Beetradex update

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was at Beetradex yesterday and was shocked by 2 people (not together) in the queue who seemed to have walked out with their goods without paying - at least they didn't return while I was in the queue - and that was at least half an hour. The first said he had to go and check on his dog in his car, so myself and the chap in front said we would watch his stuff and keep his place. To our surprise he took his stuff with him - and didn't return. Then the chap behind with 2 poly nucs apparently took a phone call then walked out with his stuff and didn't come back. I was quite shocked. I'd like to think that maybe they returned and paid for their goods after I had paid for my stuff and left the queue. Maybe I just try and see the best in people!

I exchanged my wax with National Bee Supplies I had 53lb and they gave me 10 packs of brood and 12 packs of super.
I have no idea if that was a good deal but I was happy.

With bulk clean wax currently trading at £10 to £14 Kg that is a figure of £250 or north of that for the foundation, but exchange wise it is not far different from Thornes old 2 for 1 offer...2ld wax for 1lb foundation. The foundation works out at about £22 per kg dependent on thickness...assuming good robust stuff...if thin then even more expensive.

Sabina our manager was there and reported prices generally as high but trade brisk in the first hour.

FWIW...seeing the rate the bes are taking syrup at, and all the activities I have on my plate before it all kicks off...the forum will probably not see a lot of me until autumn now....have loads of trucks inbound of parts, frames, and wax for customers over the next four weeks...will be very busy. AND the OSR is starting to stretch in lots of places....

Last edited:
I exchanged my wax with National Bee Supplies I had 53lb and they gave me 10 packs of brood and 12 packs of super.
I have no idea if that was a good deal
I think with Maisies, that would have cost you 37lbs of wax, Thornes, 41 lbs

Just been to BeeTradex, and feel very deflated by the missing traders. I later found out why some of the big names were missing. Apparently the show is now owned by Bee Equipment and the rumours going around were that they had been priced out due them being direct competition.

And then having to wait over 45 mins at Bee Equipment stand just to pay for my items, which I could not get from anyone else as they were not there.

I will be watching the trader list next year before I make the journey again.
I hope short answer to the many questions I have neglected to answer, just been so busy wit the deferent business interests I have.

My business interests are varied and have been for 50 years, engineering, newspapers, skip hire, UVA sunbeds, property developer and so much more. Now its, Bee-Equipment, Wax & Wick, Burts Country store, Bees and other Pollinator magazine, Murfet Manufacturing, soon to come, Festival Of Bees and a couple of other things lined up.

I would hate for anyone to have to waste time searching, just ask if you are not sure.

Cubanflyer, where did you hear that we had priced ? anyone out of Beetradex, we did all we could to encourage the missing couple of traders, those that attended received huge discounts on the mt rate from the last time it was held, Maisemore decided they did not want attend any more shows other than the Welsh one, Thornes where invited several times, Abelo where offered a discount stand as was Simon, Simon has verry little stock other than that obtained from Maisemore.

Aagain you are just spreading false stories with no foundation,

The only truth in what you have posted is the 45min wait to purchase, we had in excess of 2000 wrist bands given out.

They could have been because we are the second largest company in the UK and one of the most progressive.

:iagree: It was the main reason it was set up - as an alternative to the BBKA spring convention, in the first place, and the reason I used to trek halfway across the country to be there .
If it's just going to be a bee-centric country fair from now on, it needs to be labelled as such
This is going to be a venue for the Beekeeper with added interests, all the free talks where bee education based.

You can try to undermine my various interests, unfortunately the general beekeeping community are can see through it, 2000 plus tickets tell the story

I think with Maisies, that would have cost you 37lbs of wax, Thornes, 41 lbs
To me it sounds like the early Henry T Ford, yes you can have any colour you want so long as it is black or you can buy any thing you want as long as it from us. To me running an event like this and being an exhibitor is a conflict of interests.
Well of course you could have put your money where you mouth is an bought it couldn’t you ! or maybe not, just site and try to put down a verry successful show.

" you are just spreading false stories with no foundation " Not even a starter strip? I like what you did there ...;)

couldnt make to Beetradex this year but will hope to try it next bit of a trek for me but will make a weekend of it.
Steve

Not in the Apiary, but today I went to Beetradex and had a great time, saved a huge amount of cash on amazing offers. Knowing now what this event is like and the offers the exhibitors have I think it will save a lot of money slipping the Thornes sales and just getting everything I need from this show.
Pleased you enjoyed the show, we have some things to learn but overall I thought it was a huge success as did most visitors
" you are just spreading false stories with no foundation " Not even a starter strip? I like what you did there ...;)

couldnt make to Beetradex this year but will hope to try it next bit of a trek for me but will make a weekend of it.
Steve
Thanks, look forward to seeing you next year :)

I hope short answer to the many questions I have neglected to answer, just been so busy wit the deferent business interests I have.

