BIBBA talk on Ley Lines

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may worship the ground RP walks on. Personally I think he should not have polluted Dave Cushman's excellent website with his own ideas. Dave's site was a testimony to his lifes work which ought to have been left well alone as a memorial.
I agree to some extent but .. it was always a changing and evolving website in Dave Cushmans lifetime - he chose Roger to take on his legacy on the understanding that it would continue to evolve - perhaps Roger's style may be less impartial than Dave's singular narrative but I don't think Dave would be unhappy that his website continues to have a life or that it has adopted a slightly different style. In fairness, RP always makes it clear where there are his words and Dave's are still all there as far as I can see ...

He specifically asked that all non-beekeeping websites and pages stay exactly as they are and I promised I would maintain them
Only the 'non beekeeping' ones. But to be honest I can't even find those nowadays. IIRC there was quite a bit on there to do with ballistics, drop distances etc.

People cannot find Leylines but willow twig can. Just learn to use the twig. It bends however.

You may worship the ground RP walks on. Personally I think he should not have polluted Dave Cushman's excellent website with his own ideas. Dave's site was a testimony to his lifes work which ought to have been left well alone as a memorial.
WHAT!
RP has done an excellent job of ensuring the supply of one of the most useful free resources on the net. It is absolutely clear what is his own opinion and what is DCs.
If you don't like the changes, you can download the whole site (as I have done for offline use and usability). If you wanted you could remove RPs stuff. Personally I think he has greatly add to it.

I thought it was like Facebook where you add to a specific post and those who were engaged with the particular topic would see the relevant information I had found.

You were correct in that assumption. Where a topic has piqued my interest sufficiently for me to make a post there myself, I am alerted when there are additional posts on that thread.

I also think it's useful to dig up old threads and bump them up when someone has more to offer or has a nuanced question or opinion on the same subject. When somone does that, at least youknow there's a chance they have absorbed previous wisdom and aren't taking a "lazy" route.

ley lines i dont really even know what they are or are not, or how they would even work ect, but i can sometimes find a pipe with a stick or welding rod, ive seen other people do it when given up with some very expensive kit, they literally been abel to walk along where the pipe runs and even say if other pipes or wires cros it

Dowsers have been employed to search out positions for sinking boreholes for extracting water. Also the oil industry had used them, so plenty of trusting parties to rely on dowsing as a good means to an end.

Personally, I necver had any clue as to whether ‘I could dowse’ until about ten years ago, when I tried bent coat hanger wire suspended through plastic pen barrels. I was thinking it worked (where I knew a drain ran) so tried it (very fairly) slowly walking down a hospital corridor, knowing that there was likely drains underneath somewhere along it. The wires simply went mad as I passed along at one point. Looking up at the doors on either side was the lightbulb moment that meant “yes!”. The doors either side were for the ladies and gents toilets. That was the simple test for proving dowsing ability for me.

I’ve never used anything other than pieces of bent coathanger wire in plastic pen barrels, since, as that certainly works for me. I have no reason to believe that bees are not more clever than me at finding ley lines - in fact I fully expect they are - they possibly experience wiggly antennae whenever the cross them, for all I know.🙂

But continually posting, as above - particularly for a new member - who appears to have one aim on the forum - needs curbing.

Yes - there is a lot of anecdotal evidence but no scientific research to support it. However, I stick by what I said - magnetism isn't energy (and also, gravity isn't magnetism).

Ah but with magnetism and motion you can generate electricity.
And with magnetism and electricity you can produce motion.
And with electricity and no motion, you can produce magnetism.

And with magnetism on its own, you can produce motion.

I knew Dave Cushman fairly well so I have a lot of sympathy for this view. However, a lot of Daves pages were merely placeholders for things he wanted to talk about.
I am not a fan of Roger Pattersons changes - Dave had an engineering background so his skill comes through in his drawings and descriptions. I don't think I am being too critical to say that Roger doesn't have Daves background and skills. Sadly, I find little to refer to in his writings but it would have been nice if an engineer could have developed Daves ideas and filled in some of the gaps. This would have maintained it's relevance as a "living memorial".

