culling the lot and introducing a bee you THINK will be better possibly may not be the answer to your beekeeping problems.

An integrated program of bee improvement possible would be... but no "instant fix"

Lots of books out there dedicated to breeding better queens.....

Good Luck !

Yeghes da

Scutellator;519389 ................................ BUT if you want to get a champion horse that wins at almost every horse race said:
parents[/B] that actually WERE champions almost every time at almost every horse race. (A small detail, wich in Wikipedia was missed to mention).......................................

Thank you for sharing your wisdom so generously and so freely. Bloodstock breeding will never be quite the same again following these revolutionary revelations, as breeding classic winners will be as you said "really a simple concept".
May I ask, if it is not too inquisitive, what are the names of the winners you and / or associates have undoubtedly bred using this system?

In bees, IF you allow drones from swarmy, agressive or unproductive hives to mate with your virgin queens, just because they belong to the "right race", you will see that this eventually leads to deterioration of the econimic qualities, which are far more important.

Quite right....but, choosing a high performing breeder queen (2a) and a high performing drone gradmother (4a) doesn't always give a high performing queen (1a). That is why you have to put them through performance tests to make sure you actually get what theory says you should get (on average).
This is like saying a horse which is the offspring of two champions is itself a champion without ever having run a race. There are always variances.

I
Simply put, Buckfast breeding basically is matching best individuals with best individuals.

But what is the difference with other strains beebreeding? They do same tricks.

Then you put best individuals on poor pastures and what you get there.
Fact is, that hybrids get best yields.

It is now 2016, and how to breed, it is not a secret.

But then I buy those advertised queens, and I can compare them, what they really are.

Latest posts

Back