Beekeeping - wheelchair users

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saradan

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi Beeks

Do you know of any wheel chair users who are beekeepers?

I had a telephone call from someone who is a wheel chair user asking for some general advice about beekeeping as she would like to start keeping bees.

I recall from the past that she is a very determined lady and doesn't let her disability get in the way of what she wants to do. I suspect her husband would be participating, if so lifting and carrying shouldn't be an issue.

Regards

Tony

I think Hedgerow Pete often has disabled people in his apiary,he should be able to advise.

Top Bar Hives are perfect for wheelchair users - no heavy lifting, and can be made to the appropriate height!:)

hi saradan,

lots of experience with wheel chairs and bee hives, what do you need to know?

my bee shed was one of several i built for a very good friend of mine as he was going to be the biggest wheel chair bound bee barron of the midlands. i have also dealt with several other wheel chair people afterwards

So the question was asked and the massive reply does start.
But before then can i just point out several items first. I get enough complaints as it is.
I am not in any way shape or form politically correct, EVER. I am also not in any way shape or form biased; the world has enough Isiams as it is without me jumping on the band wagon.
Lastly I am not going to say wheel chair bound user or person of different physical attributes, etc etc, cripple worked for John so for me it stays.
There is a full and detailed account of the man this was written about and designed for at the bottom, whether you read it or not is up to you but it might help to explain the rest of his attitude.
Right now down to the beginnings of dealing with a wheel chair user in an apiary.
So where to begin?
Let’s try at the gate. The person this was written about, John was able to self propel him self on and off busses and up to the allotment gate way, get through the gate and up to the bee shed/allotment. Most of which is tarmac if your have a grass or other type path, yes they can get along it when it’s dry but after a spring shower might be a little difficult for them. Over grassed areas we used to use a layer or 4 of old carpets ripped into 1.2m strips as a sort of run way for him. As this pathway made it smother for the wheels too as well as grip. But slabs around the hives and pathways are easiest.
Most cripples can deal with the odd slope but nothing to fast or too long and dog legged. If you struggle your self to get to the bees they ant got a chance!
Beware of thorn bushes etc as well
Now we are getting some where close to the bee hives, but we ant there yet.
Now the logistics and designs start to get silly. The top of johns legs were approx 650mm from the floor without his hand rails so we tried the hive stand at 700mm to the under neath and a brood box on top (12x14) the idea was he could sit under the hive and look in from the top but being a short arse he could not really look over that well, so we tried the sit him along side the hive and get in style which was better for him to deal with but did cause him a back pain because he was always side on and working from a twisted position. So we lowered the base of the hive to 300mm of the floor and made him sit square on in front of it so he was leaning on to his knees, then into hive which worked well for john.
All of our hives went to standard national broods as he found the 12 by 14 frames too much at arms length at times, weight wise, so to help out we went into AMM bees rather than his first choice of Carnie.
All supers are half size, that is to say that each super is only big enough to handle 4 frames. In which case he was only lifting max 10 kg. It’s not the weight that he was lifting as such; the problem was that as he had no use of his legs he had nothing to push against to lift them. We found this out by chance as he tried to lift a full super and basically its weight won and John, super, 9 full frames and a lot of bees ended up going for a Burton over the floor head first. Some times you never have a camera when you want it!

Height wise we tried John with up to 3 layers of supers but he found it more comfortable dealing with two, as don’t forget he also had to shift 4 super boxes before he got to the brood box.
Other problems we also encountered was that he needed some form of carrier as when he removed a full super he had to carry it back to his house so we made a couple of boxes up so he could roll down the road with a half super hanging on each side of his chair.