I am not a fan of Roger Pattersons changes - Dave had an engineering background so his skill comes through in his drawings and descriptions. I don't think I am being too critical to say that Roger doesn't have Daves background and skills. Sadly, I find little to refer to in his writings but it would have been nice if an engineer could have developed Daves ideas and filled in some of the gaps. This would have maintained it's relevance as a "living memorial".
Do you have reason to doubt RP when he describes himself as an 'engineer by trade' ?

Or that he ran his own business for 25 years ?

Do you have reason to doubt RP when he describes himself as an 'engineer by trade' ?

Or that he ran his own business for 25 years ?

Engineer is quite a broad description so I'm not sure what sort of engineer Mr Patterson was. I meant no disrespect to his abilities, only that his contribution is not as technical and the pages have taken on more of a "blog" feel to them since he took over.

My admiration for RP is for the drive and energy he has put into the Zoom Presentations.

Now I believe he has been appointed President of BIBBA so he is likely to put that drive into them.

My admiration for RP is for the drive and energy he has put into the Zoom Presentations.

Now I believe he has been appointed President of BIBBA so he is likely to put that drive into them.
I am sure his ability to make friends and influence will do the cause a world of good😇

Ah but with magnetism and motion you can generate electricity.
And with magnetism and electricity you can produce motion.
And with electricity and no motion, you can produce magnetism.

And with magnetism on its own, you can produce motion.

Yep, all illustrating the properties of magnetism. But the energy to do the work isn't originating from magnetism, it comes from electricity or physical movement or whatever.

This is all getting a bit daft. All I said was I thought calling ley lines energy lines made it sound like hocus pocus.

Yep, all illustrating the properties of magnetism. But the energy to do the work isn't originating from magnetism, it comes from electricity or physical movement or whatever.

This is all getting a bit daft. All I said was I thought calling ley lines energy lines made it sound like hocus pocus.
It's all good fun though isn't it ? Can't say you don't find some variety in here... Dave Cushman woukd have felt very much at home on here ... he was a BBKA dissenter as well so he would appreciate the reason the forum was established in the first place...

It's all good fun though isn't it ? Can't say you don't find some variety in here... Dave Cushman woukd have felt very much at home on here ... he was a BBKA dissenter as well so he would appreciate the reason the forum was established in the first place...
Good isn’t it.
The way threads meander is one of the great things about this forum.

I agree to some extent but .. it was always a changing and evolving website in Dave Cushmans lifetime - he chose Roger to take on his legacy on the understanding that it would continue to evolve - perhaps Roger's style may be less impartial than Dave's singular narrative but I don't think Dave would be unhappy that his website continues to have a life or that it has adopted a slightly different style. In fairness, RP always makes it clear where there are his words and Dave's are still all there as far as I can see ...

In fairness Phil DC's website was recognised as reference source and now.................

In fairness Phil DC's website was recognised as reference source and now.................
It is still all there ... you can compare the original website with what is there now ... there is nothing of significance that has been removed - all DC's drawings and diagrams are there, all his reference tables ... yes some pages have been added to but you can clearly see where the additions and annotations have been added as they are in a different font and RP notes where they are his comments ...

I'm not sure what the fuss is about ... the alternative to what RP has done would have been the robbing of bits of the site (that actually happened shortly after DC's death) as it was all copyright free or for it to just expire as nobody would be there to maintain it. Websites don't maintain themselves ...

I certainly would not have liked to take on the task - hand coding in HTML is a real PITA and RP had the task of repairing some 1800 broken links as DC had done nothing to it in the last two years of his life - understandably as he was getting very frail.

I wonder if this outpouring of angst about the legacy would have been the same if it had not been RP to whom the task was bequeathed ? And ... who is up for the job when RP gets too old to continue ... any volunteers ?

We should all be grateful that such a fantastic beekeeping resource is still available - apart from the fact that Roger has added to it in his own inimitable style I really can't see why anyone is complaining.

Latest posts

Back