Batten down those hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's an oak down up the road so been out, this afternoon to gather "winter fu-el" not sure that the old man Good King Wenceslas aided was carrying a chainsaw but . . . . . . . .

+ I'm not that old yet!

Just been watching the news ... it's a bit windy down here on the Costa del Fareham but nothing to write home about. But ... I feel for all those poor people who are flooded out of their homes .. some of them for the second time in recent years - The North and West seem to have really caught a packet. Good luck to everyone threatened by the weather.

Despite dire warnings of heavy rain and high winds...we have had two good days...both dry......so we have done lots of outside jobs. Now exhausted and waiting for the rolled lamb belly to cook with veggies. Thank god for the Everhot. We are warm and dry and will soon be fed! Will be hefting hives tomorrow.....checking which need fondant.....but only if it's a dry day...fed up of this winter already.
...and we found a drowned mouse outside my Bee Barn....arrrrgh.....in a bucket of rainwater .....so tomorrow the spare rodent bait box will be moved to my Bee Barn.

why has every bit of weather got to have a name nowadays ?
Yes.....keep them coming :)
I'm just waiting for Storm Stanley....That would amuse husband :)
I'll never have one named after me.......sigh ......very sad face!!!

I could think of a few choice words for the weather we have had lately and it doesn't begin with a girls name

I could think of a few choice words for the weather we have had lately and it doesn't begin with a girls name

Not looking good in Cumbria again, looking at some pictures of Carlisle I thought what a funny place to have double yellow lines on the edge of a river, then realized it was supposed to be a road, (wonder how many fish get displaced in these floods) seems like a silly place to build houses with all the hillsides in the area that could be used for that, with no risk of flooding at all.

Not looking good in Cumbria again, looking at some pictures of Carlisle I thought what a funny place to have double yellow lines on the edge of a river, then realized it was supposed to be a road, (wonder how many fish get displaced in these floods) seems like a silly place to build houses with all the hillsides in the area that could be used for that, with no risk of flooding at all.

Quote from Craig Cowperthwaite of the Environment Agency in January of this year

"Mr Cowperthwaite said the new flood defences had been tested by "extreme weather" on three occasions since they were installed.

He added: "That amounts to about £180m of flood damage avoided, so money well spent.

"You can never say never to flooding happening, but what we can say is Carlisle is a well protected city.

"The flood defences we have put in place would accommodate and defend against the flooding of 2005. The city would be safe from flooding."

I'll bet he's regretting those words .. but it begs the question - with all these new flood defences breached - has the climate deteriorated further ?

.. but it begs the question - with all these new flood defences breached - has the climate deteriorated further ?

No matter what the climate is doing, houses should not be built next to rivers, high on the sides of hills are the common sense place for houses.

No matter what the climate is doing, houses should not be built next to rivers, high on the sides of hills are the common sense place for houses.

I agree ... but we've been building houses alongside rivers almost since the Romans left . bit late for some of them now. I thought the current house building regulations were supposed to prevent houses being built in places that were prone to flooding ?

I agree ... but we've been building houses alongside rivers almost since the Romans left . bit late for some of them now. I thought the current house building regulations were supposed to prevent houses being built in places that were prone to flooding ?

But a few years ago we were told there would be no more flooding and we would have a Mediterranean climate, so we should plant Mediterranean-type plants in our gardens. Some of our neighbours did that, and their drought-loving plants drowned!

Not too many hills in the vale of York :(
However the problems in our village during 2007 were compounded by longstanding lack of maintenance of the drainage system. The major dykes had not been desilted for years, amateur culverts grossly undersized installed by riparian owners. The list went on. It took too long to get the rectification work completed but since completion there have been serious episodes of rain which were drained out of the village without problems.
The EA seem to want to ignore the problems unless their failures can be pushed into the glare of sustained publicity. Interestingly it didn't take too long to get the flood walls at Hull docks raised after the overtopping during the tidal surge of a couple of years ago.
Water management isn't rocket science but it does need nous.

The Romans didn't build on water meadows as is happening now.in addition the recent building regs make you have low access in to the house, which results in the ground floor being less than 100 mm above street level

Well 12'+ of rain in 24 hours all that water has to go somewhere.

I am from Cumbria and talking to my mum at the weekend she described the rain as unbelievable from Friday through Saturday and that's from someone used to a bit of rain. There were lots of small communities cut off for a while and damaged roads but the water in that part of the world can go down as fast as it comes up so apart from the poor people flooded things will soon get back to normal.

Last edited:
I'll refer you to my previous statement post #30 - we had an rgument on this subject a few years ago in a council meeting when an application came in for a development on what I maintained ws a flood plain - the clerk checked with the county and they stated it wasn't so we couldn't object so the development was passed, I had some old photographs of the area at home - as well as copies of the original deeds for the area in question (the land was once farmed by my uncle Rhys who retired to Brynmair which was in the middle of his land)
The council were right - it wasn't a flood plain - the house has now been built in what was, less than a century ago, the middle of the river bed!!!!!!

The Romans didn't build on water meadows as is happening now....

Exactly !! I think the Romans knew more about water and where it was likely to go than our present town planners.

Whether these abnormal rains are part of climate change is largely irrelevant - what is distressing is that rivers are flooding more than in living history and the levels they are flooding to are significantly higher than in past floods.

We are fortunate - if our home was flooded the most of Portsmouth would be under water so it's unlikely to happen but when I look at what has happened in Carlisle and some other parts of the NW it really is a tragedy for those poor people at any time, let alone just before Christmas.

A lot of the houses flooded in Carlisle are, however, not recent builds - although the river Eden runs right through the centre of the town, many of the houses there have been there a long time. In addition, since the flood in 2005 millions have been spent on flood defences for the place - which now appear to have been completely inadequate.

Latest posts

Back