Bee sting desensitisation course

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/live/13671/58194/58194.pdf

Just considering deaths prevented: "£18,070,000 per QALY gained compared with an adrenaline auto-injector plus high-dose antihistamine and advice."

Taking into consideration quality of life: "The Committee noted that in these analyses the ICER for Pharmalgen decreased to less than £30,000 per QALY gained. "

Looking at the long term benefits over > 10 years: "with reduced anxiety about re-stings after treatment with Pharmalgen the most plausible ICER would be less than £20,000 per QALY gained."

Conclusion: "The Committee concluded that Pharmalgen is an appropriate use of NHS resources for people with IgE-mediated allergy to bee and wasp venom, who have a high risk of stings."

Thanks for that pbh4. A very interesting read indeed!

Could be perversely interpreted as justification for homeopathic desensitisation in those who are stung 3.1 times per annum or less :D

Week 8

Had the week 6 injection today, as 2 previous injections had to be repeated due to reactions. Had the injection with Prof Frew today and was told off for not staying last time and must stay as he didnt want people collapsing at bus stops (wasnt just me that got told off).

I have an itchy arm with a little swelling but as its 0.4 of a normal size sting im pleased that there is very little swelling and the itching is only now and then.

I will see how it goes over the next 24hours as i can react quite heavily overnight sometimes.

I asked Prof Frew about the pepper taste and if it was histamine reaction to the venom and he said lots of people get some sort of taste or a tingling there before they have a reaction.

Thanks for that pbh4. A very interesting read indeed!

Could be perversely interpreted as justification for homeopathic desensitisation in those who are stung 3.1 times per annum or less :D

What would be that course Karol i didnt know there was something like that. not that i get away with just 3.1 stings a year, maybe 1 sting a month is good for me lol.

Week 8 update

woke up once during the nite to scratch my arm as it was itching but no more. Today my arm has a very small swollen area right where the injection was administered and it has itched only very ocasionally.

Good week.

Excellent that there should be no trace of a systemic reaction.

Local reactions are just what everybody gets.
Desensitisation is not a substitute for a decent beesuit! :)

trust me my suit wont be going in the bin. lol. I have a BBWear one and its good and i will be buying a second one for this summer as a second site.

woke up once during the nite to scratch my arm as it was itching but no more. Today my arm has a very small swollen area right where the injection was administered and it has itched only very ocasionally.

Good week.

Good news. :hurray:

Thanks for the link pbh4, that's really interesting.

NICE threshold for considering a treatment to be cost-effective (ICER) for the NHS is considered to be around £20,000-30,000 per QALY (ie UK gov'ment/taxpayer happy to stump up to £30000 for an extra year of healthy life for each UK citizen!)

So if a recent (2012) NICE document says ICER for desensitisation less than £20,000 than it will be very hard for a local PCT/CCG to justify refusing funding it for any particular patient. If confirmed anaphylaxis to a bee sting, in theory we should all be entitled to desensitisation therapy on the NHS...

That said- lots of uncertainties in the ICER calculation. Also- as already mentioned, the devil's advocate argument against hobby beekeepers having desensitisation therapy is that it's a 'lifestyle choice' that puts them at higher risk.

If I'm ever unlucky enough to develop hypersensitivity to bee stings and want to have the desensitisation treatment & carry on beekeeping, I'd probably salve my conscience with a small donation to Allergy UK (or similar charity). Wouldn;t come anywhere near to offsetting the NHS cost of course. I've paid my taxes!

goodbobby- your nearest hospital with allergy clinic and desensitisation will almost certainly be St Heliers, Epsom.

dpearce4 and oxnatbees- good luck with the rest of your treatment

Week 9

Sorry its a day late but im not surprised.

Interesting day yesterday. Arrived as normal and had injection 0.6 of a beesting, ouch, knew within 2mins it was going to be a difficult week. Sat down for the 30mins as i could feel the swelling on my arm as i was walking out of the treatment room. After 30mins with arm swelling nicely i left, and walked to brighton station, maybe 1mile, I was very out of breath (normally a bit out of breath due to the route) by the time i got there. Got the train to work and when i got off the train at Chi i felt a little groggy so walked to a nearer bus stop than i would normally use.

I got to work about 2hrs after the injection and was feeling a little fragile, arm swelling nicely, and walked into WW3 School was on lockdown due to pupil issues and had to go and help out, stress and adrenaline way up, by 11am i had spoken to the TA that works with me that i was feeling a bit fragile and just keep an eye on me. By midday i my throat felt like tonsilitus but 100times worse, swollen on the outside and inside, but not bad enough that my breathing was being interfered with, but enough to make sure i had my eppipen within easy reach just incase (i didnt need it or use it in the end).

After the end of lesson and clear up i was lucky enough that i could have a sit down I was able to take a breather, i was glad of this and was feeling a bit washed out. I finished work at the normal time and went home and fell asleep as was just amazingly tired. I slept for about 2hours.

Over night my arm swelled in the area that was injected down to my elbow, 15cm and is very itchy, with also 2 fingers on the hand feeling swollen so took off wedding ring just incase.

Today my arm has itched like mad, the swelling has slowly gone down but not fully yet. And i still feel really washed out, with a feeling like a frog in the throat.

Bugger, is all i will say.

I will be having a chat with the guys before i go next week, but i will be continuing with the treatment, it will just be a little slower.

Stick with it dp, your doing well and very brave and one day it will all be over and in the past and only the future with your bees to look forward to.

Stick with it dp, your doing well and very brave and one day it will all be over and in the past and only the future with your bees to look forward to.

Is that brave or stupid Red haha.

I tell myself its for the good everyday. The staff i work with think im bonkers, i tend to agree with them, and some of them are mad.

I hope you recover soon, and that next week will be a better one :)

Week 9 (late)

Sorry to all that have been following my trials and tribulations as i go through the desensitation process for being late to post for this week.

After a quick chat (and i do mean quick) on wednesday morning with the doc about my reaction last week to the injection, I had only managed to mention about the swelling down to my fingers that she said would be best to stay on the same dose. I did also tell her what other reactions i had had while she was getting the dose ready, which she made notes about.

I found the injection less painful and the swelling less than last week but i stayed at the hospital for about 45mins after i was given the injection as i felt light headed, after this improved we decided it was ok for me to go to work and the reaction was no where near as bad as last week after that point. I know i will be going up a dose next week as i feel the reaction i had was safe as i felt in control at all times and was fully aware of what was happening to my body. I was watched closely by the nurses at outpatients and they were happy with my reaction.

Roll on next week for the next increase in dose. I find it interesting that i react badly to the increase and then the second dose at the same level is much better, it does show its working. But the 12 week course is now 15weeks and im sure it will be more than that by the end, i recon it will end up 20weeks if it continues the same way. Mind you whats an extra few weeks if it works.

Sounds like a positive step. Hope it keeps going well!

It's good to hear that it appears to be working for you, and you should be fully protected for the beginning of the season. Good timing.

Have been reading your updates each, week glad all seems to be going to plan, I wish the teacher I worked with was a beekeeper but I suppose we'd never be able to agree on anything if that was the case!

glad it's working dp

- fortuitous that the start of our beekeeping season has been delayed !

Week 10

Increased this week. 0.4ml injection with 0.8 amount of 1 sting. No swelling so far today which is 9hrs since the injection, there is a little bit of itching but no where as much as last week or the week before.

Feeling good for this weeks one feels like the course is working :hurray:

:party:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back