PPE.
This poor sod got stung so many times until we sorted it out, it went way past a joke on several occasions, secondly we had to on more then once remove trousers to get at stings which were even funnier than you can imagine.
I only wear normal trousers and a bee top. John’s problems were that they were ok, BUT, if a bee went down between the wheel chair back support and him, it would sting into him when he sat up. Second problems were that he kept getting stung on his bum via the underneath of the chair seat as his was made from a mesh. Also when he did get stung his legs would swell up as anyone else would but with no pain he had to be careful not to get stung to many times as it started to affect him, i.e. shock etc, hypo sensitive.
We sorted it out with a padded cushion under his bum and back and two sets of trousers one normal one made from Velcro so he could that then off when he wanted to. Think sleeping bag idea but shorter.
Gloves were not used, because he wanted it that way, i personally always have to wear them.
Shoes rather than changing into willies all the time what we came up with was a couple of demin bags that went over his feet to seal the shoes to the trousers, that worked pretty well and saved mucking about with shoes and boots. We eventually went into a small sleeping bag idea that he just pulled up to his hips and tucked into his jacket.
We also had to re wire his veil, as when you use a bee suit sat down it has a habit of rising up or being in the wrong place, so we used some brass wire to stiffen the hood section up. He also found that a baseball cap under the veil helped keep every thing tightly in shape to. They have to sit lower down the face when your sat down as the back normally holds the front in place with him leaning forward we lost that control.
Ho,Be aware of what ever sort of medical stuff they carry around with them too, we had a bee sting, puncture into Johns bag the once, we ended up using duct tape on it so he could get to hospital to get it changed, when he did fall over with the full super we burst that bag as well.

Now this is where things started to get complicated.
John being unemployed and on benefits wanted to make some money from honey.
He has all day to get to the hives and back and the busses run all the time in Brum, but he had only a limited time slots some days to do manipulations, so we use to use a massive fisherman’s umbrella to cover him up from the rain whilst he worked on the bees. Which is ok but when its windy he could not put his foot on it, to hold it still where as i could. So we made a steel tube with a bolt on the side so once in place he could tighten the bolt up to help steady it.
So the bee sheds were then designed and invented and built by me and a friend and John. John managed to play the helpless cripple act on several idiots and managed to blag off the council 6 allotment plots all roughly the same size, about 15 foot square or 5metres in modern money. This meant we could build a shed approximately 12 foot by 8 foot and have a decent pathway to it.
In a shed 12 foot by 8 foot we can have three hives on the 8 foot wall and more down the sides, or four on each side. We reckoned 10 were its limits, if we doubled stack we could do 20 but per area we were dealing with 8 is fine. John could not have reached that high anyway.
Each shed was set up using a scaffold boards and ply wood as a base with a standard 3by2 frame and ply on the outside, no linings on the insides apart from the hive support frames. This allowed his feet to go underneath the hive he was working on.
Honey extraction due to the can being so high needed him to find his latest girlfriend a job to do, but i suppose he could have used anyone. A small pump or scoop to get the honey from the bottom of the extractor to the container on his kitchen base would have worked as well. But that’s a separate issue really.

Hive types.
We played with several hive ideas outside, to find which one worked the best for him. I thought personally that a DARLINGTON ticked almost every box as design and style went as we cannot go up in size brood wise, why not go side ways?? John just said crap so we moved on! He started then looking at inside bee shed hives and we stopped using outside hives. But there’s no reason why they won’t work its just personal tastes.
Danants were to heavy frame wise for him to lift when full of brood, so we went smaller, commercials and langstroffs looked good but we were having problems with small ended frames and John, so we decided to get a National frame involved. A standard Carnie queen easily out grows a small nation brood box and we don’t have enough range to go up a brood box or to use 12 by 14 frames, so i tried building a side ways hive for us to use, it was basically 16 frames long with three, four frame supers on the top. These were great for everyone and we used then in most of the bee sheds, also it meant for him selling bee nucs in the spring were on standard national frames which are easy to sell onwards.

So nationals with 16 frames it was. It did mean every thing in the shed got squished up against each other but he was fine with that. And the super boxes stayed at 4 frames width so we had three supers going across and two high six per hive with three spare.
Shed wise because we were building then off the floor level we had to make a ramp up for him to use, this was roughly 4 foot wide with a platform on the top and wide enough door to open to get his chair through and the one window we had had to be able to be opened and closed via a pull chord as its out of his reach.
The one thing that made a massive difference to me when helping him is to sit in a chair and look at it from his point of view, there really is a difference in perspective on the subject. Try it the next time you try to do an inspection.

