Beekeeping Gloves

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What skin protection do you use ?

• Nothing I use my bare hands.

Votes: 64 10.3%
  • Marigold washing up gloves.

Votes: 187 30.0%
  • Thick rubber gloves.

Votes: 61 9.8%
  • Leather Gloves.

Votes: 204 32.7%
  • Leather gloves with latex over the top.

Votes: 34 5.4%
  • Surgical gloves.

Votes: 112 17.9%
  • Something else

Votes: 23 3.7%

• Total voters
I am not interested in lack of sensitivity, nor are my bees.

That says it all. No wonder your bees sting you.

Next year as an association we are seriously contemplating putting all our beginners in thin nitrile gloves and putting all other gloves, both the leather ones and the marigold ones beyond normal use.

We will almost certainly end up with much better beekeepers as a result.

Then the year after we are going for no gloves, the year after no all enclosing suit, the year after no clothes at all except a veil and wellies.

> the year after no clothes at all except a veil and wellies.

Year 4 should be entertaining.

That says it all. No wonder your bees sting you.

Next year as an association we are seriously contemplating putting all our beginners in thin nitrile gloves and putting all other gloves, both the leather ones and the marigold ones beyond normal use.

We will almost certainly end up with much better beekeepers as a result.

Then the year after we are going for no gloves, the year after no all enclosing suit, the year after no clothes at all except a veil and wellies.

Don't we already have a naked beekeeper on here? Creating lots more lol. Be interesting where the bees concentrate their stings ;) lol

Looking at the poll so far suggests to me that the influence of newbies is abundantly clear :willy_nilly:

John Wilkinson

My colonies are still a bit of a mixed bunch as far as temperament at the moment and I use the following:

Kid gloves with latex over top (latex for one use only, apiary hygiene) for the more "enthusiastic" colonies.

Latex gloves only or bare hands on the calmer "home' colonies.

Although this all varies dependant on local conditions at the time, if I know the home bees are going to be wound up before I even start, then I adjust what I wear accordingly.

If I go to the ASBO bees (an isolated colony that is undergoing temperament management:smash:), then it is armour plating.

If I go to the ASBO bees (an isolated colony that is undergoing temperament management:smash:), then it is armour plating.
Life's too short :bigear:
Coup de gras would be my defence armour plating to warm and cumbersome :leaving:

John Wilkinson

I am very new to bee keeping and yesterday got stung about 10 times on each hand through two pairs of not very adequate gloves. At first I was ok but by the middle of the night both my hands had swollen up like baloons and were agony. I have felt ill snd sore and shivery all day my hands are still swollen and now extremely itchy. I still want to keep bees and will have to look for some extermely bee proof gloves before I go near them again.

10 stings in each hand should tell you something is wrong !
Either with the bees or your handing technique ,or prevailing conditions (inappropriate weather and or time of day)
Even Queenless bees shouldn't be so aggressive !.
The more distance you put between yourself and the bees , the more aggressive traits it will foster, resulting in some innocent person/animal getting badly stung !
By keeping protective gear to a minimum, you will quickly realise when a colony is displaying unwanted behaviour ; behaviour that needs stamping out , for if unchecked it can result in all colonies in the apiary and beyond becoming badly effected.
Please don't think I'm being over critical , see it as constructive criticism.
Remember, beekeeping should be a happy relaxing pursuit , not the one hundred years war :)

John Wilkinson

Believe me I realise something was wrong and it was down to my total inexperience despite having done my peliminary beekeeping course. I have had a lot of helpfull advice from this forum and will definitly be looking into the hive next week at a more sensible time and weather permitting. I really want to be a good and responsible bee keeper. I want to do what is best for these wee creatures first and foremost. But I cant afford to have another day like today with being ill and sore. So gloves will be a priority. I need to join an association and learn as much as I can. I have a tone of questions which need answered and although you can get the answers in books its good to see practical examples.

M100?

Sorry to say but you are in cloud cuckoo land. It's ridiculous to take that line and far from fair to your pupils.

In an "ideal world" yes: sorry but bees do not behave that way, ideally that is.

The best bee handler I ever met, as soon as the public were out of sight put on his gloves. As do I.

PH

Poly I usually agree with you, but this time mostly I agree with M100. So long as colonies are gentle, it is much better to learn with thin or no gloves... although you can't force adult learners to do this... it has to be a choice for them. I have no objections to pupils wearing whatever they like on their bodies though... I am only going to let them touch the colonies with their hands, so it is their hands that may squash the bees.....and I want them to be especially careful with.

.....oh my, I hadn't though that perhaps M100 is planning to let the pupils put other body parts into his hives

Aye well............. I agree too as long as the colonies are gentle.

No offence but you are in the south and have a softer climate and less AMM influence and a majority of imported quiet bees.

However I post (or try to) in general terms and bees in the UK (ALL of the UK not Engerland) are mostly mongerels and the temperment of them is dubious at best and down right vicious at best.

If you hve never had 500 stings in an hour sorry to say you have not encountered the far right of the average bell curve of temperment. Yes I have. Yes she was got rid of.

Yes bees like that exist, more often than you might think.

And so I post to encompass those bees, as to be blunt they are the most likely bees for beginners to encounter, not that dangerous yes, but stingy none the less.

In contrast I have me line bred bees in Germany which were awesome....... mini nucs perched on the shared wall........... other side the primary school.

Try persuading the local PTA that that is a good idea in the UK.

PH

Yes I have got more than 500 stings once... it was mostly my fault - I dropped a box of bees and at that time didn't own a proper bee suit. They weren't really that bad tempered bees either, and anyone can have an accident like that. It would have been touch and go if I hadn't got to hospital fast. I now wear a Sheriff and if I doing something particularly tricky, get a bee buddy to help too.

Even nice bees can sting badly.

Susan

Have you taken anti histamine pills? If not , do so.

I use Boots ones.. cheap but effective.

Leather welding gloves bought from Tool Station cost less than Four pounds,
arm cover but not tight cuff:

Yes I have got more than 500 stings once... it was mostly my fault - I dropped a box of bees and at that time didn't own a proper bee suit. They weren't really that bad tempered bees either, and anyone can have an accident like that. It would have been touch and go if I hadn't got to hospital fast. I now wear a Sheriff and if I doing something particularly tricky, get a bee buddy to help too.

Even nice bees can sting badly.

Well if you drop a box of bees you have to expect something like that.

It also proves that you have what it takes to carry on. Lots of people would have given up after a pasting like that.

:)

Leather welding gloves bought from Tool Station cost less than Four pounds,
arm cover but not tight cuff:

Welding gloves? How in heaven's name do you lift a frame wearing welding gloves? Assuming you mean the enormous leather welding gloves we use for handling barbed wire for stock fencing...

leather welding gloves we use for handling barbed wire

No, welding gloves are a bit more supple than the ones you are thinking of!

Regards, RAB

Gloves for plasma cutting (very thin leather) are (I think) better than the Thornes kid leather gloves. They smell "leathery", so they may not be a good idea for the bees.

I wear leather gloves and wash them every other time I use them.I then saddle soap them. It only takes five minutes to wash and soap. Should last me yaers and as they fit no problem while doing the bees.

I think the biggest problem with leather gloves is the build up on them making them sticky.

Stand back,:sport-smiley-002: ready for a kicking. I know you lot hate them (well 60%).

Pete

Back