Bait hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi guys
What are your views on the number of bait hives in a given area?
For example I have access to a factory that is on about 3 acres of land and I figured that there are about 4 or 5 decent spots to locate bait hives.
The factory is fairly isolated i.e. not in a built up area but I have seen honey bees foraging around the yard and it is also close to a nature reserve - would it be worth putting 4 or 5 hives in 3 acres or is that overkill.
I put 1 bait hive there this morning as you can see in the picture.
Les

As with Veg.

If you have the spare kit go for it.

I set one today a standard BB converted to TBH/ bait hive as a friend is keen to start a TBH.

Might want to camouflage it with a bit of plastic or whatever, depending on the local propensity for nicking stuff.

I coud do with one of those old 45 gallon drums !
Can not find ANY in Cornwall... at an affordable price anyway !!

try a company called 'IDF' ( international drilling fluids) they have ( or used to) a research and testing facility in cornwall ( I delivered a load of 200ltr drums to them, a few yrs ago )

International Drilling Fluids

Contact details
Address: Par Moor Road, Par, Cornwall PL24 2SQ
West Country
Tel: 01726 817373

Never seen Blue Bait Hives before :)

Yes, I'd have thought that bait hives would work best where there were fewer alternative possibilities.
In this situation, I'd expect that the 'baiting' of your hive would be particularly important, to have them choose yours from a range of alternative possibilities.

mmmmm not unless you can get them cleaned out first! ! ! !

The drums aren't exactly environmentally friendly + our local Fire Service would not be impressed!
Where they have any labeling at all, the drums appear to be marked "Irritant" or "corrosive"! :willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

I had mixed results on a flat roof last year, two colonies captured then overrun by wasps in late August!!!

Are you using any lure in the bait hive?

I should imagine the more options you give a visiting swarm then the better chance you will have of catching it.

Good luck

Grant

Hi guys
I will answer some of your questions in no particular order.
The bait hive is well hidden from view (I put the two plastic barrels to block the only view to the hive).
I am using lemon grass oil as bait with old drawn comb.
There isn’t much of a range of alternative possibilities for the bees as the ‘blue hives’ have the openings shut – anyway why would the bees prefer them to the 5 star accommodation of the bait hive :D.
I don’t work for Ross :).
I think elf & safety would have a field day on this site as well as your local fire department (but in the factories defence they are mid move).
I have decided to put two bait hives at this site and see what happens - I might even try out some ley lines :reddevil:

make up some more bait boxes and put them everywhere. these work out about £5 each and thats just the frames the tin is old printing plates free. the wood is knackered pallets also free
better wanted in a box than a pest somewhere else

Latest posts

Back