Boris's Capital Bee

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
think tom bick on here is involved with the hive building but not sure, all i know is that our committee member came back rather bemused by the methods promoted by the Natural beekeeping trust having been harangued by one of them for half an hour, but "each for his own"

Sounds like London may be heading for a massive over population of bee's,which could lead to a lot of problems.

Chris B, Interesting article, thank you.

It was standing room only (in the corridor!) at the excellent LBKA monthly meeting yesterday, with John Chapple (as quoted in the "Boris - Capital Bee" article) only just inside the room. (Maybe that's why he's in favour of fewer aspiring beeks and more knowledgeable existing beeks !). John's comments raise interesting questions:

New aspiring bee-keepers appear at the LBKA meetings every month, and last year two of my neighbours expressed a wish to keep bees ASAP. The mantra I repeat to all is: "Go on a course - and if you enjoy the course, commit to being mentored, learning more and taking exams". In a densely-populated urban environment, poor knowledge and skills can bring a lot of grief in terms of local bee-health and negative PR. (There were several EFB cases in South East London last year).

I have even begun to sense a chill from some longer-standing Members about forage resources for their existing hives when new apiaries are being conceived. Since availability of forage in cities is so hard to quantify, it is understandable, I suppose. Does anyone have any suggestions for rough-and-ready urban forage/acreage/hive calculations out there?

Even if a consensus on appropriate forage resources/hive could be reached, enforcing a healthy bee environment (ie a new hive exclusion zone around existing apiaries, for example) would be impossible. So I come down on the side of achieving the highest bee health and welfare standards through continuous education by active local associations -and leaving the bees to sort out the forage question themselves.

Any other thoughts on dealing with the upsurge of interest in urban beekeeping for the long term?

Won't the bees/mother nature find a sustainable balance HM?

There is a finite number of colonys that any area can sustain,but yes mother nature will find a way,by colonys starving,and disease.

John Chapple's comment on more considered planting types (not double headed etc) and thoughtful pruning (timings) is a constructive observation and an easy support to deliver by the authorities. It's also easy PR and informative to private 'planters'. I wonder if that will be picked up?

Tim Lovett's comments seem, at face value, ill-considered? Surely to set up more BKA's they all need a base, all need a prime apiary and more importantly need established, experienced beeks to run them and act as mentors ...... - ...... won't those people have to come from from exisiting associations and as a result reduce critical mass and hence increase administrative time pressures, costs and at the same time lower available mentor contact time?

Have I mis-understood the plan or has Tim lost the plot?

Aren't we all getting a tad overly concerned about this - the article infers a maximum of 50 new sites (probably 50 new hives), will that put such a strain on London's nectar resources or even BKA memberships?

Aren't we all getting a tad overly concerned about this - the article infers a maximum of 50 new sites (probably 50 new hives), will that put such a strain on London's nectar resources or even BKA memberships?

Not at all,50 more hives should be fine.

I've no idea how bee-saturated London is, but would LBKA archives provide a clue to capacity? The urban forage landscape won't have changed much since the war and there were many more beekeepers around that time.

It's a fair and valid observation MA (say 50 hives, at 3 beeks from each 'food group' per new hive = max 150 extra beeks from the scheme?) but I stand by my post above. There appears to have been more pre-consideration of statements made by contributors to this thread than by TL before he issued his 'sound bite' press release. That can't be right!

Certainly more beekeepers in London than a few years ago as for saturation that may happen one day the first signs will be reduced honey crops.

London despite the fact that it is a mad place is pretty green as in forage it seems to me that every other tree is a Lime and thousands upon thousands of back gardens.

So how many more beekeepers and beehives before saturation is anyone’s guess I predict the bubble will have well and truly burst well before that happens.

Saturation in london. Come on !!!!!! there is something like 800,000 trees in London umpteen million plants bushes and parks, clover, blackberries, ivy basically every thing you find in the country except for arable crops rape..

Sounds like London may be heading for a massive over population of bee's,which could lead to a lot of problems.

Not for long, HM. But I've made an application and will keep my fingers crossed.

After all, if Boris wants to spend my oney on bees, why sholdn't I get some of it back to set up an apiary?

After all, if Boris wants to spend my oney on bees, why sholdn't I get some of it back to set up an apiary?

I think I would take the same view if I still lived there. And I think you will be typical - you would have got the bees/equipment regardless of Boris's cash but paid for it yourself if necessary. Hence it's not really achieved anything except distribute a bit of cash to folks who probably don't need it. And Boris wonders why the scheme got criticism.

i can understand what north london is saying, i am in the next association north and we fill our beekeeping course of 20 just by word of mouth, no advertising at all

but what do they considerer training, a day courses a weekend , two weekends a weekend and a bit of mentor ship

we ask our beginners to commit to 10x 2 hours session on a Saturday,a trip to stoneleigh event, then a full season of mentorship sharing charge of an association hive,we then allow them a stand in an out apairy but expect them to get the basic exam within 3 years, I think north London is similar but they rent you a hive in their apairy ( is that more money at least ourshives are free)

whats the training from boris going to turn out like if we increase numbers, a CD rom with a power point presentaion and a flat pack hive with an email contact

AND Boris is going to ban my 01 reg TD5 landrover defender diesel 90 from inside the M25 in 2012 so he is not my best friend

Back