Bees Terrrorising Neighbours

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beepad

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I keep my bees (2 to 3 hives) on my allotment. It's my second season. There were no problems last year but the bees have gradually become more aggressive over the course of this year and are now terrorising my adjacent allotment neighbours. I'm desperate to keep my bees but realise I need to consider those round and about. Any tips or advice would be gladly considered.

Move them asap.
Find an isolated out-apiary. Far better to do that then to have another "bees attack" story in the press.

You could try re-queening but a) that isn't guaranteed success, and b) could take 6 weeks or so to show significant difference.

If it was me I'd be looking for another apiary fast.

I keep my bees (2 to 3 hives) on my allotment. It's my second season. There were no problems last year but the bees have gradually become more aggressive over the course of this year and are now terrorising my adjacent allotment neighbours. I'm desperate to keep my bees but realise I need to consider those round and about. Any tips or advice would be gladly considered.

More info is needed, is it a new queen?, are the bees hungry? is the bees flight path over your neighbours allotment? Do you have a high enough fence around them to make them fly higher?

These are but a few questions. Im sure some one else will think of more to ask you

I think you already know the answer - unfortunately you will have to move them.

I have had a similar problem with a couple of my hives with new queens -looks like they mated with some bad tempered drones!

I am looking for a new site for my apiary long term and in the short term I think I have a site on the NY Moors which will buy me some time and with a bit of luck some heather honey.

More info is needed, is it a new queen?, are the bees hungry? is the bees flight path over your neighbours allotment? Do you have a high enough fence around them to make them fly higher?

These are but a few questions. Im sure some one else will think of more to ask you

Do your neighboring allotment holders stink like old bears?
Tell them to take a bath and wear white boiler suits when near your bees... and stop annoying them by flapping around any time a bee gets near them?

Is there not a quiet sunny corner away from the other allotmenteers where you could put your bees?.. after a 3 mile move first!!

forgot I am supposed to be on strike today... had to reply as this happened to me... no longer on those allotments! I was not posh enough!!!

Both queens are last years. Both hives have lots of food supplies. I have erected 6ft close netting screens around the apiary so the flight path is above all our heads. The main problems are generally for a day or 2 after any opening of the hives even the quickest of inspections. It takes the form of perhaps 1 to 3 bees which seem to hang around and hold a grudge. They follow and get in the hair then sting. Things then seem to settle down.

Both queens are last years. Both hives have lots of food supplies. I have erected 6ft close netting screens around the apiary so the flight path is above all our heads. The main problems are generally for a day or 2 after any opening of the hives even the quickest of inspections. It takes the form of perhaps 1 to 3 bees which seem to hang around and hold a grudge. They follow and get in the hair then sting. Things then seem to settle down.

We've had some really muggy and thundery days over the past month in this neck of the woods. This can put the bees in a bad mood. I regularly sit and watch my hives without any disturbance, however last week on a thundery day I had followers, which resulted in a sting on the head. I was doing nothing different and have done it since, they were just in a bad mood.

I think you already know the answer - unfortunately you will have to move them.

I have had a similar problem with a couple of my hives with new queens -looks like they mated with some bad tempered drones!
You're right I do know the answer. I probably should put all my efforts into finding a new site. Cheers it helps to hear it from someone else.

We've had some really muggy and thundery days over the past month in this neck of the woods. This can put the bees in a bad mood. I regularly sit and watch my hives without any disturbance, however last week on a thundery day I had followers, which resulted in a sting on the head. I was doing nothing different and have done it since, they were just in a bad mood.
I suspect the weather is playing its part. Can't seem to shake off the wind.

Do your neighboring allotment holders stink like old bears?
Tell them to take a bath and wear white boiler suits when near your bees... and stop annoying them by flapping around any time a bee gets near them?

Is there not a quiet sunny corner away from the other allotmenteers where you could put your bees?.. after a 3 mile move first!!

forgot I am supposed to be on strike today... had to reply as this happened to me... no longer on those allotments! I was not posh enough!!!
Yes they do stink like bears. However so does the wife so as you can see I am under pressure from all sides.

Anyone keeping bees in close proximity to others, e.g. Gardens or Neighbours should have a back up apiary, as a bolt hole as a matter of routine. I think it should be in place prior to getting the main location, as it could be a day, a week, a year or many years before it's needed. Doesn't neccasarily need to be your own out-apiary, just a local agreement with another beekeeper than in an emergency, you can use their out-apiary or remote garden apiary is fine. I know of several beekeepers that have hosted hives in an emergency - better to move an agressive colony quickly, leaving the calm ones in position, than wind your neighbours up with a colony that is stinging / following them for weeks before deciding to do something. They'll associate it with 'the bee hives' wheras if you quickly move the one offending colony they will learn that it was that 'specific' colony and see it as a one off issue that is being dealt with.

Adam

Anyone keeping bees in close proximity to others, e.g. Gardens or Neighbours should have a back up apiary, as a bolt hole as a matter of routine. I think it should be in place prior to getting the main location, as it could be a day, a week, a year or many years before it's needed. Doesn't neccasarily need to be your own out-apiary, just a local agreement with another beekeeper than in an emergency, you can use their out-apiary or remote garden apiary is fine. I know of several beekeepers that have hosted hives in an emergency - better to move an agressive colony quickly, leaving the calm ones in position, than wind your neighbours up with a colony that is stinging / following them for weeks before deciding to do something. They'll associate it with 'the bee hives' wheras if you quickly move the one offending colony they will learn that it was that 'specific' colony and see it as a one off issue that is being dealt with.

Adam
Sounds like a good idea. Its one of the few suggestions I have not encountered on courses or in my books.
I am not sure which of the colonies is producing the followers. It could be both.
In this particular case the couple effected have not complained and are always quite keen to talk about the bees and have enjoyed some honey. I have discussed with them changes already made to the apiary such as position and screening to overcome the problem and they are still onside. I am waiting to see the results of further screening and alternative watering points. (The bees currently favour the neigbours pond) The allotments are fairly remote with only 2 plots being close enough to be effected. However even if these measures help I think the only answer is to relocate completely or give up. There has been 1 sting which is 1 too many. I have bought some time by moving the hives to the NY Moors(next week). But once the heather season is over I will need to be in a position to make my decisions. If I cannot find an new location I will reluctantly close down the apiary. I will not sell up as I would continue my search having already had great pleasure from beekeping.

Hope you find a good out apiary site. I had the same problem with a first cross - they were fine in an out apiary, but not suitable for close proximity to people since they had a tendency to patrol larger areas - I am convinced guard bees actually fly and patrol as well as being by the hive door!! but what a difference - I am less tense, the bees are more relaxed and I love the remote site - only problem is carting my barrow of stuff 300 metres up a slight hill after inspections.

Hope you find a good out apiary site. I had the same problem with a first cross - they were fine in an out apiary, but not suitable for close proximity to people since they had a tendency to patrol larger areas - I am convinced guard bees actually fly and patrol as well as being by the hive door!! but what a difference - I am less tense, the bees are more relaxed and I love the remote site - only problem is carting my barrow of stuff 300 metres up a slight hill after inspections.
Cheers, It helps to know you're not the only one to encounter this problem. I envy you and your hill in Cornwall - my favourite county.

Move them asap.
Find an isolated out-apiary. Far better to do that then to have another "bees attack" story in the press.

dont want stories of allotment holders jumping over fences and drowning in the water butt.

Latest posts

Back