Bee project needs helpers in Norfolk

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got some plans for ply nuc's (from John Everett) if you need a set

have you seen the videos for nuc boxes, and may i suggest that you set a date here on the forum say a certain saturday in a month so everyone can either avoid you or set the diaries to be there. for me your a long way away but if your short then say so i will turn up with a car full of tools and a lot of tea bags.

be warned tho i will arrive with two teenages a wife and two lap dog whippets.

a good person should easily be able to plough through that lot in a day and still have time for ice creams on the beach

I know we are down south compared to you but really it isnt quite that warm!. We have plenty of space and theres an enormous woodland next to the garden (forestry commission, not ours!) So the dogs would be happy. Tony suggested the 6th or 13th of Feb. The more nuc boxes we can get made up the more chance we have of growing the project as planned next year. We have 40 public apiary sites which are waiting for us to get going.

i think you might have got crossed wires with the use of nuc boxes,

if you were to set up fourty empty nuc boxes you would not catch many if at all any swarms, as they are to small a space for a swarm to choose, realy they should be over 25 litres at least so you are better of building brood boxes.

if on the other hand you think that a single nuc box will house a swarm or a set of brought bees it will,
but they would proberly set a swarm every fortnight because of the lack of exspansion room, and at the end of the year they would all die out because of the lack of food stores.

we and i do mean everyone here wants you to become the best beek in the world and none of us want you to fail in any shape or form

but perhaps we should try to guide you a little more with the great plan to make sure you are on to a winner from the begining. dont get me wrong i am not wanting to kill your ideas in fact i would like to make sure that you ideas are doubled and they then carry on

but please dont make a simple mistake or calculation upset the apple cart for you,

helpfully pete

I dont think i made myself clear! Sorry. I am crap at explaining myself on here. What we intend to do is build up the 13 hives so that we can remove some brood and food without running the colony down too much. Each time I do this I want to put it into a nuc box temporarily. Once it is queenright then it will be transferred after a short time to another site and put into a full brood. There is no way I can sort out all those sites in one year, it will take a long time and we are starting with 5 sites but hoping to overwinter some nucs ready for next year. I will pm my no... I am crap at explaining

Picton, apologies that geography means I can't help, but an observation.

Have you got stands on your building list (and budget) for these 7 hives plus nucs? Just a thought. R

I have always used hollow concrete blocks and I stand them on a couple of paving slabs to keep back the foliage a bit.

Thanks for being understanding! Most people just think I am losing my marbles.:eek:

me too. 6th Feb is fine. Just remind me though, my marbles went missing many years ago.

Righto mate - are you going? We need directions.............

after speaking to Jen on monday can i ask every one to take a step back please.

untill informed by Jen in her own time, the weekend meeting of the 6th and 7th is delayed,

if she can feel up to it , it will be as arranged the 6th and 7th or it might have to wait a week or so.

hedgrerow for once being tackfull !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

after speaking to Jen on monday can i ask every one to take a step back please.

untill informed by Jen in her own time, the weekend meeting of the 6th and 7th is delayed,

if she can feel up to it , it will be as arranged the 6th and 7th or it might have to wait a week or so.

hedgrerow for once being tackfull !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok pete, we were just trying to make arrangements for travel. Jen hasn't said anything on here?

Back