beekeeping planning permission

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eniko

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi everyone; new to the site and new to beekeeping...
We have recently purchased a small woodland adiacent to a disused quarry in the Dartmoor National park. We are thinking to start up hobby level beekeeping. Does anyone know if we need planning permission for this?
is the activity classed as recreational when is not producing any monetary income?
Advice on the matter is greatly appreciated.
Eni

I don't believe you need any planning permission to site beehives - regardless of commerciality.
Questions might arise if you were creating a Public Nuisance, but that's a very different matter!

However I suspect it would be worth contacting the authorities (Council? National Park? Who else?) before even considering putting up any sort of shed to securely house spare equipment... or "improving vehicular access" ...

Check to see if there is a covenant on the land, that will tell you what you can and cant do with the land.

Check to see if there is a covenant on the land, that will tell you what you can and cant do with the land.
This is essential. Planning permission applies to permanent structures, as bee hives are movable they are not permanent. A shed however is a different matter as is a fence. There may be a right of way through the land check this. Check the area for badgers they are very robust and determined creatures and may disrupt your plans if you put the hives on one of their regular routes. The locals usually know of paths and animals in the area. Have a nice evening in the pub and talk to the older people. The publican can usually tell you who knows about what. The prospect of some honey may well loosen tongues and get some support for the idea.

How permanent is permanent, if it's a structure that can't be moved is permanent, wooden sheds, portable toilets beehives chairs BBQ's picnic tables gazebos tents caravans cars can all be moved

Strictly speaking, any covenants would specify any things that *must* be done, and those that *must not* be done.
What you can do is unlikely to be specified! ;)

have looked into buying woodland too, and all the stuff I've read say's bees can be kept without permission
This might be a misunderstanding.
"Commercial woodland" has lots of tax advantages (like for Inheritance Tax) - but to qualify for the benefits, it must be used 'commercially' - and I don't believe that beekeeping, by itself, is sufficient to gain the tax breaks.

Strictly speaking, any covenants would specify any things that *must* be done, and those that *must not* be done.
What you can do is unlikely to be specified! ;)

This might be a misunderstanding.
"Commercial woodland" has lots of tax advantages (like for Inheritance Tax) - but to qualify for the benefits, it must be used 'commercially' - and I don't believe that beekeeping, by itself, is sufficient to gain the tax breaks.

nothing to do with tax breaks, would still manage the wood to a degree, but more for a bolt hole retreat for a day here and there, similar to the new kevin mc'cloud series, aint you seen the doomsday preppers, the world is nigh:willy_nilly:

We'll all be living in the woods soon, I'm growing my own. Just hope we don't get wiped out by an asteroid first.

nothing to do with tax breaks, would still manage the wood to a degree, but more for a bolt hole retreat for a day here and there, similar to the new kevin mc'cloud series, aint you seen the doomsday preppers, the world is nigh:willy_nilly:

My suspicion remains that what you saw was something to the effect that it needed HMRC's permission to claim that the beekeeping was being done sufficiently commercially to claim the tax breaks.
Otherwise anyone could stick a single hive in their tax shelter and claim all the tax breaks.

I suspect that what you saw was a list of activities that do count as commercial for the purposes of HMRC - rather than a list of permitted activities.

Planning permission applies to permanent structures, as bee hives are movable they are not permanent. A shed however is a different matter as is a fence.

I don't believe you need any planning permission to site beehives - regardless of commerciality.

Agree with both, and Margaret's further comments. Also check that the National Park status of Dartmoor does not mandate specific restrictions that you may fall foul of, e.g. change of use of land, establishing tracks and access, etc. Technically your bees will still be grazing on the open moorland, just like the sheep - all you are adding is a place for night shelter and rearing of young for your livestock :)

Fortunately we are past the stupidity of 4-5 years ago when the national parks etc. were advise to exclude honeybees due to their being "non-native"... any such suggestion relating to Dartmoor should be escalated to Devon BKA ASAP :)

DARTMOOR NATIONAL PARK !

Snowballs chance in hell ... but best apply to the respective National Parks Authority as onerous regulations are in place for nearly every activity going... you are not allowed to fly kites without a permit in some areas! ( or walk or camp or light fires, drive vehicles, fish, sleep overnight... or smile at ramblers in a curious way!)

