Best Electric Extractors?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It's a fairly fluid thing.... more than 10, less than 15
I have a biggish birthday coming up (ahem) at the end of the year and OH asked what I wanted. Don’t really need or want much but would love to upgrade to a nice electric radial extractor, preferably holding at least 10 frames.
We usually get friends to chip in for big presents (it’s either that or another load of bee themed stuff I really don’t need!), so looking to spend around £1000 ish.
Recommendations please?

Quite pleased with my 9 frame konegin electric/manual with tangential screens.
A 12 frame would be good as it has more options for even loading of frames when not full.
Got to fit through a standard doorway though!

I’d put big purchases on hold until the appropriate moment. Abelo usually have offers on around the national Honey show for example.
If you waited until the next BeeTradeX in February then you’d have plenty to choose from. Carl Fritz would get my vote

Dont touch the konegin. Go for the heavy duty 9 frame thornes plastic. Easy to clean, goes through doors without taking legs off. Parts available . Thornes replace parts with no quibble (Not that you will need any). Comes apart easily. Totally washable and squeaky clean. Doesnt cut your hands to shreds. Works like a dream.

Abelo would be my recommendation, they have a wide range of Lyson extractors, many which would fit your budget/requirements, and Damian is always open to doing a deal if you phone up for a chat.
After sales service is unbeatable as well.

Abelo would be my recommendation, they have a wide range of Lyson extractors, many which would fit your budget/requirements, and Damian is always open to doing a deal if you phone up for a chat.
I’ve their 20 frame for the money you’re looking to spend. It’s not quite a Thomas extractor but it’s half the price!

Dont touch the konegin. Go for the heavy duty 9 frame thornes plastic. Easy to clean, goes through doors without taking legs off. Parts available . Thornes replace parts with no quibble (Not that you will need any). Comes apart easily. Totally washable and squeaky clean. Doesnt cut your hands to shreds. Works like a dream.
You seem to be the only person I've heard of who got a konegin with sharp edges! Mine is fine, I wouldn't discount them.
I do wish they had made the base slope to the honey gate though - I have to tip it to get the last of the honey out.

Ditto that-Enrico you should have returned that one.Mines great and my stand kneels down to the front so the flat base is no issue either.I've modded the back leg fixings so it can be quickly turned inside out for logistics and storage

Last edited:
Quite pleased with my 9 frame konegin electric/manual with tangential screens.
A 12 frame would be good as it has more options for even loading of frames when not full.
Got to fit through a standard doorway though!
My 12 frame German electric has been brilliant these last 4 seasons optionally we got the swing cage for i I think it was £1300
I might be selling mine after the season and getting a 20 frame .

You seem to be the only person I've heard of who got a konegin with sharp edges! Mine is fine, I wouldn't discount them.
I do wish they had made the base slope to the honey gate though - I have to tip it to get the last of the honey out.
Mines on a strong pallet bolted to it so I can use a pallet truck to move it around .
I use an empty bucket to wedge under one side to drain not ideal .

Ditto that-Enrico you should have returned that one.Mines great and my stand kneels down to the front so the flat base is no issue either.I've modded the back leg fixings so it can be quickly turned inside out for logistics and storage
Oh, trust me. I did return it!!!! It annoyed me you couldn't remove the frame to clean it and the honey used to get stuck in the bottom seam. If you reached to the bottom to wipe it dry or clean it it would cut my arms on the frame. It was razor sharp! I think I may have just been unlucky but the whole thing was a shambles. You needed a degree to turn it on and off again let alone anything else.

If you reached to the bottom to wipe it dry or clean it it would cut my arms on the frame. It was razor sharp! [...] You needed a degree to turn it on and off again let alone anything else.
I have the konegin 12 frame and have never cut my arms when cleaning/drying it!

It has a range of timed operating programs but you don't have to use them. Just switch it on manually!

Lots of great advice thank you! And it definitely needs to fit through a doorway as I extract in our kitchen and have no plans to build a honey room just yet....
I currently have a 4 frame manual tangential extractor with a filter and settling tank with honey valve which means that it sits on the floor and I have to remove it and lift onto a work surface to get the honey out. That bit is tricky as it probably holds about 30lbs of honey when full so have to keep emptying it or I can't lift it! And it's annoying to have to keep turning the frames round. It was fine for my first two years but last year took ages to extract and with more hives this year, it will be unbearable! Just a couple of daft questions though please:

I'm guessing the radial removes honey more efficiently than the tangential extractor?
What is a swing cage and why do you need one?

I'm guessing the radial removes honey more efficiently than the tangential extractor?
not really - you build up more force with tangential, that's why you need it for heather
It's a fancy tangential extractor basically. but the cages are hinged so you can just flip them over rather than having to lift out the frames to reverse

Last edited:
Lots of great advice thank you! And it definitely needs to fit through a doorway as I extract in our kitchen and have no plans to build a honey room just yet....
I currently have a 4 frame manual tangential extractor with a filter and settling tank with honey valve which means that it sits on the floor and I have to remove it and lift onto a work surface to get the honey out. That bit is tricky as it probably holds about 30lbs of honey when full so have to keep emptying it or I can't lift it! And it's annoying to have to keep turning the frames round. It was fine for my first two years but last year took ages to extract and with more hives this year, it will be unbearable! Just a couple of daft questions though please:

The advantage of a radial extractor is that you can get more frames in the drum than the same size drum with a tangential basket. I share your pain with a few colonies and a small extractor. I picked up a 30 year old electric Lega which takes 15 frames - brilliant bit of kit, built to last forever - easy to take apart and clean - downside (only realised when I got it home) I need to take two of the legs off to get it through the back door ! Measuring is not one of my strong suites ... Mind you, for what I paid for it.... I can live with the slight issue of taking it apart to be able to use it.

I got a 20 frame radial in the sale 3yrs ago, just the basic minima line, and it's one of the best investments I made- great quality, nice and simple, v robust. No swing cages for heather which is my main crop, but that's probably not the case for most beekeepers so I'd highly recommend, haven't tried the tangential screen that can be fitted as probablyneed another counterbalancing it to make it practical. Spent months pouring over specs and couldn't find anything like it for less than 1k, I got it for 695 I think.

I got a 20 frame radial in the sale 3yrs ago, just the basic minima line, and it's one of the best investments I made- great quality, nice and simple, v robust. No swing cages for heather which is my main crop, but that's probably not the case for most beekeepers so I'd highly recommend, haven't tried the tangential screen that can be fitted as probablyneed another counterbalancing it to make it practical. Spent months pouring over specs and couldn't find anything like it for less than 1k, I got it for 695 I think.
Oh, it also doesn't perfectly fit Manley's which are my preference, but I've still managed with it fine

Oh, it also doesn't perfectly fit Manley's which are my preference, but I've still managed with it fine
Good point Rory - check whatever you buy is compatible with what you’re planning to spin out

Back