Best tyres for pick up truck

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its a difficult one because I do so much road mileage in the truck but want a bit more grunt when im going round fields.

I dont do any challenging terrain and limit myself in winter months when the ground is sodden.

I just have 100% road tyres at the moment and they spin all over the place in a wet field.

But I cannot give up decent road traction for off road capability as my driving is so skewed to the former.

Road tyres will always be useless on a wet grass field, most all tyres will spin on a wet grass field unless you you get the gearing and speed right. Take a good long look at either AT tyres or mud and snow symbol carrying tyres. I used winter mud and snow tyres for over 10 years whilst living on mainland Europe and never had any problems on or off road driving an old ford maverick. Now I drive an old Freelander with currently the tyres that came with it, they are a 4x4 tyre but not good on wet grass (surprise!). I will revert to winter mud and snow tyres soon when these are finished.

So what is the recommendation for 20" rims ?

The Cooper Discoverer AT3 Sport (60% on-road and 40% off-road tyre) look good but unfortunately don't come in 255/50 R20 yet

Last edited:
General grabbers have a range to suit different terrain

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I have General Grabber A/T 3's on my Pick up, the ones with the three peaks snow challenge accreditation, good on and off road, took it on an off road day back in the summer and managed to get up a hill with ease that a two Range rover Discos and a freelander couldn't.
To be fair that's probably also down to the vehicle and the driver but I'm chuffed with them.

I do a lot of road miles with occasional building site visits but also use it at the weekend for bee related stuff, including driving across wet and muddy fields

Last edited:
Could have done with some of those Mudgrabber tyres this PM.
Pick up got well bogged down at a new apiary site, tyre treads just dug through the grass, filled with mud and spin spin spin....Only by the skin of my teeth (and low box) did I manage to reverse back down and drive a new route to the top of the hill.....looks like this apiary is a summer only drive in job. Unless I want to improve my difficult conditions driving.

Could have done with some of those Mudgrabber tyres this PM.
Pick up got well bogged down at a new apiary site, tyre treads just dug through the grass, filled with mud and spin spin spin....Only by the skin of my teeth (and low box) did I manage to reverse back down and drive a new route to the top of the hill.....looks like this apiary is a summer only drive in job. Unless I want to improve my difficult conditions driving.

Get a winch and a ground anchor :)

Or spoil yourself and get two, never know when you have to recover backwards.

I recovered a mate with a mitsi l200 from the moors last year, he has goodyear at on they had filled with mud and it slipped down a bank a very long way, had 175 yds rope out on the front and 110 yds on the rear plus a 20 ft strop and just reached him, nothing to winch off, luckily I have a D44 ground anchor from my off road days which was first time used in nine years.

Or spoil yourself and get two, never know when you have to recover backwards.
Sound like an expensive plan..... Not much change from a grand for a mounting plate and winch.
I shall just accept that even with a 4x4 there are times its advisable to show caution...hilly soft damp muddy grass with a heavy truck is not a good combination.

I shall just accept that even with a 4x4 there are times its advisable to show caution...hilly soft damp muddy grass with a heavy truck is not a good combination.

I agree, have had l200's almost stuck and making a good mess and the landrover 110 stuck and a FWD tractor almost stuck trying to pull it out, ended up leaving it where it was for a couple of weeks and then pulling it out with the tractor, most farmers round here use John Deer gators, excellent in these conditions as light weight, like a luxury quad, so bought one of these especially for getting round some of these places in winter (although seems to get used most days)...also fitted with a wince just in case, but unlikely to be needed.

Sound like an expensive plan..... Not much change from a grand for a mounting plate and winch.

Consider doing what I used to do - The tyres I used were studded snow tyres with the studs removed and used them all year, they are thicker and do not get punctured so easily, and seemed to work well. Chains are also good in mud too. Get a good set with as many cross links as possible - less tendency for the tyres to spin. Look for a set like those used on forestry machines (log skidders) for use on your truck. Served me well back in the day.

Interesting. How where the tyres on general road driving?
Not sure chains would have helped much as we were on a very muddy uphill slope and all tyres where simply coated in mud and spinning, nothing underneath to grip onto as very soggy patch.
I was beyond my D-Max's driving limits.
Just fortunate that reversing (sliding backwards at weird angles...:)) to bottom of valley and then forging my own "track" on new ground got me out.
A winch would have been a cinch....but currently don't have one...

Last edited:
Not sure chains would have helped much as we were on a very muddy uphill slope and all tyres where simply coated in mud and spinning, nothing underneath to grip onto as very soggy patch.
Just fortunate that reversing (sliding backwards at weird angles...:)) to bottom of valley and then forging my own "track" on new ground got me out.

Its a catch 22 N ... from one extreme to another.. you rather need road tyres or off road tyres.. i have done a lot of off road driving over the years and i mean a lot and the all terrain tyres can get you out of some sticky spots but the mud terrain tyres take it to another level..if you ever go that route from experience BF Goodrich are the dogs danglies.. some friends i know have cheap steel rims with mud tyres on them that they use at this time of the year..when the time is right they change the wheel's back over to the road wheel's .. ;) ..

On the road they were fine, less mileage of course. Millet is right its catch 22. If you really need good off road mud pluggers its either have a specific vehicle with them on or have two sets of wheels/tyres to swap around.

Latest posts

Back