Bee sting desensitisation course

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Week 12

The course really seems to be working, I had the injection today and had an itchy arm on and off all day but no swelling at all.

the injection today was the equivalent to 1.4 stings. so im really pleased. just 2 more weekly injections then its monthly.

Mind you had an appointment with a GP today and to show how poor the nhs is he didn't even know it was possible to have the course im on. sounds like there needs to be a push to let them know, as it is helping me continue to keep bees.

Very pleased indeed to hear of your progress, dpearce4?

It's great to have your updates, so that others who might be in the same boat, can follow your example and be encouraged by it.

Keep on rockin'.

Dusty

looking forward to being able to handle my bees this year without the fear of last year. That's if its ever warm enough to go thro them that is.

Very pleased indeed to hear of your progress, dpearce4?

It's great to have your updates, so that others who might be in the same boat, can follow your example and be encouraged by it.

Keep on rockin'.

Dusty

:iagree:
Thanks for continuing with the updates, DP4 :)

haha not this week its hols.

That's good progress, and a rather astonishing improvement.

Glad to hear its going well DP.

Your weekly appointments, do they have to be on the same day each week? And do they recommend you take someone with you?

"sounds like there needs to be a push to let them know, as it is helping me continue to keep bees."

of course the NHS doesn't actually exist simply to pander to the desires of the populace wrt their hobbies.

sure beeks are more likely to discover they are allergic to stings than the general population BUT the treatment is there to protect you from a general life threatening risk.

Glad to hear its going well DP.

Your weekly appointments, do they have to be on the same day each week? And do they recommend you take someone with you?

Hiya freethorpe

yep the appointments are always on a Wednesday and it is bee, wasp and pollen allergy people all there at the same time.

the wasp is similar to bees in the way it runs, the pollen depends on how many types of pollen your allergic to, but run for 7weeks in the spring for 3 years. We all turn up and wait in a queue the injection takes 1 or 2 mins and then you go and sit for 30mins in the waiting room. You are not expected to have anyone with you and its not really needed.

This weeks update.

I woke up this morning to a small swelling on the arm where I was injected, a little sore and itchy. But its going down already.

Hiya freethorpe

yep the appointments are always on a Wednesday and it is bee, wasp and pollen allergy people all there at the same time.

the wasp is similar to bees in the way it runs, the pollen depends on how many types of pollen your allergic to, but run for 7weeks in the spring for 3 years. We all turn up and wait in a queue the injection takes 1 or 2 mins and then you go and sit for 30mins in the waiting room. You are not expected to have anyone with you and its not really needed.

Thank you for the info. I keep umming and aahing about making the trip to Addenbrookes for the course (beesting allergy). It will be difficult to do it as it is quite a journey and I work. Might have a word with my boss to see if it's possible to get the time off. Would like to do it because as you said, it is quite nerve wracking being around the bees!

I got my first sting today, while inspecting the hives. I knew I had been stung on the finger, stung is such the right word, ouch.

Amazed after the initial stinging feeling for about 5mins, nothing, nada, zilch. No swelling, no itching, nothing. Normally my hand will has swelled to my wrist by now 5hours after the sting, but nothing. I'm stunned.

I didn't think the treatment worked that well.

That's brilliant. :hurray:

Don't forget to tell them you've been stung when you're at the clinic this coming Wednesday.

DP once the treatment is over will you have to have a top up at anytime or will the odd sting from your bees do that.

Great to hear it's working for you.

"sounds like there needs to be a push to let them know, as it is helping me continue to keep bees."

of course the NHS doesn't actually exist simply to pander to the desires of the populace wrt their hobbies.

sure beeks are more likely to discover they are allergic to stings than the general population BUT the treatment is there to protect you from a general life threatening risk.

Doesn't sound like the NHS is there for anything much these days unless you pay privately

DP once the treatment is over will you have to have a top up at anytime or will the odd sting from your bees do that.

Great to hear it's working for you.

This is only the start of it, it goes on for 3years in total, after the initial weekly injections it then goes monthly for a year then every 6 weeks until the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back