Bee basehive count....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a lot of stuff and nonsense over a simple typo... twisted into a native be bashing event by the usual trills!

Me I keep all sorts of bees... threatened native species and others... what is the problem??

Nos da

What typo ?
What native bee bashing ?

What typo ?
What native bee bashing ?

2017 !
should have been 2018 on the Beebase doc.......

and ( (if you have 5 minutes to waste) read back through the posts on this thread... unless the mods have run the blue censoring pencil through them!

Chons da

Not too happy with that.. :mad:..let me know when the next violent meet may occur...

Unlikely Steve, I think the old boy is now deceased. He got a bit to much drink one night and went over the top...nothing serious...christ he was in his 80's then :). Just an illustration of the fervour some beekeepers hold for "their" chosen bees.

If I may....
The "pure" ones are few enough and it's excellent that some take extraordinary care to maintain these stocks.
:winner1st::winner1st::winner1st:

Thank you... nice to see you appreciate all the hard work a few of us are doing to preserve and breed the stock of Cornish variant Amm

Nadelik Lowen

What exactly are people's issues with Trust ?!

Do you worry they are going to come along and take your hive away ? or tax you for having a beehive ? or sue you if someone gets stung ? or some other mad hat urban myth reason ?

The problem, and it is a big problem with beekeepers is far too many think they are above any regulation and should somehow operate in some shadowy hinterland, under the radar, with scant regard for other beekeepers or the public. Heaven forbid someone finds out about some bees in the vicinity ?!

The website is locked down. The data contained within is used by the NBU to direct SBI & RBIs who have to adhere to GDPR regulations where to check hives.

The resource is used in times of notifiable disease breakout to communicate to other beekeepers and ensure incidents are controlled.

If only we had to respond by law. It would be far better. It would have also helped when varroa was suspected in the UK in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

With the impending Asian Hornet issues, it's essential the NBU understand where apiaries are to ensure if found, traps are set in place to help trap in apiaries, and also help protect our hives.

As for 'not trusting an organisation that takes a view' on something. Grow up. You're doing a disservice to beekeeping by ignoring a reasonable request.

IMHO

S

As for 'not trusting an organisation that takes a view' on something. Grow up. You're doing a disservice to beekeeping by ignoring a reasonable request.

You are welcome to your opinion. So am I and the others I have spoken to about this.
I am sure the NBU does do some valuable work. However, on this issue, they have proven themselves not to be impartial. That is why I, and those others who have expressed the same opinion, have chosen not to give any information beyond that which we are legally required to do (e.g health certificates) to them.
End of story.

Its quite simple, the NBU gets proportionate funding from the EU for the number of colonies that are registered in the UK. Currently this allows them to implement the healthy bees plan and employ about 50 seasonal bee inspectors with an aim to try and help us beekeepers by inspections and education to keep the UK bee populations healthy, whatever their origin.
Less colonies registered = less bee inspectors, due to available funding.
The bee inspectors really don't mind what bees you have, although they would prefer them to be friendly, they just want to ensure they are healthy and remain that way.
Yes they might be directed by policy decisions, which may or may not make sense, but they are not bee police and no one is ever in trouble for keeping the wrong bees.
They are well trained, operate to ISO 18001 standards and are the envy of the world when it comes to honey bee inspectorate. Registering your colony numbers just helps them justify there job in a world of ever increasing cut backs in public spending. Oh and the service they provide costs nothing at point of use, yes it comes from tax payers but so does a lot of other things.

Any concerns - justified or otherwise - concerning black bees is not related to the survey. As has been pointed out, if more bees means more funding, that's all to the good. And knowing apiary sites any numbers could assist in controlling vespa velutina; on it's way to mess things up. :(

I have nothing to hide; I have updated my records.

I haven't updated mine as yet but probably will.

interestingly considering the view point that they are biased toward amm bees when one of my apiaries was inspected this year I felt the opposite.

the inspector was far from supportive of 'native bees' claiming them to be nothing more than horrible dark bees.

on the plus side once he had opened them up he said they were nice, calm and healthy, more so than he expected.

I do want to keep and breed amm but I am also interested in trying out other sub species, currently having a few BF and Italian queens, I have accepted that the chances of keeping them pure by open mating are almost nil so have invested in I.I

if anything I have been the one on the receiving end of negativity when speaking to other beekeepers about amm?

I am unwary of letting anyone know the location of my apiaries, even 'officials' but distrust is probably a bit strong.

I am unwary of letting anyone know the location of my apiaries,

I tend to be wary, rather than unwary about letting just anyone know.

They should do well out of EU funds if it is based on apiary numbers though, they seem to go onto beebase but never come off, even if you have only had the bees there once ever for two or three weeks.

Last edited:
The payment goes direct to central government - the devolved administrations then get their share as a lump sum to do what they will with, I don't know what Westminster and Holyrood do but Welsh Government send the whole lot to fund the NBU or the Welsh component thereof (basically pays for the RBI and SBI's).

Thought it might be....be better if maff (or what ever their current name is) also paid out the same as to other forms of livestock food producing farmers.

Other livestock food producing farmers don't get payments from maff (or what ever their current name is) as you put it so why should bee keepers.
Anyway this is :ot:

Last edited:
Other livestock food producing farmers don't get payments from maff (or what ever their current name is) as you put it so why should bee keepers.
Anyway this is :ot:

Don't they get paid out for destruction of their livestock due diseases like foot and mouth or TB positive cattle, etc, anymore?

Latest posts

Back