Bee Boles and what they look like?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbrood

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Whilst doing a little surfing on the web I came across IBRA's list of bee boles in the UK. I found it interesting because lots of them have images attached of the bee boles. There are some fascinating designs of bee boles

click here

BB

in the shire publication of bees hives and sheds they have alot of information on the same subject, i brought my copy from amazon for a quid

I am sure a great read, In my naivety I just thought bee boles were generally just piles of rock with a hole in the side, that quite clearly is not the case. It is also pleasant to see such a rich heritage in the country as a whole.

BEE BOLES AND BEE HOUSES BY A.M. FOSTER

SHIRE PUBLICATIONS LTD
ISBN 0852639031
if you look on the shire web site its about £5 to buy but have a look on amazone as the second hand ones go for pennies

but dont forget it is more of a panphelt than a book at 32 pages but well worth getting as when you go around some of the old houses you can easily spot them, some times they are now used for other uses like bird tables and plant pots

cheers Pete, I have just gone and bought it. cheapest on amazon £4.49 delivered, looking forward to having a quick read.

One not half a mile from my house.................... fascinating,
We have a south facing tall wall on the northern boundary... now that needs a bee ~ bole, not exactly sure how and if I could get a skep of bees to live in it tho!
any ideas?

had the book a few days now from amazon and it is spot. very interesting although booklet would describe it better as Pete stated.

BB

i must admit for a couple of quid the shire range of books is well worth it , but when you see the full publishers modern prices on there web site , it takes your breath away,

one of the things on my "just after winning the lottery to do list" is a long weekend in hay on wye, and that is realy going to cost me!!

just had a quick look at their site, I see what you mean, there is some thing in there for any one. It is pleasant just reading through the sections covered. Although I dont mean to mock but a book on sundials? who would buy that?

One not half a mile from my house.................... fascinating,
We have a south facing tall wall on the northern boundary... now that needs a bee ~ bole, not exactly sure how and if I could get a skep of bees to live in it tho!
any ideas?

1) buy a skep
2) Catch a swarm in it
3) Place skep in bole :):):)

What do I do then?

:seeya:
I am going to try it.... but first I have to catch me up a swarm!!!!bee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smillie

you might find this site interesting, click here

although I dont know why I thought it was illegal to keep bees in a skep these days... could be wrong.. I might have been reading an American web site.

BB

just had a quick look at their site, I see what you mean, there is some thing in there for any one. It is pleasant just reading through the sections covered. Although I dont mean to mock but a book on sundials? who would buy that?

I've got a couple of those!! ( handy if you want to make various sundail types)

Latest posts

Back