My business interests are varied and have been for 50 years, engineering, newspapers, skip hire, UVA sunbeds, property developer and so much more. Now its, Bee-Equipment, Wax & Wick, Burts Country store, Bees and other Pollinator magazine, Murfet Manufacturing, soon to come, Festival Of Bees and a couple of other things lined up.

I would hate for anyone to have to waste time searching, just ask if you are not sure.

Cubanflyer, where did you hear that we had priced ? anyone out of Beetradex, we did all we could to encourage the missing couple of traders, those that attended received huge discounts on the mt rate from the last time it was held, Maisemore decided they did not want attend any more shows other than the Welsh one, Thornes where invited several times, Abelo where offered a discount stand as was Simon, Simon has verry little stock other than that obtained from Maisemore.

The only truth in what you have posted is the 45min wait to purchase, we had in excess of 2000 wrist bands given out.

They could have been because we are the second largest company in the UK and one of the most progressive.

This is going to be a venue for the Beekeeper with added interests, all the free talks where bee education based.

You can try to undermine my various interests, unfortunately the general beekeeping community are can see through it, 2000 plus tickets tell the story

If you cant persuade other major bee equipment suppliers in the UK to turn up, even after 2 years of lock down, its not a tradex anymore and there is something wrong here.

People have long memories

Steve

Beat me to it, excellent punning. Likewise for next year... Although even if I had been free this year, I tested positive yesterday so am shut in the spare room and still wouldn't have made it.

Beat me to it, excellent punning. Likewise for next year... Although even if I had been free this year, I tested positive yesterday so am shut in the spare room and still wouldn't have made it.
Cheese sandwiches under the door?

Cheese sandwiches under the door?
Doing better than that! Had porridge for breakfast, some form of cauliflower cheese plus a pasta thing and garlic bread for lunch and just having a bowl of leek and potato soup (I made it on Friday, fortunately not passed under the door!) delivered on a tray, with a good supply of tea. What goes around comes around. :)

Wonderful. If I tested positive I suspect stan might quarantine in the bedroom and I would have to feed him
Only joking. We share everything even disease. 😂

Intrigued about the comment about STBK and stock. I thought most of their stuff was from China. The foundation certainly seems different to the stuff from Maisemore (and others).

If you cant persuade other major bee equipment suppliers in the UK to turn up, even after 2 years of lock down, its not a tradex anymore and there is something wrong here.

People have long memories
Sorry, you do realise we are the second largest equipment supplier in the UK don't you, along with other suppliers who are largest in their field, or is that just splitting hairs

:iagree: It was the main reason it was set up - as an alternative to the BBKA spring convention, in the first place, and the reason I used to trek halfway across the country to be there .
If it's just going to be a bee-centric country fair from now on, it needs to be labelled as such
No, that was not the main reason it was set up, the reason it was set up by Toney is because he thought the BBKA’s move to Harper Adams was a tragic one and that beekeepers would not attend in the numbers that Stoneleigh attracted and he was right. Purely a commercial decision.

I turned up on Saturday and while dissapointed at the lower number of exhibitors, was able to purchase what I had ordered, what I needed and some things that I wanted (but technically do not need). Seeing the long, long queues at the Bee Equipment stand I did not even bother to look at any of their stuff. One new exhibitor I bought from was PLUK (Beekeeping - PLUK Limited) If you make your own floors then it is useful to know that their varroa mesh is a fraction of other people's prices.

So thanks to Patrick for investing in keeping the show going, but I imagine that it will need to increase the number of exhibitors in order to continue to be economically viable

I turned up on Saturday and while dissapointed at the lower number of exhibitors, was able to purchase what I had ordered, what I needed and some things that I wanted (but technically do not need). Seeing the long, long queues at the Bee Equipment stand I did not even bother to look at any of their stuff. One new exhibitor I bought from was PLUK (Beekeeping - PLUK Limited) If you make your own floors then it is useful to know that their varroa mesh is a fraction of other people's prices.

So thanks to Patrick for investing in keeping the show going, but I imagine that it will need to increase the number of exhibitors in order to continue to be economically viable
I have often looked at PLUK but always thought they expanded mesh looked flimsier than others on the market,what is your impression?. Several other suppliers offer mesh at similar prices.

Back