John and Pete the history and life
John and I meet in 1999 when we were both inside Warwick hospital with spinal injuries, mine was made by a Sabre tooth tiger, and his was by a drunk driver. We were both told that if our operations went wrong for one reason or another the surgeon was going to remove a section of spinal column. In my case i recovered to almost back where i started where as John got to sit down, permanently. Until we meet John had never thought of bees but because that is all i ever spoke about for the 6 months we were in the wards he was hooked and as there was no insurance money per say, he liked the idea of making some cash for him self.
We both found that there were two sorts of wheel chair users those that have given up and those that see it as a starting point. When i mean given up i referrer to the ideals that many upright people have, many ideas of what you should do and how and when to do it. Whilst these people do mean well. To some of us we found it to be a little to patronising, as such and decided to leave the “support networks” as they call them selves and just get on with our lives in our ways. “And to sod everyone else”. John as such was the most pig headed, self centred man you would have ever meet the word NO was like a red rag to a bull, just because he was not supposed to never stopped him doing any thing. He never ever saw himself has disabled ever, but found it to be very novel instead.
As he once put it “ I am better off in this chair than you( upright peter) because i can talk to a beautiful girl, smoke, and go down the centre of Birmingham and all at the time having as slash and no one notices( colostomy bags user)”
Some of the other things we got up to was doing Mount Snowden via the miners track, as it was a whimps way to wheel up the rail way line, those who know of this track will realise that the first third is down a tarmac road then another third with him dragging his self over the rock boulders to the top path whilst i had to carry the chair!! Then another third getting him self up and over a rough stone pathway, it took us 9 hours up and a train ride back down.
He had on several occasions had people thrown of a Friday London train so he could get himself and his chair onboard. (Wheel chair users also get on first and have priority over standing up people which he loved to abuse, he also went to concerts a lot as he got to be right close to the stage.
A wheel chair was not a weakness it was strength to John.
We also never went base jumping for a one day event in London, the biggest problem with that, not that we did of course, was not just getting him on to the roof as the lift finished two floors below but the fact that when you do jump, you do have to push off with your own legs to clear the building, unless of course four big bloke literary were there to give you a leg and a wing off the 15 th floor of a building site on 4am on a Sunday morning. None of which we did as it is against the law to BASE jump in the UK. But if we were to do that then he would have had a smile on his face for a month.
After every thing we did together the final flaw was also together, we both went into hospital about the same time this time with different cancers mine was Prostrate his was bone, mine was treatable and his was to aggressive. John Harrison and his bee sheds died in September 2008 leaving behind 30 widows and 6 million daughter’s ish!!

Peter you should go into writing! that was informative,witty ,poignant -it had me hooked for a good long while. Thank you - John would have been pleased!;)

I have relatively flat access to an apiary here if she wants to come across and see some bees.

I even had two wheelchair users attend a course I held here last year, with great success.

PM me if interested.

RIP John and thanks for sharing Pete.

I for one have a tear in my eye and not ashamed to tell you so.

PH

Me too. I've just read it again. I reckon John with his great big ego would've loved the effect it's had on us all! The world needs characters like that.

It does and I spent some years in my teens in a community devoted to people less able than us who are so called able?

Check out Camphill village Trust.

Walk a mile in the shoes.....

PH

fantastic post, Pete!

and a good tribute to what sounds like a great mate.

john was a great beliver in the fact that the chair was never to stop him doing any thing, except when were both clamped by a ward sister as we were using this certain coridor at night for wheel chair races and jousting with floor mops, when we woke up in the morning she had, had on of the orderlys clamp them with a proper car wheel clamp to shut us up,

the thing is we were so both drugged up on dia morphene and diazapan even if we did break some thing we would never have felt it for a week!!, ward sisters have no sence of humour at 3am, they also did not like it when we wheeled out of the cancer ward to go and get some fags from the shops either!!.. we were half way across the carpark when we were caught up with, bugger!!

Regarding the OP's question, is it still possible to get the European rear opening hives or are they a thing of the past?

Latest posts

Back