Looking to learn

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Been keeping bees for about 10 years having been given hives and some tools by my neighbour who used to keep his bees on my allotment. He was largely self-taught, and taught me the maxim: ask 10 beekeepers a question and you'll get a dozen answers. He accompanies me sometimes, but has health issues. On Saturday I'm attending my first official beekeepers' practical event having joined a local branch of BBKA. I know I make mistakes, but I want to avoid making the same one twice. Fascinated by posts on the forum about leaving supers on over the winter. I have done, and the posts have made me consider how I might do differently this season.

Been keeping bees for about 10 years having been given hives and some tools by my neighbour who used to keep his bees on my allotment. He was largely self-taught, and taught me the maxim: ask 10 beekeepers a question and you'll get a dozen answers. He accompanies me sometimes, but has health issues. On Saturday I'm attending my first official beekeepers' practical event having joined a local branch of BBKA. I know I make mistakes, but I want to avoid making the same one twice. Fascinated by posts on the forum about leaving supers on over the winter. I have done, and the posts have made me consider how I might do differently this season.
if you have been keeping bees for 10 years .and it as worked for you why change .

Welcome Macbear ... it's a great forum and always busy, plenty of help always on hand.

There's always many ways to keep bees ... most of them work and those that don't the bees will usually rectify - but there's a wealth of knowledge and innovation on here that you won't find in the bee books ... there's always something that you can pick up and run with. We are all still learning ...

if you have been keeping bees for 10 years .and it as worked for you why change .
I know there are times when I get it wrong. For example, my second hive didn't appreciate being opened this week - I was dinged 8 times through my nitrile gloves. I usually get less than 5 dings in a season, so reason to reflect.

I know there are times when I get it wrong. For example, my second hive didn't appreciate being opened this week - I was dinged 8 times through my nitrile gloves. I usually get less than 5 dings in a season, so reason to reflect.
The bees will usually tell you when you are doing something they don't appreciate ... I don't know where you are in England (you might want to add your location to your profile) but where I am it's stlll too early to be opening them up and messing about with them.

Latest posts

Back