Highland black bees not wild enough to be saved

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But what in heck Ice Age has to do with honey bee. Even cars have dove after IceAGE.

Schildish fairy tales.

The best is of course Tamar Valley native bee.

Last edited:
But what in heck Ice Age has to do with honey bee. Even cars have dove after IceAGE.

Schildish fairy tales.

The best is of course Tamar Valley native bee.

if it got here by 6500BC its native! cars weren't here 8500 years ago.
The Scottish Wildcat appeared around 9500 years ago from Europe. Its considered native.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildcat

Last edited:
if it got here by 6500BC its native! cars weren't here 8500 years ago.
The Scottish Wildcat appeared around 9500 years ago from Europe. Its considered native.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildcat

Quite so, the simple difference between native and introduced. Generally in this instance species that re inhabited the British Isles following the retreat of the last glaciation.

Chris

Ok I believe that the is a 6500 y old native bee strain in a distant Scottish valley. Why not?

We had in TV a psychiatrics who worked in Lapland. It is in north and lonely place.

He told that folks there use to tell their things often with overflooding way.
If someone says that he got 2 metre pike from river yesterday, let it be. Don't go to measure it.

Your humour is getting better and better finman:) That made me laugh

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:Apis mellifera mellifera is thriving in the Tamar Valley.... any other bee species that has not been subjected to our own special type of inclement weather will ( hopefully) have been wiped out by last years horrible summer and this years extended long winter !:hairpull:

The Fastbucks just north of you are doing fine - sorry to disappoint you and your wishful thinking.

The English are genetically very close to Germans. why German Black bee is not enough to English?
It means too that English are not native to British isles.

why every county in British Isles needs their very very very own native bee since Ice Age.

history knows that English bees died 100 y ago and new bee population was imported from Belgium, Holland from what ever, but don't mind about that.

Question is, why every county needs its Ice Age old bee stock ?
Where it is used for?

Apis mellifera mellifera[/I] is thriving in the Tamar Valley.... any other bee species that has not been subjected to our own special type of inclement weather

Tamar Valley for ever and its apples!

There are 20 000 bee species in the world. Perhaps some of them stand that special area.

Medication...never mind...

The English are genetically very close to Germans. why German Black bee is not enough to English?
It means too that English are not native to British isles.

why every county in British Isles needs their very very very own native bee since Ice Age.

history knows that English bees died 100 y ago and new bee population was imported from Belgium, Holland from what ever, but don't mind about that.

Question is, why every county needs its Ice Age old bee stock ?
Where it is used for?

Finman you have that wrong again! from my part of England we have a large genetic contribution from the Vikings

In my country, if some cow escape to woods and become wild, it is not protected, it will be shooted.

This wild cow went to blessed pastures..29.10.2009

In another place 10 beef cows herd become wild.

1746794-kaato.jpg

In this part of Europe our stock animals are tagged and registered no matter where they roam, they still belong to the heard owner.
Unless they turn into a horse, then they can go anywhere they want...:icon_204-2:

Finman you have that wrong again! from my part of England we have a large genetic contribution from the Vikings

Genetic diversity,I think most of them came from Africa originally, and then later from India,Pakistan,America, Australia, all of Europe,Russia, and just about everywhere else on the planet.

From the ABJ

Genetic 'remix' Key to

Evolution of Bee Behavior:

York University Research

TORONTO– Worker bees have become a highly skilled and specialized work force because the genes that determine their behaviour are shuffled frequently, helping natural selection to build a better bee, research from York University suggests.

The embargoed study, to be published October 15 at 3pm EST in PNAS (Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences), sheds light on how worker bees – who are sterile – evolved charismatic and cooperative behaviours such as nursing young bees, collecting food for the colony, defending it against intruders, and dancing to communicate the location of profitable flowers to nestmates.

When York University researchers examined the honey bee genome, they discovered that the genes associated with worker behaviour were found in areas of the genome that have the highest rate of recombination. Recombination represents a shuffling of the genetic deck: recombination in the ovaries of a queen shuffles the chromosomes she inherited from her parents. As a result, the queen's female offspring are likely to inherit mosaic chromosomes with different combinations of mutations, says Biology Professor Amro Zayed, whose lab conducted the research.

Recombination allows natural selection to act on specific mutations without regard to neighbouring mutations.

"If I'm a good rower in a dragon boat with 49 poor rowers, I am going to lose all of my races. But if teams were shuffled after every race, I'll likely have a better chance of winning. I may even get to be in a boat with 49 good rowers just like myself," says Zayed. "The same thing happens with mutations on a chromosome. Recombination makes the evolutionary fate of mutations independent of their surrounding neighbours, which enhances the process of natural selection.".

The team believes that they have solved one of the mysteries of the honey bee's genome, says postdoctoral research associate Clement Kent, lead author on the study.

"The honey bee has the highest rates of recombination in animals – ten times higher than humans. Our study shows that this high degree of genetic shuffling has turned on the evolutionary faucet in parts of the bee genome responsible for orchestrating worker behaviour," says Kent. "This can allow natural selection to increase the fitness of honey bee colonies, which live or die based on how well their workers 'behave'."

Last edited:
In this part of Europe our stock animals are tagged and registered no matter where they roam, they still belong to the heard owner.
Unless they turn into a horse, then they can go anywhere they want...:icon_204-2:

hehehehe.

But EU has not legistation which stops horses to turn beef cattle.

It is not nice to laugh to your own joke.

Last edited:

Sorry. Norwegians are quite odd gang.

Genetic contributions..... Hmm something like bees and flowers,

Last edited:
Sorry. Norwegians are quite odd gang.

Genetic contributions..... Hmm something like bees and flowers,

We were always taught that the Vikings came from Denmark.... but was not Norway part of the Danish Empire at one time?

:judge:

I looked a while ago genetic map of British Isles and European folks' genetic map.
It has not allways been. It is about 10 y old information. Norwegian viking genes are much in Scotland.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back