Pick up Truck

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMH

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Looking at getting a pick up truck between xmas and new year as im fed up of getting stuck in fields in my Audi A3 when moving bees around!

Just test drove the Nissan Navara and really liked it.

Need something that is going to be comfortable as I do around 20000 business miles a year and something that is efficient as it possibly can be.

Any ideas or recommendations.

Budget is £30k max.

Seen a pre reg navara tekna (17 plate) for £25k inc vat

Toyota Hilux - will never let you down. Only down side is a sub par mpg.

Heard very good things about the hilux.

Went to try and test drive it today and one of the employees had taken the only Hilux home for the holidays.

As if they let him take it without a single vehicle to show potential customers!

Up until relatively recently I had a Ford Ranger 2.2, before that I had the older model, both were very nice to drive and not that bad on fuel, as long as you didn't drive with a lead foot, the last one was a 2014, it never let me down and could drive long distances (Scotland to Midlands) and still feel fresh as a daisy.

Interesting.

I was really interested in the Ford Ranger but heard it was worst of them all for fuel economy.

Might give it a second look.

Merc X class, from £28k

Attachments

• mercx-579_0.jpg
    mercx-579_0.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 30
Toyota Hilux all day long had my 57 plate 2.5 HL2 since new 10 years ago, just done over 100,000 miles and other than service consumables has cost me a rear exhaust back box & a set of front brake pads. It's going to need a clutch soon as this one has started to slip a bit but it does get some serious off road work.
My last vehicle was a MK3 Hilux which I only sold to buy the new one. My next car will be a Hilux
Wingy

Looking at getting a pick up truck between xmas and new year as im fed up of getting stuck in fields in my Audi A3 when moving bees around!

Just test drove the Nissan Navara and really liked it.

Need something that is going to be comfortable as I do around 20000 business miles a year and something that is efficient as it possibly can be.

Any ideas or recommendations.

Budget is £30k max.

Seen a pre reg navara tekna (17 plate) for £25k inc vat

Not read about Nissan's Nevara breaking chassis then?

"It appears that if rust gets to the chassis rails of the Narava pickup, they can corrode badly enough that the vehicle essentially snaps in half as if something has broken its back.

This sounds alarming – and it looks it too; there are plenty of example pictures available on the internet. So there definitely is a potential problem.

Some reports seem to be suggesting that Nissan is ignoring the complaint. However, in an official statement issued to Parkers, the company confirms: ‘We’re aware of an issue affecting a relatively small number of previous-generation (D40) Navaras.’"
https://www.parkers.co.uk/vans/news-and-advice/2017/february/nissan-navara-snapped-chassis/

I know it's the previous model but Nissan's response has so apparently poor on this, I would run a mile as new models tend to use lots of the old one.. and it shows Nissan's view of customer care as carp in my view.

I'd go Toyota - at least they care for customers when they get it wrong...most of the time.

Yeah I read about that but like you said, it was the previous model and only certain registrations for a two year period. Doesnt say much for their customer care, I agree!

I knew Beekeepers (and terrorists) tended to go for the Toyota.

Seems this forum is no different :)

Booked myself a test drive on the hilux for the 27th and found some pre reg invincible X's for £29k.

My brother has a 2011 Hilux invincible , horrible thing to drive between the boaty steering, noise, engine that sounds like a bag of nails and woeful MPG.

Im sure that the new hiluxs are better but I'd take a look at the VW Amorak or the Ranger if you want a bit of refinement.

There are my priorities:

1. Economy (I realise a pick up isnt the best to fulfil this)]
2. Refinement (I spend a lot of time in my car)
3. Off road ability (as long as it can drive in a wet field that will do)

Maybe ill go back and have a look at the ford and VW.

They are a fair bit more expensive

This is why I liked the navara.

Class leading MPG
Nicely refined in the cab

and cheap!

Amorak's are shite, mate had a new one and the gear box went before it went twenty thousand miles.
I drive an x reg l200 and think it's great.

Nissan, toyota, Mazda and mitsubishi make extremely good pick ups, if I had to choose one it would be the Mitsubishi.
Ford Ranges was up there but sadly without the Mazda backing/partnership they are no longer the truck they were. They use Ford Transit engines and the first off the production lines where recalled for faulty oil pumps, some never made it for the recall.

I think bee farmers get discount on new Toyota's, worth looking into?

Nearly all the aforementioned trucks are no good for beekeeping unless they have a single cab,as the load space on double cabs is too small.your probably end up needing a trailer if you keep building you hive numbers.

Yes, TJ told me about the bee farmers discount. Think I can probably haggle a better deal with a pre reg cash sale but worth a look as I will be signing up with them anyway on Jan 1st.

All of the double cab pick ups can take 4 hives in a single layer, 8 when doubled up.

Thats more that enough for me. I dont move them around that much. Its more access for feeding and treating and moving nucs.

Use an Isuzu Dmax myyself, extended cab can get 6 nationals in back. Supposed to return over 40MPG, but 36-37 is more what I'm averaging. Range of models from basic (mine) to leather seats.

The mitsubishi was actually my first choice!

Cant remember what put me off it now!

Hadnt thought of the ISUZU.

Thats definitely worth a look as well!

Argh - I cant test drive them all!

Do these count as pick-ups? ;)
Only 5x your budget and I think the mpg might be a bit lousy.

Mercedes-Benz-Unimog-yellow-Bee-Beekeeper-2.jpg

Latest posts

Back