Bee basehive count....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I completed the questionnaire regarding types of bee and found it very biased but hope that there is at least a modicum of intelligence to see through the bias against anything that doesn't fit the model of a few.

I find seasonal inspections quite useful and helpful but I am sure not all SBI's are as good as the one I meet. I was initially wary as I have a number of black bee zealots close to some of my apiaries and thought I would be subjected to pressure to change. Far from it the SBI last told me that my bees are well, well above the average inspected and was enthusiastic when I suggested I was planning to sell more nucs and queens in the coming years.
S

Your Buckbees and whatever are safe. No take-over on the horizon.

I know they are, but I like all bees, no matter what the sub species and among others also have Amm from various places, like Ireland, Cornwall and even some from France.

Don't get this wrong. I may be the only person who is talking openly about this but I'm far from the only person who has chosen not to disclose information.

If you think the questionnaire was impartial, I suggest that you read it again.

B+, my point is that, whether the questionnaire, or your personal experiences with individuals, showed a bias or not is irrelevant to the BeeBase hive count. We all benefit from it and it will be helpful if we all participate.

... I was initially wary as I have a number of black bee zealots close to some of my apiaries ...
S

Black-bee zealots!? That’s horribly offensive. Why is somebody a zealot if they have, and is concerned about the future of black bees? My impression is rather that you’re the zealot.

Is Hivemaker a zealot?

Beebase hive count

Because of unregistered Beeks/ Apiaries etc there are so many unknowns.
I know some one who had bees which recently all died out. This past year he bought replacement nucs, £200 a throw. When hiving them,added frames of stores and drawn comb direct from his previous stock, inevitable outcome. Does not treat for varroa, no regular inspections, no training, not registered on bee base etc etc. He is puzzled as to how I can supply him with 300lb plus of honey each year when he hasn't harvested any himself. So...
I'm registered on BB. Will be notified if any of the nasties are found nearby. This OP won't know until something happens and probably not why even then. Whereas I will receive help/advice if necessary. I Have membership of BBKA, not sure of the value for money, follow what they say, also follow my own instincts, have no particular agenda of my own and just enjoy my beekeeping.
Have been recently wondering where we would be with Asian Hornet had there not been NBU actions compared to Europe or say Jersey? Agreed the inevitable will probably happen.
I am and always have been amongst the least likely fans of officialdom. However were I younger and looking to a long future in Bees, as opposed to be pushing up the daisies before too long, I think I would be considering joining them. (BBKA? say. For the want of knowing of any other body), and putting all my efforts into changing (their) direction. To a perhaps more sensible stance.
As in many things somebody needs to be in charge / running things especially if and when things go belly up.
So there you go. That's my two penneth for today.

Black-bee zealots!? That’s horribly offensive. Why is somebody a zealot if they have, and is concerned about the future of black bees? My impression is rather that you’re the zealot.

Is Hivemaker a zealot?
I think you are now just throwing stones, for whatever reason.

No, I don't believe Hivemaker is not a zealot, he does keep a different strain of bee but does not try and influence or bully others that his bees are the only one worth having, unlike the constant propaganda and mis-information being bandied about.

I am sorry if it offends you that I call the black bee keepers, zealots but I take people as I find them and I find most of the black bee brigade to be fanatical in their aim.
If you look at the definition of a zealot, apart from the religious aspect it fits very well.
'a person who is fanatical and uncompromising in pursuit of their religious, political, or other ideals'
S

If you look at the definition of a zealot, apart from the religious aspect it fits very well.

'a person who is fanatical and uncompromising in pursuit of their religious, political, or other ideals'

S

As I said, this applies nicely to yourself, Mr Zealot.

I

Beebase and therefore The National Bee Unit do a very good job to help to try and keep us safe from disease and they can't do this without funding and they get funding from, amongst other things, accurate statistics supplied by beekeepers. Their work is as important as the control of other livestock -- sheep, cows etc. -- to ensure our foodstuffs are safe to consume. The NBU run a network of Bee Inspectors who do an admirable job in a friendly and efficient manner. They monitor Asian Hornet incursions, check for American and European Foulbrood and are a mine of information should they come along to inspect your hives.

I have updated my beehive records and will continue to do so in the face of fatuous comments as to their untrustworthiness -- there is no valid reason not to.

:iagree:

I've reached the age where over time I have been called may things so that's fine, call me what you like if in your little world it makes you happy.
S

Note to self, put Mellifera troll into 'ignore' list as posts are not worth reading

What a lot of stuff and nonsense over a simple typo... twisted into a native be bashing event by the usual trills!

Me I keep all sorts of bees... threatened native species and others... what is the problem??

Nos da

B+, my point is that, whether the questionnaire, or your personal experiences with individuals, showed a bias or not is irrelevant to the BeeBase hive count. We all benefit from it and it will be helpful if we all participate.

Registration and supplying information to BeeBase is entirely optional.

I've reached the age where over time I have been called may things so that's fine, call me what you like if in your little world it makes you happy.

S

Note to self, put Mellifera troll into 'ignore' list as posts are not worth reading

Well Stiffy Sniffy Zealot isn’t reading my reply - but I find it strange that he thinks he can make offensive remarks, but reflect that same remark back to him, and I’m now a troll.

Well Stiffy Sniffy Zealot isn’t reading my reply - but I find it strange that he thinks he can make offensive remarks, but reflect that same remark back to him, and I’m now a troll.

Don't worry... he will not be seeing many posts as most of the more erudite beekeepers who frequent this forum are probably on his so called ignore list!

Yeghes da

I really wish there was a like buttong on this forum

Don't worry... he will not be seeing many posts as most of the more erudite beekeepers who frequent this forum are probably on his so called ignore list!

Yeghes da

:iagree: :winner1st:

I find nothing wrong with the member in question... quite the opposite.. as the old saying goes treat as you expect to be treated yourself.. and who you have disagreements with has been more than helpful to me..

Black-bee zealots!? That’s horribly offensive. Why is somebody a zealot if they have, and is concerned about the future of black bees?

If I may interrupt, the description has nothing to do with anyone who is concerned about the future of original black bees. The "pure" ones are few enough and it's excellent that some take extraordinary care to maintain these stocks.
But the Zealots are rather unbelievable. I've been threatened with physical violence for keeping "exotics" within mating distance of one such local mongrel keeper. A very large local association brainwashes it's individuals into keeping black bees (mongrel's in this case) and lies about the properties of anything else.
Zealot is the right word for some of these people.

If I may interrupt, the description has nothing to do with anyone who is concerned about the future of original black bees. The "pure" ones are few enough and it's excellent that some take extraordinary care to maintain these stocks.
But the Zealots are rather unbelievable. I've been threatened with physical violence for keeping "exotics" within mating distance of one such local mongrel keeper. A very large local association brainwashes it's individuals into keeping black bees (mongrel's in this case) and lies about the properties of anything else.
Zealot is the right word for some of these people.

Not too happy with that.. :mad:..let me know when the next violent meet may occur...

Latest posts

Back