Beliefs of Forum Members...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you believe in?

• Christianity

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • Other

Votes: 14 12.0%
  • Non-believer

Votes: 68 58.1%

• Total voters
Richard Dawkins attacks faith equally aggressively...

There is always a danger in any conflict of both sides using the 'he started it' defence. The only way out is reasoned debate; and unfortunately this is difficult when the 2 sides speak different languages. (continued below)

Now him along with (and I hate to say it Derren Brown) need shooting. Proof is not as a result of the "because I say so defence". He is a complete toilet. I have watched many of his so called serious investigations and i find him just as bad as Anne but on the other end of the scale. I say this He says, so therefore it's fact and I have shown why so there.

Richard Dawkins is an opinionated man-possibly not the only one in the world. This doesn't make him wrong, however. I have watched his programmes and was pleasantly surprised, given his reputation, at how carefully he put his arguments- particularly eg when debating face to face with a creatonist.

It can be very frustrating when putting forward a logical argument, to have it basically sidestepped while your opponent just repeats their opinion.

Interviewers get frustrated when politicians dodge the question and repeat the party line, no reason why Dawkins shouldn't get frustrate in the same situation.

I don't think you can defend or attack Dawkins specifically unless you use specific examples. I could however I'll bail on this occasion as it would involve trawling his many programs to hawl up specific occasions. I haven't genuinely got the time now. Online tax returns *whimper* so I'll pass. This is a stress smoke break lol

Actually I will say this on Dawkins - you cannot as be does, make a programme which lasts for an hour on the "delusions of religion", speak to half a dozen religious fanatics - mainly from the third world, bully them verbally to answer your specific questions despite what they would also like to say, and then write off the entire religious cummunity world wide as delusional control freaks and claim you have proved beyond doubt your claims. And to boot claim you are a paragon of investigative journalism. Same accusation at Mr Brown re psychics. Anyway back to tax zzzzzzzz

Last edited:
Rev. Langstroth
Rev. WB ****
Bro. Adam
Abbot Warre

and plenty more no doubt. There is a strong traditional link between beekeeping and the church.

Rev. Langstroth
Rev. WB ****
Bro. Adam
Abbot Warre

and plenty more no doubt. There is a strong traditional link between beekeeping and the church.

a nice link -now my mind's realing! ....Digges...Dugat....

There is a strong traditional link between beekeeping and the church.

It may have had something to do with only 'working' on Sundays ('Revs') or the religious retreats (Monastaries)? Certainly not the 'run of the mill' people who a) could likely not read or write and b) needed to graft to stay alive.

Now me, I reckon God was likely an astronaut, or similar. Perhaps should include Cosmonauts as well - they were likely religious before the communists took over.....

Not sure about believing in UFOs, now that one reportedly travelled all the way across the cosmos, galaxy, or whatever - visited the Earth, and accidentally hit a wind turbine blade, knocking it off. Amazing, but apparently that occurred in Lincolnshire quite recently (last year?)! Didn't leave any clues as to them being there. No evidence at all - they must have done a good clean-up job on the site and rushed away to hide before anyone noticed......

RAB

Maybe they were trying to nick it!

Nah, they would have taken another one, if they spoiled one while trying to 'pick it'. Surely wouldn't have come all that way and given up at the first attempt!!!.....would they?....

RAB

oliver90owner;184397It may have had something to do with only 'working' on Sundays ('Revs') or the religious retreats (Monastaries)? Certainly not the 'run of the mill' people who a) could likely not read or write and b) needed to graft to stay alive.[/QUOTE said:
I think originally it goes back to the time when all church candles had to be pure beeswax. Obvious answer is to keep a few dozen wax factories.

time when all church candles had to be pure beeswax.

Ahhh, so when were tallow candles permitted?

Regards, RAB

A reconciliation is possible...

Hello everybody...
I'm no longer a beekeeper, although I once used to help my Dad out with his 'killer hornets', so I do know a little about the craft and still take a passing interest..
A beekeeping friend told me about a discussion on the forum which she thought would interest me. 'Dawkins' and co....
During an incapacitating illness, I set out to find out whether one could reconcile Religion and Science using only logic. Twenty years on, I can confidently say 'Yes, you can', but it needs a bit of careful defining of terms and openness to the requirements of elementary logic.
I was as astonished at this discovery as many readers of this paragraph will be, but I insist it is possible.
Obviously,I can't go into detail here, but if anyone is interested, the book is available as a free download on Scribd. It's called DarwinPlus!
The key to the reconciliation is dropping all dogmas. We all know that Religion is riddled with dogmas, but what nobody seems to realise is that Science also holds a dogma (which science never should) which is not only irrational but also unsupported by any evidence. No room to spell out this apparently outrageous claim here, but I assure you that if this interests you, then DarwinPlus! will offer food for thought.
If you can't find 'D+' on Scribd for some reason, then please contact me via my website 'thirdleafbooks' dot co dot uk and I'll send you a copy direct.
Good luck with all your bee efforts. I realise you are generally having a thin time of it just now. Chas Griffin

An elderly lady was well-known for her faith and for her boldness in talking about it. For instance, she would stand on her front porch and shout "PRAISE THE LORD!" Next door to her lived an atheist who would get so angry at her proclamations he would shout "There is no Lord!"
Hard times set in on the elderly lady, and she prayed for God to send her some assistance. She stood on her porch and shouted "PRAISE THE LORD. GOD I NEED FOOD!! I AM HAVING A HARD TIME. PLEASE LORD, SEND ME SOME GROCERIES!!"
The next morning the lady went out on her porch and noted a large bag of groceries and shouted "PRAISE THE LORD!"
The neighbour jumped out from behind a bush and said! Aha! I told you there is no lord. I bought those groceries. God didn't"
The lady started jumping up and down and clapping her hands and said "PRAISE THE LORD!! He not only sent me groceries but he made the devil pay for them!"
VM

I don't think you can defend or attack Dawkins specifically unless you use specific examples. I could however I'll bail on this occasion as it would involve trawling his many programs to hawl up specific occasions. I haven't genuinely got the time now. Online tax returns *whimper* so I'll pass. This is a stress smoke break lol

Actually I will say this on Dawkins - you cannot as be does, make a programme which lasts for an hour on the "delusions of religion", speak to half a dozen religious fanatics - mainly from the third world, bully them verbally to answer your specific questions despite what they would also like to say, and then write off the entire religious cummunity world wide as delusional control freaks and claim you have proved beyond doubt your claims. And to boot claim you are a paragon of investigative journalism. Same accusation at Mr Brown re psychics. Anyway back to tax zzzzzzzz

I genuinely think we may have seen different programmes- I don't watch that much telly, but that doesn't sound like what I saw.

Good luck with the tax!

Praise the lord,anybody been dowsing for good locations for the beehives.

Praise the lord,anybody been dowsing for good locations for the beehives.
I let the bees do the dowsing :). Swarms have a habit of arriving in my apiary and taking over any boxes they can find the smallest chink in! :sifone:
VM

Latest posts

Back