Beekeeping Gloves

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What skin protection do you use ?

• Nothing I use my bare hands.

Votes: 64 10.3%
  • Marigold washing up gloves.

Votes: 187 30.0%
  • Thick rubber gloves.

Votes: 61 9.8%
  • Leather Gloves.

Votes: 204 32.7%
  • Leather gloves with latex over the top.

Votes: 34 5.4%
  • Surgical gloves.

Votes: 112 17.9%
  • Something else

Votes: 23 3.7%

• Total voters
Kid leather gloves with blue latex Screwfix gloves on top.

They fit really well and I reckon I can handle the frames etc just fine.

They can get you straight through the leather gloves if they are a particularly evil bunch, but the double layer of latex over leather seems to stop this.

It also prevents any sting pheremone lingering on the leather which will wind them up again next time.

This combination can get a bit hot, but I find the powered latex gloves on their own fantastically itchy and thoroughly unpleasant

I put on some soft cotton gloves first, these are ideal to mop up any sweat. Then a pair of marigolds or surgical gloves.
I wash the marigolds in washing soda to free them of propolis monthly and then hang them ALL out to dry....and I wonder why the neighbours think I'm crazy.
Next, to find a way to get rid of the sauna behind my reading glasses? Need them to see the eggs!!

I like my heavy leather gauntlets: just as well whilst one hive was queenless and grumpy with it! I have cursed the way the fingers are too long when in 'manipulation' shape. However, I've shortened the fingers (turn inside out, sew across new end position then trim off excess) and its a lot better now. Definitely easier working with castellations as you get two-bites at a frame, letting you get the excess leather out of the way!
I think I underestimated how much the gloves would stretch and this is the source of bagginess. Now waiting for a pair one size down, will have to force my hands in to start but if they stretch like the current pair then they should end up close fitting and not clumsy.
beats being stung .... though sometimes I think they cause the odd sting!

I have worn kid leather gloves since starting 2yrs ago and been stung twice through them. Once whilst inpecting the hive and the 2nd whilst doing a 'cut out' colony collection from a compost bin.
I would love to have a little more feeling however I find it is fine if you get the right size!

I find the powered latex gloves on their own fantastically itchy and thoroughly unpleasant

Its the starch powder that causes the itching,if you ever want to go latex only then go for the non powdered,harder to get on but not itchy,just be aware of latex allergy.

Kid leather with latex over. The latter, thrown away after every use, mean that the leather ones don't get dirty. And the leather ones give me confidence even when the bees are being tetchy - confidence which in my case far outweighs the arguments in favour of a better 'feel' for what I am doing.

Just bare hands after thoroughly smoking them.The bees move away when they sense the smoke smell.I don't crush bees because I can feel them under my fingers and can pick up the Queen with confidence knowing that I'm not going to crush her too.I don't get stung normally and don't react if I do.

two pairs of marrigolds if I think there is going to be trouble or it will be messy - propolis etc. Can always through the outers away then.

If I think its a normal inspection and normal risks a single pair of marigolds - but with the second pair hand if I need to add them.

Last edited:
Handling of bees!

Members after reading the posts about gloves i have come to the conclusion that combined with being concerned with being stung and possibly not good handling of manipulations are factors that have been overlooked.
If you are worried about being stung then its a certainty that it will manifest its self through your manipulation of the hive . you will be trying so hard not to make a mistake that your actions will not be smooth and genital, once you make a slight mistake it becomes a big mistake (where in actual fact its probably nothing).
Now to actual manipulations. Have it in your mind as to what you intend to do e.g. brood check for disease or find and mark the queen , look for deformities in the worker bees in the hive. Once you have a clear idea of what you are about to do then quietly go about the manipulation and you will find the method will drop into place and your bee surprised how easy it became.
Just relax and do not even think about being stung and keep to your plan of attack with the hive and bees. Please do not deviate halfway through.

Most of all enjoy these little darlings.

I hope this helps. Good luck.:svengo:

Mo

you are worried about being stung then its a certainty that it will manifest its self through your manipulation of the hive . you will be trying so hard not to make a mistake that your actions will not be smooth and genital, once you make a slight mistake it becomes a big mistake (where in actual fact its probably nothing).

Mo

Did you mean gental or "genital" bcrazy ?,enough to make my eyes water !!!

I am surprised to see the abominable leather gloves only 1 behind in the poll, surely we should be past all that nonesense?

John Wilkinson

I am surprised to see the abominable leather gloves only 1 behind in the poll, surely we should be past all that nonesense?

John Wilkinson

I think the dinosaurs have been awakened :party:

John Wilkinson

Colour me surprised, deliberately hadnt entered into this debate again as I've nothing nice to say about leather gloves and wouldn't let anyone wearing them put their hands into my colonies but seeing them at 30% is a real surprise to me.

I think Bcrazy summed up much of my thoughts on wearing wearing gloves for "protection" and probably a lot more tactfully than I'd have put it. I don't want genital action with my bees though ;)

As a new beek (blue spot on back) I went straight for the leather glove purchase, not knowing any better. However having read all the posts here I've sent off for some nitrile ones and was intending to try marigolds this weekend as part of a drone paintball session I've got planned.

As we all know it should have read gentle and not the other word.fancy being stung on that though reckon it would make tears in your eyes.

Mo

Hmm........ so as well as being ignorant I am a dinosaur too.

Such is life.

I use leather gloves and believe me I very much doubt that my queenless colonies could have been handled with out them this last week. Even worse their flow dried up.

Let's not be so precious here. There are times when armour comes in a bit handy.

And before you put your fingers to the keys I killed off the worst of the queens. No way would I sell them on.

PH

.fancy being stung on that though reckon it would make tears in your eyes.

Mo

My old boss always used to say to me, "Never put your fingers where you would not put your ****"

Very true in the indusry I work in, and many things in life.

Latest posts

Back