Boiling Frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezd

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
Anyone know of a boiling stove that can be used for cleaning frames up in bulk?

ta

Jez

Do you have any suggestions for where you could aquire a suitable drum?

How about some lateral thinking?

What is usually in steel drums? Often known as oil drums?

PH

Prevention of explosions

Technically, fill drum with inert material before attempting to cut off the end, if there is any chance of volatile combustibles having been contained within the drum at any previous time, unless the drum is suitably steam cleaned for at least an hour and a half.

Your life in your hands!

RAB

I get mine from a local paint maker, they get solvents and similar in them. Look in yellow pages or yell dot com. They are usually very happy to get rid of them as they are charged 10s of quid to have them removed.
For pallets look for pallet manufactures. They often rebuild them and have a pile of scrap, However the wood burns fast.

However the wood burns fast

Good from the point of view of increased rate of energy release. Ya don't have to put it all on the fire at once!

Beware of limitations as to what fuel can be used where (eg smokeless zones and areas).

A large, propane burning, gas ring burner would be much more controllable.

RAB

thanks, there seems to be agreement of a drum then

agreement

Seems so - as it appears to be the only suggestion. Not like a normal beekeeping post!!

How about a second hand Jaccuzzi? Heat with electric? Fab - you could use it for other purposes for the rest of the year!!

Also depends on what you call 'bulk'. For me, my burco is just about big enough for my bulk of frames. You can get a deep National box in most cut down 200l drums, but only on it's side.

If really large bulk quantities, more than one tank would be required. See the posts on the Scottish sterilising plant.

RAB

Finman,

Square, rectangular or circular cross section?

Jezd,

I would think a square or rectangular tank of 'just a little larger' than the box dimensions would be best. Easy enough to fabricate (and insulate), really.

Need a grid to be able to submerge frames, if put in loose, and a lid to retain the heat (and safety), ideally. A properly designed and constructed stand (from scrap pieces of angle iron?) would be far safer than 'a couple of blocks'. A gate valve, or similar, for draining the tank would be good. An open wood fire would not be recommended for indor installations.

Just a few thoughts to be going on with.

Regards, RAB

An old copper that they used to use to do the washing in the 1950's. If you can find one they are electrically heated from underneath and will boil anything. try ebay!

Latest posts

Back