Beekeeping Bag

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the normal type of inspections I use a builders bucket. Extra frames etc usually traven to where I need them in deep BBs or supers.

I use a plastic tool box with an inner tray which is big enough for hive tool(s), gas lighter, queen cage, uncapping fork, box of drawing pins, matches, screwdriver and small magnifying glass.
The bottom bit of the box contains the stuff I'm less likely to need such as mouseguards, spare entrance block, notebook, spacers, white pillowcase to cover frames if the bees get feisty.

For the normal type of inspections I use a builders bucket. Extra frames etc usually traven to where I need them in deep BBs or supers.
:iagree: simple, cheap, easily washed.

i use the back of my truck.
i'm not that organised i have all of the stuff in a large plastic container.
when i get more hives as all of mine are at out apiaries i can see a trailer appearing lol.
it's going to be a pain when i have to start taking supers and frames with me.

i use the back of my truck.
i'm not that organised i have all of the stuff in a large plastic container.
when i get more hives as all of mine are at out apiaries i can see a trailer appearing lol.
it's going to be a pain when i have to start taking supers and frames with me.

It's a pain for me, mine are at an out apiary and I only have a 2-seater car with quite a small boot!

Driving down there with a 3 gallon bucket of syrup sloshing around in the passenger footwell is a good way of ensuring I don't corner too hard :)

Driving down there with a 3 gallon bucket of syrup sloshing around in the passenger footwell is a good way of ensuring I don't corner too hard :)
One advantage of Ambrosia that's rarely mentioned is that it comes in a really useful container. If you bought one separately to hold your home made sugar syrup it would be at least a tenner from a camping shop and it wouldn't stack.

One advantage of Ambrosia that's rarely mentioned is that it comes in a really useful container. If you bought one separately to hold your home made sugar syrup it would be at least a tenner from a camping shop and it wouldn't stack.

Luckily I already had one from my winemaking days :)

Driving down there with a 3 gallon bucket of syrup sloshing around in the passenger footwell is a good way of ensuring I don't corner too hard

i use a container that used to have horse food in .the lid is good it seals even if the thing falls over.

could get more interesting as i expand though. the farmer wants me to have about 20 hives lol but it could get to be a pain as he wants them in different sites and i'm not sure i want to take it that far yet.
he is asking me about putting one hive in an orchard he has but that is another 2 miles from my current site.
his son wants bees on his farm thats another 5 miles away it could get to a point where i'm using too much fuel.

I grab what I need out of the shed and kinda juggle my way to the hives only to return a couple of times because I've forgotten something.

Many thanks for everyone's input. I shall be heading for B&Q in the first instance, I think, to see what they have got!

As promised two photos of my box I made after seeing a similar one in the boot of MuswellMetros car a few years ago now.

Its very simple made from 6mm ply but made strong by the triangular corner blocks and as a result light when empty.

It is basically a lightweight 14x12 5 frame nuc that will also double as swarm collecting box, it has two large holes in the base covered with mesh and the base slightly raised off the ground. There is space for a spare frame and dummy board, the tray holds all the small bits and below all the big bits.

I dont know if its because I am a joiner and have a good friend in my tool box but I just love that box as it has made beekeeping that bit easier this past four years.

I use one of the Stanley tool bags from B&Q. I can carry most things I need
S

:iagree:

I have one of these too. It has a shoulder strap, so I can carry it at the same time as an armful of other bits and pieces. Useful pockets to keep bits and pieces, and internal webbing straps so that some of the other stuff doesn't get hopelessly lost in the bottom of the bag. There's a useful metal bit on one end that just fits to hold a j-shaped hive tool. It's long enough to fit in e.g. entrance blocks, and if you're really organised, you can dangle a smoker off the top carrying bar, or the shoulder strap.

I also have an old landrover, for when the bag isn't quite big enough...:rolleyes:

LJ

Brilliant idea Tom/muswell I was going to ask about a strap but that's sorted now .

:iagree:

I have one of these too. It has a shoulder strap, so I can carry it at the same time as an armful of other bits and pieces. Useful pockets to keep bits and pieces, and internal webbing straps so that some of the other stuff doesn't get hopelessly lost in the bottom of the bag. There's a useful metal bit on one end that just fits to hold a j-shaped hive tool. It's long enough to fit in e.g. entrance blocks, and if you're really organised, you can dangle a smoker off the top carrying bar, or the shoulder strap.

I also have an old landrover, for when the bag isn't quite big enough...:rolleyes:

LJ

Do you carry the Land Rover on a strap, too, or has that got wheels? You know, like a suitcase...

@Tom ... I like that box ... I will definitely be making one ... however, mine (on past experience) will be so bloody heavy ... even when empty ... that I will need a train of Sherpas to carry it to the hive ... it will also, probably, be big enough to live in ...

Seriously, it's a great bit of versatile kit ... I'm not a fan of shoulder straps but I think a couple of hive clips to keep the 'roof' on and a carry handle on the top would be my ideal.

@ hive clips to keep the 'roof' on and a carry handle on the top would be my ideal.

Thats exactly what a friend did with his and it works well but not as comfortable if you need to sit on it :eek:

The strap handle on my box is only short just enough to slip past the lid but makes carrying easy

As promised two photos of my box I made after seeing a similar one in the boot of MuswellMetros car a few years ago now.

Its very simple made from 6mm ply but made strong by the triangular corner blocks and as a result light when empty.

It is basically a lightweight 14x12 5 frame nuc that will also double as swarm collecting box, it has two large holes in the base covered with mesh and the base slightly raised off the ground. There is space for a spare frame and dummy board, the tray holds all the small bits and below all the big bits.

I dont know if its because I am a joiner and have a good friend in my tool box but I just love that box as it has made beekeeping that bit easier this past four years.

Imitated! (Or will be, over the winter...)

Back