Bees are dying as they emerge- help please!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Black comb, (to me) is mans' intervention.
It is not natural, nor is it, productive.
Expect problems if your combs are black.

sooty feet.... they have been in someone's chimney, in a coal yard or "up the tump" as me granddad would have said..... anyway looks dark brown to me!:rolleyes:

I see nothing wrong in the comb, it can look like that after one season from freshly drawn fondation

From the sound of it, it is all over. Depending on which replies I take notice of, the colony is doomed and their comb is worthless! I love being a beekeeper!

Really?

I have done some removals as a favour for a friend in the roofing trade of colonies that have been in roof spaces for years.

Black combs? Sometimes so black, so old and so tough that it was like cutting through heavy cardboard boxes, almost needed a saw rather than a knife. The longest comb I ever met in one of these was well over 20 feet long, and as black as coal for much of its length.

Not productive? The heaviest cut out (and it was on dark comb) was nearly 500 lbs of honey, all of it sycamore. Years ago Bob Couston cut one out with over half a tonne.

Expect problems? Guess these bees did not read the 'natural colonies and new comb all the time' theories.

From the sound of it, it is all over. Depending on which replies I take notice of, the colony is doomed and their comb is worthless! I love being a beekeeper!

Colony doomed? definite yes.
Comb worthless? Probably no.

Yes, we do have these occasional gems of wisdom on the forum. Everything we all wanted to know about black magic, the occult and witchcraft.

I belong to another fraternity that goes around in all white suits, wears funny hats, blows smoke over everything and can often be spotted with other members doing strange things in the middle of the night.........

I belong to another fraternity that goes around in all white suits, wears funny hats, blows smoke over everything and can often be spotted with other members doing strange things in the middle of the night.........

lol........guess that makes you a Druid or KKK..............after all NOTHING we do as beekeepers could POSSIBLY be considered strange!

Yes, we do have these occasional gems of wisdom on the forum. Everything we all wanted to know about black magic, the occult and witchcraft.

:rolleyes:Do you use RED lanterns ?:rolleyes:

Err, Yes!

We get ambushed by the anti-poaching brigade or the police at least once a year. When they find out who we really are they issue that famous British army command "Leg it lads"...........

Could be a heavy infestation of mite. upside down and tongues out ? but I would expect pererated caps.
But willing to be corrected.

Latest posts

Back