Beekeeping Gloves

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What skin protection do you use ?

• Nothing I use my bare hands.

Votes: 64 10.3%
  • Marigold washing up gloves.

Votes: 187 30.0%
  • Thick rubber gloves.

Votes: 61 9.8%
  • Leather Gloves.

Votes: 204 32.7%
  • Leather gloves with latex over the top.

Votes: 34 5.4%
  • Surgical gloves.

Votes: 112 17.9%
  • Something else

Votes: 23 3.7%

• Total voters
I think the biggest problem with leather gloves is the build up on them making them sticky.

I agree. I use goatskin gloves and have no handling issues but they do get a build up on them.
What do you wash them in that will remove propolis? Honey and syrup residue comes off ok with water and I believe there are no phermone issues as in 4 years I've never yet received a sting on them. However they do look grubby as the fingers are stained brown with propolis.

Last edited:
I think the biggest problem with leather gloves is the build up on them making them sticky.

I agree. I use goatskin gloves and have no handling issues but they do get a build up on them.
What do you wash them in that will remove propolis? Honey and syrup residue comes off ok with water and I believe there are no phermone issues as in 4 years I've never yet received a sting on them. However they do look grubby as the fingers are stained brown with propolis.

Hi
I use the mechanic soap from work. Its one of the gritty types. I wash them with the gloves on as if I was washing my hands. It get 99% of the proppolis off and stops them being sticky.

Pete

I use marigolds with the fingers cut off to the first knuckle. I find that I don't get stung through the gloves and removing the finger tips meant that I don't get gloves sticking to the frames and jarring the bees all the time. I get stung on average once every other week. I have a 2nd pair of marigolds on standby with fingertips intact in case I come to a hive and find it's acting unusually aggressive, I can take the out of my pocket and put them on, not had a need for them yet though.

Gloves and Bees

Generally, if it's sunny outside, the bees in my hive are calm, and you can use nothing, or thin nitrile gloves. It's worth pointing out that nitrile is 3x more puncture resistant than latex, so nitrile offers more protection.

If it's cloudy (and rain is due in a few hours time), then leather gloves are a must. However, rather than using them on their own, put a nitrile glove over the top. That way, any propolis goes on the nitrile gloves and does not ruin the leather.

Afterwards, you could clean the nitrile gloves with methylated spirits. That won't get rid of all of the propolis, but enough so that the fingers don't stick to each other.

Nitrile Gloves

What thickness glove do you use?

Iv just changed from lether because the end of the thum kept getting cought under the frames i now use cergical gloves ( whitch are about 30 years old so dont no what they are made of) under marigolds find i can feel more but it doesnt half get sticky in there

I always use my barehands (that is the way I was taught) but I always carry a pair of Surgical Gloves and leather gardening gloves with me incase I need them

Hi I have been using marigolds with a marigold cotton liner this controls the sweat.
Blue nitrite long cuff NT14B PF XL9. (XL9 largest)
Cotton seamless Monofil 1 2F1303400. ( largest )
All made by Marigold but they do not sell direct, shop around prices vary a lot, Marigolds web site is very informative just type in the numbers.
I wash the cotton glove's after use to stop them smelling, the nitrites I use only once for manipulation and save them for other task's.

John bee-smillie

i use marigolds and always thought that i should be barehanded as its says in more than one book i've read and also the guy who first taught me. Feel better about using them now that loads of others wear gloves. I still get stung through them sometimes tho

Grandad never used gloves,,, he occasionally got a sting and he always said it was his own fault................ he never had "arthur''''ritis" tho!

I take after my Grandad!

Unfortunately, with my nasties, I need to wear gloves. If not, I would come out of an inspection with hands full of stings!!!

BTW, Where you been recently icanhopit? Haven't seen you in ages...

Ben P

I normally use long-cuff nitrile gloves. They are by no means sting proof but give enough protection to ensure that you can handle your bees with confidence. I reckon I only got about 5 stings in total last year.
I have never got on with leather or kid gloves - it's like trying to pick up a frame wearing boxing gloves!

I use some I bought of flee bay leather gauntlets but I dont like them, very clumsy, I am tempted to try nitrile and marigolds this year as I use nitrile at work, (paint sprayer)

I normally use long-cuff nitrile gloves. They are by no means sting proof but give enough protection to ensure that you can handle your bees with confidence. I reckon I only got about 5 stings in total last year.
I have never got on with leather or kid gloves - it's like trying to pick up a frame wearing boxing gloves!

I get mine from Paynes ...
http://www.paynesbeefarm.co.uk/store/Long-Cuff-Nitrile-Gloves-box-of-50-p-16679.html
Anyone know of anywhere cheaper?

Latest posts

Back