Bee alergy - question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosmoking

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
1 Arrived 30/04/2013
Hi all. I was just thinking about the possibility of be(e)ing alergic to bee stings and wanted to know what medication should or could I have to hand if needed either, for me or a visitor to the house. Do I have an obligation to stock anything? I don't mind buying some sort of treatment as long as I don't get 'stung' financially Thanks very much.

They could trip on your path and break a leg as well. Dont worry about it.

what ever you use just make sure that it is NOT AN EPI PEN.

the best thing and safest thing by far to stick on a sting is a lump of ice and if they are old enough wrap the ice in whiskey as well.

DO NOT GO DOWN THE ROUTE OF USING OR CARRYING ANY FORM OF CHEMICAL OR DRUG TREATMENT AS ITS MORE AGGRO THAN HELPFULL

Just scratch it for twenty four hours, obtain as much sympathy as possible from family members, use it to your advantage and it will be gone in 24 hours!!
Seriously, if you get breathing problems go seek medical help immediately. Spend the money on a good bomb proof bee suit that will last for years and the odd sting you get (Maybe a couple a year) will be worth it!!
:party:

Antihistamines are available over the counter (or free from your GP if you live in lovely Wales).
If you are really worried about it then it's a good idea to make sure that someone knows when you are going to your apiary and when you intend to be back and that they (and you) have the address, and even better, the grid ref for your apiary in case you need an ambulance.

But, as everyone has said, don't worry about it

If you get stung don't scratch the spot - it will only make it worse.given time and a few stings you will find that you will hardly react at all.After 40 years of keeping bees I hardly know that I've been stung at all.Just make sure it's the bees that sting you and not the suppliers!.Anti-histamine tabs are the answer if the itch gets too intense to bear - otherwise just grin and bear it.

given time and a few stings you will find that you will hardly react at all.
Quick check of hives and tried nitrile gloves instead of the marigolds I usually wear. I got stung about three or four times and got quite shirty with OH who, having been left in charge of it, let the smoker go out:smash:
Strangely enough no reaction at all later :)
Only been stung once before, when fingers swelled up like sausages :(

Anti-histamine tabs are the answer if the itch gets too intense to bear

It has been suggested, by one medical expert I know, that the best time to take an antihistamine is a half hour BEFORE you get stung, taking them after is like closing the stable door ...

He recommended taking a tablet as a prophylactic before you open your hives.

Thanks for all your replies. Most helpful as usual and hopefully to others as well.

A reply as a medical man.

Is there actually anything that makes you think you might be allergic? If not as others say do not worry about it. It itches, swells and reddens a bit then goes away.

Generic antihistamines is the way to go - e.g chlorpheniramine is cheaper than piriton and is all that the latter contains.

If stings do turn out to be a bother then taking one before you open the hives is a good idea.

If there is a basis for your worry about allergy then have a chat with your GP.- it need not stop you keeping bees.

Have fun.

Des

for those who do find they have serious allergies to bee venom, having had a chat with the immunology dept upstairs it seems that bee sting allergy is the one that they have best results with desensitisation (>90% "cure" - although all patients advised to avoid being stung after but beeks being beeks!!!!).

Just some general comments.

I agree that a cheap generic antihistamine half an hour before being stung does seem to help.

I get stung through marigold gloves (usually when I crush an inquisitive bee that has crawled between my fingers). It would seem that, after it has gone through the rubber of the glove, the sting barely breaks the skin. You can feel it, but much less venom gets injected and I get very little swelling.

I use a lightweight bee suit and occasionally trap a bee where it stings me through the fabric. I find the ammonia solution pens sold by Boots do a good job of neutralising venom where I have received a good dose.

I asked my GP for an Epipen and got a lecture on how unnecessary it was. In his opinion simply adopting the recovery position was all that was advisable. Conversely, the allergy and sensitisation expert at Harrogate General thinks they are a good idea. Go figure!

Are you allergy prone? I am and at my very first contact with bees I got stung on purpose and had my epipen at the ready as I am allergic to wasp stings and numerous other things can send me into anaphylactic shock!.
Nothing happened!
So suggest you do this - however some long term beekeepers start to get a bit senstive to the sting - protection is best - two pairs of vitrile gloves and make absolutely sure everything is bee tight! Piriton is carried by a lot of people and taken before contact with bees
Louise

Try the blue vitrile gloves - I wear two pairs - they come in three sizes I think I got them from just gloves uk - you can guess the website! I havn't been stung through these and they are sensitive so you can feel if you trap a bee in your fingers whereas with marigolds you can't.
Louise

just because you are allergic to one or more things (inc. wasp stings) doesn't mean you'll be allergic to bee stings (even if relatives are).

being a multi-"allergic" individual is a bit like playing the lottery with more than 6 numbers. it doesn't determine which numbers come up you just have more chances than "normal" players!!!!!!

And.................... for those of you advocating general epipen carrying - not a good idea! It is a very, very unpleasant experience having to take this - or being given it if you are sem/unconscious I know because it has happened more times than I like to remember! I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy - only for dire emergencies if you are really, really allergic to bees - and if you are you shouldn't be a beekeeper!!
Louise

Wasp Sting vs Bee Sting

Can I ask a question here about the differences between wasp and bee stings?
Can a person be allergic to wasp stings and not to bee stings and vice versa?
The guy in whose garden I keep my bees has a new girl friend who says she is very reactive to wasp stings (note not "allergic") as a result he is suggesting I move my bees on. I am visiting him this weekend to talk things over.
I think it important that anywhere I keep bees should be completely committed and enthusiastic, so I might well move them anyway. But to try and persuade him back to his enthusiasm, can anyone give me (or point me to a resource about) the differences between bee and wasp stings and the reactions people might have to them.

Latest posts

Back