Flooded hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very sorry for the unfortunate loss.

I wanted to share that I found it easier to use the honey extractor to dry frames. It also releases other gunky bee debris. I'd be one to totally keep the frame and comb after at lease two rinse and bleach cycles because they are precious, and I would not mind the work because it feels respectful. But then I also enjoy rote tasks because it lets my brain chill out and often I get my best ideas/solutions.

I would not keep the honey for human consumption. I would rinse and bleach ASAP then extract only the capped the honey and keep them in a jar in case bees need to be fed in the future. But I would also only do this if I am sure the hives were healthy.

**About the frames with pollen, I likely would scrap those parts off if there's a plastic foundation underneath. Or cut out parts with a sharp knife. So some frames may have multiple steps.

Whatever, you decide, it may look and feel better once the equipment settled, and then you can plan for 2024 bees.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back