Bees on the new £1 coin

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Spain, the psychophysical aptitudes of the driving license must be renewed every 10 years, although from the age of 65 its renewal is more frequent, and driving can even be restricted to a radius of 50km from the home or at speeds below 80km/h.

I just had to renew mine being over 70. It’s just an online questionnaire.
SWMBO's grandmother renewed hers about six months ago - even though she's medically unfit to drive due to macular degeneration and the only driving she's done for over a year is reversing her car out of the garage on to the driveway to make it easier to rearrange the garage and make it easier to get her mobility scooter in and out!!
And also to clean the car before selling it, which she did last month.

SWMBO's grandmother renewed hers about six months ago - even though she's medically unfit to drive due to macular degeneration and the only driving she's done for over a year is reversing her car out of the garage on to the driveway to make it easier to rearrange the garage and make it easier to get her mobility scooter in and out!!
And also to clean the car before selling it, which she did last month.
My father hadn't driven for nigh on twenty years but held on to his red cardboard driving licence simply so he could sit alongside me when I turned 17 and was learning to drive.

SWMBO's grandmother renewed hers about six months ago - even though she's medically unfit to drive
Getting your driving licence is a rite of passage and losing it is a huge thing. As long as she isn’t driving then all I can say is… bravo!
She lied on the form though 🙈

Getting your driving licence is a rite of passage and losing it is a huge thing. As long as she isn’t driving then all I can say is… bravo!
She lied on the form though 🙈
yes, Belinda, her mother and aunty just kept banging on at her to give up and sell the car and the more they nagged, the more stubborn she got -I told them to leave it to me and after a few long chats (and roping in one grandson) we finally talked her around. She only used it to go to the post office a mile away or the occasional three mile trek to Amanford and nowadays it was easier for her to use the scooter!.

Getting your driving licence is a rite of passage🙈

Less so over the last few years it seems, but perhaps that will change again. Initially because Covid messed things up so many teenagers in their last year of school/college just didn't have the opportunity to take lessons or their test. We were really lucky that my son managed to squeeze his test in between lockdowns and fortunately passed first time.

Since then, depending on where you are in the country, there seems to have been a huge shortage of instructors and/or examiners. I know they have a couple more in training, but for quite some time in Taunton there's only been a single examiner. New appointments (for six months ahead) are made available weekly around 6am on a Monday morning. They're all gone within a matter of minutes. For many teenagers failing first time means they'll be at university before they can get another unless they're lucky enough to pick up a cancellation (which loads of other people are also trying to do). I know of people who have taken test appointments several counties away because it was pretty much the only way to get one more quickly.

And of course there's the cost. Lessons for our daughter just went up in price to £60 each and that's with a one-woman band instructor. I imagine the "big name" schools are more. At that sort of price plenty of people just can't afford it. I've no idea if it's true or not, but I've been told that one of the reasons there are so few used low-power (up to 125cc) mopeds and motorbikes for sale at the moment is that it's easier and much cheaper to do the initial training and ride them on L plates for two years (or more, if you repeat the training once the time limit expires).

James

Latest posts

Back