Beekeeping Bag

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats exactly what a friend did with his and it works well but not as comfortable if you need to sit on it :eek:

The strap handle on my box is only short just enough to slip past the lid but makes carrying easy

You see ... now you've done it ... Mine now has legs to make it a comfortable sitting height ... a recessed handle and a foam seat ... with a cradle for my coffee cup in the morning and a glass holder for the G&T in the afternoon ... now you can see why my stuff is so heavy ... perhaps it will HAVE to be 14x12 size not a nuc as that is going to be so much better for my fat a..se ! :hairpull::hairpull:

Hi all,
I am endeavouring to become a bit more organised with my beekeeping regalia and other essentials particularly since one has to 'bring it all' for the Basic Assessment. I would not want to be faffing around more than necessary searching for things at the bottom of the bag. Does anyone know if there is a particular 'trade's bag' which would be suitable for the purpose of bee inspections?

Important point.

DON'T "bring it all" for the exam.
Just take the things that you need for doing a standard inspection (and taking a sample of bees for disease testing).

What you keep in your Land Rover-sized wheeliebin for real work is NOT what you should take to the exam.
Think uncluttered.
See what you can leave out.
Minimise without leaving out essentials for the routine.
You won't be expected to be tooled up for Q marking, frame repair, etc ...

Take a totally separate box with your frame-building stuff. And practice using ONLY the stuff in the box. (Hint: include tools for extracting bent nails!)

Make check lists for what should be in each box!

And a third box with smoker fuel and lighting stuff (I love my cooks blowtorch) helps keep the other two focussed on their particular separate roles!

Important point.

DON'T "bring it all" for the exam.
Just take the things that you need for doing a standard inspection (and taking a sample of bees for disease testing).

What you keep in your Land Rover-sized wheeliebin for real work is NOT what you should take to the exam.
Think uncluttered.
See what you can leave out.
Minimise without leaving out essentials for the routine.
You won't be expected to be tooled up for Q marking, frame repair, etc ...

Take a totally separate box with your frame-building stuff. And practice using ONLY the stuff in the box. (Hint: include tools for extracting bent nails!)

Make check lists for what should be in each box!

And a third box with smoker fuel and lighting stuff (I love my cooks blowtorch) helps keep the other two focussed on their particular separate roles!

Hi itma,
Helpful as always. I shall have two boxes i.e. come prepared for anything! Say, if I did have to mark a queen, I would prefer the tool I am used to working with rather than the assessors! One story I was told was that someone had to deal with collecting a swarm and in the process got bitten by a pig! In that situation I would have refused to deal with the swarm until the farmer had put his pigs away for Health and Safety reasons (I never thought I utter those words). Surely, I could not have been failed for that.

Thats exactly what a friend did with his and it works well but not as comfortable if you need to sit on it

The strap handle on my box is only short just enough to slip past the lid but makes carrying easy
That looks so well thought out, I'm thinking of building one. Although I do like the builders bucket as the transport of choice around the allotment, and I like a handle.

What I might do is adapt one of my existing nuc boxes with a strap/handle and maybe a lightweight lid/cover board. They're a bit heavier (12mm ply) but would be a good way of carrying a frame or two and an insert tray of tools without needing both hands.

Say, if I did have to mark a queen, I would prefer the tool I am used to working with rather than the assessors!

Queen marking is not part of the syllabus, so is not something you should expect to be asked to do. Read the syllabus, it's online. There are also quite a few blogs with fairly up to date information about the Basic Assessment.

One thing they're quite hot on is apiary hygiene and disease transfer, so make sure your kit is clean.

... I shall have two boxes i.e. come prepared for anything! Say, if I did have to mark a queen, I would prefer the tool I am used to working with rather than the assessors! One story I was told was that someone had to deal with collecting a swarm and in the process got bitten by a pig! In that situation I would have refused to deal with the swarm until the farmer had put his pigs away for Health and Safety reasons (I never thought I utter those words). Surely, I could not have been failed for that.

Steady on - this is "The Basic" - and it is pretty basic.

Practical queen marking and swarm-taking are not in the syllabus.
Take a look at the BBKA website, under 'Learn' then 'Examinations'
Download the syllabus and see exactly what they are expecting you to do.
Manipulation. Practical Assessment of the Candidate’s ability to handle bees and beekeeping equipment and the ability to interpret what is observed. The requirements for this part of the Assessment are set out in Part 1 of the Syllabus.
Pig-handling is not included.
But setting down your hive tool (not explicitly mentioned, just expected) is a straight fail. You have been warned! :)

Whichever bag/box you choose, best of luck with the BA, Beeno

Whichever bag/box you choose, best of luck with the BA, Beeno

Got the BA with honours, but Basic Assessment might be trickier! I am sure it will be OK, but it is better to over cook rather than under cook in this instance from what I have heard.
Well, you know women and their handbags. This bag is much more importante! Thanks for the good wishes.

Steady on - this is "The Basic" - and it is pretty basic.

Practical queen marking and swarm-taking are not in the syllabus.
Take a look at the BBKA website, under 'Learn' then 'Examinations'
Download the syllabus and see exactly what they are expecting you to do.

Pig-handling is not included.
But setting down your hive tool (not explicitly mentioned, just expected) is a straight fail. You have been warned! :)

For practical reasons it can't be in the syllabus, but if you are 'lucky enough' and one turns up! In the spirit of beekeeping and being a swarm collector at least of your own bees, nuisance element to neighbours, or on the BBKA website as an official swarm collector you could hardly refuse?

That looks so well thought out, I'm thinking of building one. Although I do like the builders bucket as the transport of choice around the allotment, and I like a handle.

What I might do is adapt one of my existing nuc boxes with a strap/handle and maybe a lightweight lid/cover board. They're a bit heavier (12mm ply) but would be a good way of carrying a frame or two and an insert tray of tools without needing both hands.

Go for it Allan you are not a million miles from me so if you need any materials cut just drop me a pm.

The good old builders bucket another example of another under used natural resource like pallets.

When I started I bought a small 1.5 ft - plastic box with layers that lever out as you open it and put everything suggested on here, carefully marked with name and use (just in case) in it. 4 yrs later? A Queen cage in one pocket, a lump of blue tack, hive tool and smoker and off I go...If I need anything else I yell at Cliff to 'grab *** from the shed - QUICK!...

When I started I bought a small 1.5 ft - plastic box with layers that lever out as you open it and put everything suggested on here, carefully marked with name and use (just in case) in it. 4 yrs later? A Queen cage in one pocket, a lump of blue tack, hive tool and smoker and off I go...If I need anything else I yell at Cliff to 'grab *** from the shed - QUICK!...

Would that be something like:- Oh "Cliffy darling" would you mind awfully getting me the smoker fuel- Or Oi Cliff get me the smoker fuel Now!!! the answer will give a clue as to how long you have been married to each other:laughing-smiley-004

Would that be something like:- Oh "Cliffy darling" would you mind awfully getting me the smoker fuel- Or Oi Cliff get me the smoker fuel Now!!! the answer will give a clue as to how long you have been married to each other:laughing-smiley-004

When they have been married for long enough there will be no need for words..

Oi Cliff get me the smoker fuel Now!!!

Oh so true - are you really my neighbour?? 28yrs yesterday...luckily he is used to my bad manners and screaming...everyone else quite likes me ;)

No Queeny, not your neighbor, I have only been to Devon once 9 years ago, and Happy aniversary ( I Hope!)

Latest posts

Back