Also Dartmoor is probably not in the least way the best area to keep bees ... from the advice of a very old and lifelong beekeeper who has lived most of his life in Tavistock!

Hi everyone; new to the site and new to beekeeping...
We have recently purchased a small woodland adiacent to a disused quarry in the Dartmoor National park. We are thinking to start up hobby level beekeeping. Does anyone know if we need planning permission for this?
is the activity classed as recreational when is not producing any monetary income?
Advice on the matter is greatly appreciated.
Eni

Apologies... welcome the the best place for information on beekeepering.

Seriously an apiary nearer home would be a better idea.... security is also a bit of a problem in DNP... friend had 8 new metal farm gates stolen day after he fitted then up by the barracks.. beginning with B !

Fortunately we are past the stupidity of 4-5 years ago when the national parks etc. were advise to exclude honeybees due to their being "non-native"... any such suggestion relating to Dartmoor should be escalated to Devon BKA ASAP

Would NATIVE Apis mellifera mellifera of the Cornish strain bee OK.....

OH NO not Cornish bees in Devon !

as i said in my earlier post check the covenant to see what you can do and what you cant.

as i said in my earlier post check the covenant to see what you can do and what you cant.

Bee warned Dartmoor Parks Authority, AONB, SSSI status will make things extremely difficult...
IMVLE , covenants have to be enforced and in the vast majority of cases the coventor is probably long dead... unless it is the Church.

Also if you intend to drive a vehicle anywhere other than on a public right of way open to all traffic, that has not got a Traffic Regulation or stopping up order in place, within the DNP, you will have the dreaded NERC act to deal with... even restricting use of agricultural vehicles within National Parks.

A minefield I think best avoider ( and there are a few of them too around Merrivale!)

My suspicion remains that what you saw was something to the effect that it needed HMRC's permission to claim that the beekeeping was being done sufficiently commercially to claim the tax breaks.
Otherwise anyone could stick a single hive in their tax shelter and claim all the tax breaks.

I suspect that what you saw was a list of activities that do count as commercial for the purposes of HMRC - rather than a list of permitted activities.

ok, heres the page I quoted it from, your suspicions are null and void mate, I could'ent give a $hite about tax breaks, never have never will

http://www.woodlands.co.uk/buying-a-wood/covenant/

http://www.woodlands.co.uk/buying-a-wood/covenant/............ Their "covenant"? has NO legal standing whatsoever !
maybe the word is being used outside of its legal context here?
This company is I believe nothing more than an Estate Agency?...... however, and whatever, in the context of the OP seems DNP rules and regulations.. all wrapped up in various Act of Parliament, may and probably will make any activity within the DNP difficult

Looking at the Full Mood rising over Dartmoor at this very moment.... I can see it because NO development is allowed in the ANOB to block my glorious view... beehive or any other!

ok, heres the page I quoted it from, your suspicions are null and void mate, I could'ent give a $hite about tax breaks, never have never will

http://www.woodlands.co.uk/buying-a-wood/covenant/

Umm... here's a quote from that very page

Our covenant is not intended to stop owners from engaging in any woodland-friendly activities such as beekeeping or running occasional bushcraft courses.
--- so I simply don't understand your concern. (regardless of what this covenant's legal standing might be)

Much of the literature concerning buying woodlands is specifically related to the tax advantages attached.
The most important being Business Property Relief.

I fully understand that this is not what interests you -- the point I was making is that it is what an awful lot of the literature is about.
Examples http://www.wealthprotectionreport.co.uk/public/155.cfm
http://www.butler-co.co.uk/articles/the-joy-of-woodlands-but-are-they-a-tax-efficient-invetsment.pdf
Use for commercial shooting, fishing or paintball are typically involved in getting BPR.
I think beekeeping might be a bit debatable for BPR.

But I think it is quite wrong to think that there is any general prohibition or even disincentive or any bureaucratic difficulty in keeping bees in privately-owned woodlands.
There may well be special limitations applying in National Parks, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty or Special Scientific Interest - but not in 'ordinary' woodland.

Latest posts

Back