Best buy 2010

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Manger at Lidl was most helpful and exchanged "jam maker" when I explained about the thermostat. The replacement is a little better but still heats to 60 degrees when set at the bottom of the 40 degree mark. Just have to adjust with thermometer. Seems to be a case of TADTS!

Haven't even had mine out of the box, yet, but I wanted something that would boil water for cleaning or to sterilise jars and make jam rather than be super accurate.

At £900, I'd need to have a lot of honey to prepare for bottling.

I bought mine to melt wax without having to bring it all indoors and spread it around the kitchen. for melting and filtering wax it works a treat, I now have all of last years wild comb and a national brood box worth melted into a single block. simples :D

taff..

Do you put the water in with the wax ?

Also when you have your melted wax do you filter it through the tap?

taff..

Do you put the water in with the wax ?

Also when you have your melted wax do you filter it through the tap?

I put about 7 or 8 litres of rain water in the tank, put a sheet over the tank and secured it with a bungee, then put the dirty wax on the sheet, the steam melts the wax so that it can drip through the sheet, most of the muck stays on the dirty side of the sheet, switch boiler off and let it cool.

I hope that makes sense

162808_10150135571656102_757301101_7841774_4311840_n.jpg

Thanks taff..

Great explanation.

I bought one this afternoon.

Cheers.

Popped into Tesco (next door to Lidl ) got a Sunday Mirror took the £5 Lidl voucher out, bought the "Jam Maker" (and a box of mandarins to get me over the £30 required for the discount..... ) Result : Jam Maker for £25.99
Another voucher in tomorrow s Daily Mirror I believe....

I put about 7 or 8 litres of rain water in the tank, put a sheet over the tank and secured it with a bungee, then put the dirty wax on the sheet, the steam melts the wax so that it can drip through the sheet, most of the muck stays on the dirty side of the sheet, switch boiler off and let it cool.

I hope that makes sense

Come back tomorrow and dig out the block of wax on top of the water? How easy is it to remove in this way?

With the amount of wax shown, you will have a disk of wax which should be relatively easy, but the ambitious might have a little more of a problem as the aspect ratio of the wax disk becomes decidedly cylindrical.

Last edited:
not really a major problem is it? turn the whole thing upside down and the wax falls out. ;)

Hombre,

It does say non-stick lining. How long it might last is one question, but removal from above water is usually a simple affair (even with a Burco boiler).

As it cools it contracts and is easy to dislodge from the side wall. Usually comes out in one piece.

Regards, RAB

Hombre,

It does say non-stick lining. How long it might last is one question, but removal from above water is usually a simple affair (even with a Burco boiler).

Had been wondering about that having recently taken ownership of an old Burko for the intention of cleaning frames - any reason why it can't be used for wax filtering as described?

Non stick and wax do not belong in the same sentence.

Be warned....normal rules do not apply.

PH

PH

Non stick and wax do not belong in the same sentence.

Even less so, Burco and non-stick!!

But no problem at all with it.

Regards, RAB
--------------------

Monsieur Abeille,

wax filtering as described

No reason why not, but I have never bothered to try it like that. I usually fill well over half full with water, load with frames and take whatever I get after having given them a good scrub and allowed them to drain. I recover the wax disk (after scooping out most of the detritus and pouring through a seive) and then use boiling caustic soda to give the frames a good clean, usually the next day. Not cheap on 'lectrik', so I have a good heap to process, or it might have been cheaper to buy new frames!

You won't have enough to bother about with just two colonies, well not for a long time!

My Burco has the 'old style' 90 degree tap. I removed the 'keeper' and remove the valve cone if I want to drain my wax into a plastic bucket. It would freeze if any wax were left in it.

The wax disk usually has a lot of detritus on the underside. I usually wire brush until back to fairly clean wax and recycle the 'wire brushings' at a later date, for any wax amongst it.

Regards, RAB

Hombre,

As it cools it contracts and is easy to dislodge from the side wall. Usually comes out in one piece.

Regards, RAB

exactly that RAB, the wax does not stick to the sidewalls, as you say though, weather or not it lasts is another question.

We had a wax cleaning talk at the BKA this year, and we were told by the person giving the lecture that he always uses a ceramic lined pot because the wax doesn't stick to it. this boiler is ceramic lined IIRC

Use an old large sauce pan .
when wax has set, pop in the freezer for a few hours , it's amazing how much shrinkage occurs ,making it easy to remove !

John Wilkinson

To return to the original question, I'm rather hoping the best buy of 2010 turns out to be this Giordan 9 frame radial electric (via drill) spinner that I've just taken delivery of and cost around £350. Time will tell.

Latest posts

Back