Batten down those hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
why has every bit of weather got to have a name nowadays? and it seem that now we have to have a catastrophic handle to even a slightly inclement happening - not just hurricane strength winds what next? a bit of a breeze Bernard, slightly draughty Desmond!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mind you, we'll still have some maintaining it's like the middle of summer in some obscure little pocket on the East coast!!

why has every bit of weather got to have a name nowadays? and it seem that now we have to have a catastrophic handle to even a slightly inclement happening - not just hurricane strength winds what next? a bit of a breeze Bernard, slightly draughty Desmond!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mind you, we'll still have some maintaining it's like the middle of summer in some obscure little pocket on the East coast!!
It's like everything else these days , folk are becoming Americanized , not that i have anything against American people but it does make my skin crawl.

I had a nice L-shaped 6ft high screen on the garden side of the hives, to force them to fly above head height, but one side has been blown down and the other is looking distinctly saggy. And there's no sign of it easing yet - my daughter's flight from Dublin to Holland has just been cancelled like many other flights today.

I think the British are a bit obsessed by the weather, the first topic we talk about when we meet someone is the weather, perhaps it's because we have such changeable weather or we are an eccentric lot, who knows ?

I have a camera pointing at one of the hives and I just saw one return as though it was any other day with a calm breeze. Hopefully the other 49999 have more sense!

why has every bit of weather got to have a name nowadays ?
Yes.....keep them coming :)
I'm just waiting for Storm Stanley....That would amuse husband :)
I'll never have one named after me.......sigh ......very sad face!!!

Went to Association Apiary this am: two hives plus stand blown down, brood boxes inverted, frames everywhere.. No rain luckily so we put them all back together again..Bees not too happy but 11c so only hundreds of casualties.

A good advert for using ratchet straps.. at least hives would have kept together..

No problems with the hives themselves, but one of the trees nearby had blown down and was hanging precariously. Any excuse to break out the chainsaw and do an impression of Ash from Evil Dead!

I may start naming my farts ! Far worse than any of these so called storms .

Went to Association Apiary this am: two hives plus stand blown down, brood boxes inverted, frames everywhere.. No rain luckily so we put them all back together again..Bees not too happy but 11c so only hundreds of casualties.

A good advert for using ratchet straps.. at least hives would have kept together..

Edit

Photos

http://tinyurl.com/pawr8vx

It's like everything else these days , folk are becoming Americanized , not that i have anything against American people but it does make my skin crawl.

Sorry but I find that everyone "across the pond" have that affect!

No longer are things compulsory, they have to be Mandatory etc.etc.

America land of the free (if you're a raving, God bothering extremist)! :rant:

:calmdown::calmdown::calmdown:

Anyhow, must be bad to make the news outside of London!

Latest posts

Back