Bee sting desensitisation course

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
they did the same for me DrS. I think the reason is that they have your blood already it goes to the same place and im sure it works out better value maybe as it increases the amount of tests they do so reduces the price maybe.

Week 13

Had my injection today. 0.8ml looks a lot in a syringe, and feels a lot when injected.

My arm is ok this evening, no swelling or itching but it is hot to the touch in the area that was injected. My face though felt hot and flushed all day and felt a little swollen, I also got out of breath very easily when walking up stairs or speaking for to long. The amount was equal to 1.75 stings so it shows that im not quite there yet. Will have a chat next Wednesday with them and see if it will be my last weekly one still.

Heres hoping.

Week 14

Yay made it, last of the weekly ones.

Injection equivalent to 2 stings, 1ml of liquid going into the skin bloomin hurts. Felt a little sore for a few mins but not to bad after that. No hot flushes today, arm is very slightly swollen and the area of where I was injected had a very small spiders web of redness. No itching, the arm and top of my back aches a little this evening but that could be due to digging in the polytunnel with the kids today, not done much digging since last summer.

Next appointment 15th may.

You have every right to feel a sense of achievement, given the difficulties along the way... but I bet the really big grin was after that first real sting when nothing much happened!

Somehow the idea of an injection equalling 2 stings, is worse than 2 actual stings...
:eek:

You have every right to feel a sense of achievement, given the difficulties along the way... but I bet the really big grin was after that first real sting when nothing much happened!

Oh yes very much so.

Somehow the idea of an injection equalling 2 stings, is worse than 2 actual stings...
:eek:

You have no idea, its good that stings lower blood pressure not raise it, mine would have burst the machine and my blood vessels it was that high. haha

update for this week.

no more swelling this week and very little itching. :sunning:

I'm starting my course this week

Had a call this morning (Tuesday) from the allergy clinic at the Royal Surrey Hospital - Can I join the program this Thursday! So, my three year journey of regular bee venom injections starts today...

In looking at the recent press, bee venom seems to be a very good thing for wrinkles and ageing - Perhaps there will be some beneficial side effects!

Well, after getting all worked up about the possibility of being allergic to bees due to my other allergies, it seems I'm not allergic to them at all. I've been stung twice in the last 48 hours (both times my own fault, but novice mistakes), and had what I've been told is actually very mild to most peoples normal reactions. I had a bit of localised redness and tenderness afterwards, but both cleared up in a couple of hours and I was even able to continue working the hive after rinsing some cold water over my hand where it was stung, right on the underside of my knuckle.

Had a call this morning (Tuesday) from the allergy clinic at the Royal Surrey Hospital - Can I join the program this Thursday! So, my three year journey of regular bee venom injections starts today...

In looking at the recent press, bee venom seems to be a very good thing for wrinkles and ageing - Perhaps there will be some beneficial side effects!

Fantastic news simon.

keep us informed of how it goes.

DP

Are you now happily back into beekeeping and sanguine about being stung?

(I've missed your final posts)

richard

Yep Richard.

I didn't stop beekeeping other than the fact I was lucky my initial course of injections was during the winter. I have only had one sting so far this season, which is good for me.

I have my first 4weekly injection tomorrow so will see how that goes as its the equivalent to 2 stings and have had 4 weeks gap since the last injection. I will have my eppi pen at the ready just incase.

Had my first 4weekly injection today.

The injection is equivalent to 2 normal bee stings, the area around the injection hurt for about 30mins after and by the time I got to work had stopped hurting. I had a quick look in the mirror and there was a small red mark about 1cm across.

since then the red mark has gone down, there has been no swelling and no itching. I am absolutely amazed at how little my body is reacting to the injections now.

Mind you I will still always carry my eppi pen just incase.

Latest update

I haven't posted to the thread last month as there was nothing to tell.

today I went to the hospital and had my injection. you never get used to the needle going in, always an ouch moment lol.

But fantastic, utterly no reaction, no red mark, no itching, no swelling. Im utterly amazed its gone so well.

Just one annoying thing, not been stung by my bees since april so not tested it out in the field, the damn bees are just to layed back this year with the nice weather, I think I might have to force a sting.

That's good news :)

Just one annoying thing, not been stung by my bees since april so not tested it out in the field, the damn bees are just to layed back this year with the nice weather, I think I might have to force a sting.
If I'd known I could have sent you the little blighter that stung me on the thumb the other day. Arm still swollen, a bit like a Michelin advert!

Started mine on Tuesday - two injections, one in each arm half an hour apart. A tiny dose 0.02 ml - no adverse reaction, just itched like mad for a day or so!

Same dose to look forward to next Tuesday.

Again - thanks to DPearce for the inspiration. :thanks:

Great news.

Had my first sting since april yesterday.

Got stung on the fleshy bit between my thumb and first finger on the back of my hand. felt the stinger go in thro my glove, so knocked it out with my hive tool, stung for a little while maybe 10mins. Removed my glove at the end of working that apiray and had a look, there was a red mark that looked no more than if i had been stung by a stinging nettle, about 5mm round and a little red.

Drove up to my other apiary didnt think much about it during the drive, and when i got there not much change. The sting itched a little when i got home about 1hr later but not enough that made me want to scratch it.

This morning nothing, just a very little red mark where the stin was puntured, but no itch or swelling.

if it carrys on like this i might be able to go beekeeping without gloves in the future. so impressed at the results of the treatment.

Your more than welcome to come and see my little darlings, they gave me a good kicking yesterday and I didn't even get to the brood box before I'd took 8 stings so closed up and was chased off to think again.

Evil little gits I've never seen such nasty bee's

Glad its working out for you Doug. If I ever need the treatment you'll be the one I call for advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back