Best tyres for pick up truck

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMH

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Decided to get rid of the road tyres that came with the truck.

Any recommendations on what to get?

Thinking BFG All Terrain.

Want good road performance/good snow performance/good mud performance/good wear

Less interested about noise or ride.

I like the tyres I have on for tarmac but they are poor in anything but a dry field.

Decided to get rid of the road tyres that came with the truck.

Any recommendations on what to get?

Thinking BFG All Terrain.

Want good road performance/good snow performance/good mud performance/good wear

Less interested about noise or ride.

I like the tyres I have on for tarmac but they are poor in anything but a dry field.

No contest... B T GOODRICH MUD TERRAIN.....

Nadelik Lowen

BF Goodrich 50/50's .. a friend has 80% off road 20% on road tyres on his defender they do roar a little on the road but handling wise they are the same as 50/50..they are a bit pricey but they last for ever..

How do you differentiate?

All I can see is a single type which I think is the 50/50

No contest... B T GOODRICH MUD TERRAIN.....

Nadelik Lowen

I was considering mud terrain but heard they are pretty bad on wet tarmac? Any feedback.

Ill do be doing a lot more mileage on roads than mud

I use BFG KO2 ATs - delighted with them. Buy online for best price.

Best I can see is £600ish for 4 not fitted.

Or £158 a tyre fitted.

Is that the right ball park you reckon?

General grabbers have a range to suit different terrain

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I was considering mud terrain but heard they are pretty bad on wet tarmac? Any feedback.

Ill do be doing a lot more mileage on roads than mud

On a Land Rover Defender TD5 110 pickup... so a heavy vehicle... no problems

Perhaps on some of the skinny tinny 4wd Far eastern jobbies .. may be a problem... but had similar to BFG MT on the Suzuli Vitara without much problem but the LT200 skiided like an ice dancer on anything... unless full of sheep .... RUST IN PEACE!

Nadelik Lowen

General AT Grabbers live on my Navara - good on road & general off road use

Decided to get rid of the road tyres that came with the truck..............................Want good road performance/good snow performance/good mud performance/good wear. Less interested about noise or ride. I like the tyres I have on for tarmac but they are poor in anything but a dry field.

I think you are looking for an expensive premium tyre - realistically just how much off road do you drive? - the better the off road capability the poorer on road abilities in general. You could try looking at winter tyres, they are made of a softer compound for the colder temps but can give excellent wet/mud/snow traction but may be less good for wear and fuel economy, you can use them all year round but you will get less mileage out of them. If you are off road a lot just go for anything with aggressive block treads, just remember they may be unsteady on wet tarmac especially. For longevity have a look at some of tyres generally made for light commercials - vans - many are really excellent.

Kumho KL71, so of a half way between an AT & MT, all terrain are useless on anything other than a muddy track, I have them on our landy a and if it wasn't for having difflocks in both axles would have been stranded a few times, they are 12.5 '' wide though which is great for traveling the tramlines when setting out on rape but just sit on top and spin in a bit of slop.

Modern 4x4 with traction control are allright but get more than one wheel spinning and the system tends to gets confused which can happen even on wet grass. Murox hits the nail, can not beat large open treads.

Last edited:
Best I can see is £600ish for 4 not fitted.

Or £158 a tyre fitted.

Is that the right ball park you reckon?

I paid £800 for 4 fitted last year. Had my pickup now for 11 years and this is the 4th set of tyres BFG A/T KO2’s best tyres I’ve ever had good on and off road
Had land rovers for 20 years before the Hilux came along so gone through and tried a few 4x4 tyres over the years

I paid £800 for 4 fitted last year. Had my pickup now for 11 years and this is the 4th set of tyres BFG A/T KO2’s best tyres I’ve ever had good on and off road
Had land rovers for 20 years before the Hilux came along so gone through and tried a few 4x4 tyres over the years

Seconded.

Kumho KL71, so of a half way between an AT & MT, all terrain are useless on anything other than a muddy track, I have them on our landy a and if it wasn't for having difflocks in both axles would have been stranded a few times, they are 12.5 '' wide though which is great for traveling the tramlines when setting out on rape but just sit on top and spin in a bit of slop.

Modern 4x4 with traction control are allright but get more than one wheel spinning and the system tends to gets confused which can happen even on wet grass. Murox hits the nail, can not beat large open treads.

Its a difficult one because I do so much road mileage in the truck but want a bit more grunt when im going round fields.

I dont do any challenging terrain and limit myself in winter months when the ground is sodden.

I just have 100% road tyres at the moment and they spin all over the place in a wet field.

But I cannot give up decent road traction for off road capability as my driving is so skewed to the former.

Its a difficult one because I do so much road mileage in the truck but want a bit more grunt when im going round fields.

But I cannot give up decent road traction for off road capability as my driving is so skewed to the former.

There is no really good way to have the best of both worlds, other than have two vehicles.

One for your road work and something like a JCB fastrac for your off road bee work.

Last edited:
Exactly, so I'm happy to give up off road prowess for traction on the tarmac.

At the moment, I've got road tyres on. Just want a happy compromise

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back