Defective Tea Urn

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olivia9801

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Can anyone advise on how easy it would be to rectify a defect I have on two of my urns that I use for the boiling of my frames?

One of them cuts out when it gets to a certain temp whilst the other doesn't heat at all. It's not the fuses.

Would like to know from anyone who has repaired theirs.

Thank you.

Can anyone advise on how easy it would be to rectify a defect I have on two of my urns that I use for the boiling of my frames?

One of them cuts out when it gets to a certain temp whilst the other doesn't heat at all. It's not the fuses.

Thank you.
They will just be like a kettle element. The one that doesn't work probably needs a new one . You need one of these old electrical wholesalers you sometimes see down a back alley..... Or Google for a replacement. There isn't much else can go wrong

Thank you.
Tea urns have various types. Some have a setting knob to set the storing temperature, some have two fixed setting internal thermostats that look like buttons with two wires, some have an overheat/anti boil dry stat which has a reset to press after the unit cools down. Your non heating unit MIGHT be the latter? Have you opened up the casing (at the bottom) to look for potential causes?

Tea urns have various types. Some have a setting knob to set the storing temperature, some have two fixed setting internal thermostats that look like buttons with two wires, some have an overheat/anti boil dry stat which has a reset to press after the unit cools down. Your non heating unit MIGHT be the latter? Have you opened up the casing (at the bottom) to look for potential causes?
No but will have a peep. Can they fixed OK?

It will probably be cheaper to buy a wooden box and a sheet of glass. A metal tray the side of the frames. Let the sun do the work.

It will probably be cheaper to buy a wooden box and a sheet of glass. A metal tray the side of the frames. Let the sun do the work.
The OP mentioned boiling frames not recovering wax. Can you use a solar heated box for that?

I do have a solar wax melter, but they can only do so much in removing the old wax, hence boiling the frames.

Yes, my urn has a 'restart' button on the underside of the barrel ie underneath. If it's there try pressing it!

I do have a solar wax melter, but they can only do so much in removing the old wax, hence boiling the frames.
Ok no problem, mine come out clean enough from my solar though.
The OP mentioned boiling frames not recovering wax. Can you use a solar heated box for that?
Not sure why I would want to boil frames but fine, just trying to help.

Thank you.
Check the element first .. if the element has blown there are usually signs (split casing or signs where it has expanded). They are all pretty standard and really easy to replace. After that it's either the switch or the thermostat (moat have a separate thermostat). Most of the boilers are pretty much the same ... This will point you in the right direction, it's not rocket science but you may need the assistance of someone with a bit of DIY ability if you are not confident about doing it yourself. The older ones have an exposed element in the bottom of the boiler and are easy to change, the newer ones are sealed in and the video shows a way of getting round those.

Ok no problem, mine come out clean enough from my solar though.

Not sure why I would want to boil frames but fine, just trying to help.
I boil my reclaimed frames in a solution of washing soda - brings them up like new.

Last week I had the element out of the Burco Cygnet that I too have used to boil clean frames with. The seal needed reseating. The screws holding the element plate to the seal underneath had all rusted and they were tiny (M3). I ended up having to drill them out and retapped them. Then realised the element had gone when I ramped up above setting 4 :( I haven't ordered the element yet but the cost of the replacement at £60-80 is as much as just buying another Burco secondhand so may well do that instead.

If you are going to try and fix it electrically, it may be worth temporarily putting a moderately high wattage light bulb in series to limit the current so that you aren't tripping the household power when it hits the short but instead simply turns on the light bulb.

Last week I had the element out of the Burco Cygnet that I too have used to boil clean frames with. The seal needed reseating. The screws holding the element plate to the seal underneath had all rusted and they were tiny (M3). I ended up having to drill them out and retapped them. Then realised the element had gone when I ramped up above setting 4 :( I haven't ordered the element yet but the cost of the replacement at £60-80 is as much as just buying another Burco secondhand so may well do that instead.

If you are going to try and fix it electrically, it may be worth temporarily putting a moderately high wattage light bulb in series to limit the current so that you aren't tripping the household power when it hits the short but instead simply turns on the light bulb.
Thanks for your reply. Sounds like you got the same as one or two of mine. I'm hoping I can find a cheap replacement element for one whereas the other sounds like the resett button needs pressing. Sadly it does look as though buying a new one is the cheapest alternative which is ludicrous. Good luck!

Thanks for your reply. Sounds like you got the same as one or two of mine. I'm hoping I can find a cheap replacement element for one whereas the other sounds like the resett button needs pressing. Sadly it does look as though buying a new one is the cheapest alternative which is ludicrous. Good luck!
Various heating elements can be purchased quite cheaply from ebay shops or if you are lucky you might have an old fashioned electrical parts shop in your nearest town.

Latest posts

Back