Gloves and Smoker recommendations

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The main negative with all these gloves is that I have to carry lots of pairs because my hands sweat like crazy when I'm wearing them. Even the flocked ones don't help. It's particularly unpleasant if you need to raise an arm and find a load of sweat running out of your glove down to your armpit :(

James
I use the TouchNTuff 92-605 Disposable Nitrile Gloves.
I have a similar problem of sweaty hands but find wearing cotton stockinet gloves (not the moisturising type) underneath helps soak the sweat up and makes them easier to put on.
Gloves
Simon

Waitrose version of marigolds are really good and last a long time.
Interesting fact - one of the backing singers for the Lithuanian Eurovision entry works in our local Waitrose.
Before I get abuse Mrs H normally frequents Aldi or Lidl.

Dadant is worth every penny

Tesco do 'marigold gloves
'
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-...q2_r71RQdT0aOwQxy_BoCCXAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

they are black which is supposed to be bad but I have never had an issue with them. I have a pair of canvas gaiters that were around £6 if my sleeves creep up (I have arms like a chimp) , but could have fabricated them myself for close to nothing. Used this setup to clear a chaps wasp nest where they were insanely aggressive, not a single sting and still have quite good dexterity for fiddly task, also easy to clean in my soda bucket between hives.

I use the £2 a pair ones from B&M have a very thin fleece lining have never been stung through them and brilliant feel

I went to do an inspection today and couldn’t find my leather gauntlets so used some rubber washing up gloves (Tesco own brand, not Marigolds) with nitrile gloves on top and they were perfect - easy to manipulate the frames and the bees didn’t seem to mind them - no stings or distress. I would recommend!

Just resurrected this thread as I had to buy a new pack of disposable gloves .. I like the Ansell 900-605 long cuff Touch n Tuff gloves but they have gone up (as have all disposable and rubber gloves) dramatically in price...

I like these as they do last a long time are pretty much sting proof, have long cuffs and they double up for those dirty jobs around the house and garden without disintegrating at the first contact with anything hard or sharp.

I finally found them on ebay, including postage, at £15.75 for a hundred. The average price now seems to be between £23 and £28 which is exhorbitant (although the Yorkshireman in me sometimes clouds my judgement and my wallet !).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183767988887?var=691370278192

Just resurrected this thread as I had to buy a new pack of disposable gloves .. I like the Ansell 900-605 long cuff Touch n Tuff gloves but they have gone up (as have all disposable and rubber gloves) dramatically in price...

I like these as they do last a long time are pretty much sting proof, have long cuffs and they double up for those dirty jobs around the house and garden without disintegrating at the first contact with anything hard or sharp.

I finally found them on ebay, including postage, at £15.75 for a hundred. The average price now seems to be between £23 and £28 which is exhorbitant (although the Yorkshireman in me sometimes clouds my judgement and my wallet !).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183767988887?var=691370278192

A timely post. I was just thinking that I should order some more gloves.

James

I insist we all use Gruffs orange nitrile gloves as they are robust enough to go through the washing machine & the fit is really good.
I've had some gloves that have survived three wash's.

This was discussed when I attended the DASH Course and the NBU approved washing the gloves as long as there had been no foul brood contact.
It's not only Yorkshiremen that are tight.

I'll second the use of a Dadant smoker, each staff member has been issued one & they are to guard with their life.

There is a new one from Murray in the workshop which I gave to the apprentice, who then swapped it for my own !!!.

I bought a box of black nitriles during Covid when gloves were really scarce and I couldn't get the blue ones. I found that bees were really going for my hands so swapped back as soon as I could get them.
Yes, bees don't like black gloves.
Also, a few years ago I was asked by a lady beekeeper to help trickle oxalic acid midwinter. She was wearing fleece gloves. The bees were enraged and her gloves became covered with ferocious bees.

Perhaps there's an opening in the market for a perfume with a pheromone component that makes bees feel calm and relaxed :) I've certainly got a couple of colonies where I'd "splash it all over".

James
Avon Skin So Soft (Original) works for me. (Bare hands)
Deters bees and keeps my hands soft and clean.

My £15 ebay smoker is now 15 years old. Mind you it ls rather repaired... and modified with a wooden base wired to it so I can place it safely on poly hive roofs..

Latest posts

Back